Sportsnet: Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli prepared to match any offer sheet on Leon Draisaitl

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Offer sheets don't exist anymore because they are taken so personally and they put a target on the GM's back. With that said, if someone offersheets Draisaitl 10mil, then McJesus will for sure get his 14mil.

GM's aren't doing their jobs if they don't explore every option to make their team better. If the offersheet is the best way to do it, any GM should be willing to do it. It's a tool on their toolbelt and most other GM's know it exists. The same way GM's try to get their guys signed before that happens, too. Players know it exist, which is why some of them may wait to agree to contract deals before knowing what is out there available to them. Business is business. Everyone involved is going to do what's best for themselves. And that varies from GM to GM and player to player.

This said. It would be curious how many teams have made offers to players that were just straight up not accepted by the player. I'm sure that info hasn't been leaked out as much, since there is no fall out from it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'd offer up to 12m+ a year for him from the Sharks. Best case, you get a #1C to replace Thornton. Worst case, you screw over the Oilers who are a division rival.

Win-Win to me, not like EDM is going to be trading with us much anyways so who cares if you burn that bridge.

12m for a guy who hasn't really done anything yet?

you can have him!

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Seriously nobody is going to offer draisaitl 10+ million. The Oilers don't have to worry about that.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
This just further shows how horrible of a GM chia is. Why would he even say anything? It only hurts his cause..Teams can mess with him if they wanted to and now he would be forced to overpay..

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
This just further shows how horrible of a GM chia is. Why would he even say anything? It only hurts his cause..Teams can mess with him if they wanted to and now he would be forced to overpay..

What about all the other GM's that have said the same about their RFA's when asked? They're all horrible as well?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'll laugh when McDavid signs for 9M and Draisaitl signs for 7M for 8 years and everyone is choked they signed less than they thought.

You are kidding yourself if you think McDavid is going to sign for 9 million after the season he had+ pressure from the NHLPA. 7M for Drai is also selling him incredibly short.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I'll laugh when McDavid signs for 9M and Draisaitl signs for 7M for 8 years and everyone is choked they signed less than they thought.

Anything is possible, but then, the question becomes...why isn't it done yet ?

Is Chiarelli really trying to get him to sign for cheaper than that ? To a point where he would risk an offersheet ?

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
You are kidding yourself if you think McDavid is going to sign for 9 million after the season he had+ pressure from the NHLPA. 7M for Drai is also selling him incredibly short.

I really wonder just how much pressure the NHLPA would put on McDavid. If he signed a record breaking deal and raises the bar for the superstars that will just lower the bar for all the other NHLPA members.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Why even say that publicly? Sounds like something MacT would do. Keep yer yapper shut Chia.

Cool yer jets hater.

It was brought up in a Oilers Now interview as a piece of why having cap space is important. He then went on to say there was nothing to even suggest an offersheet might happen. Just that its good to have that available. A just in case situation.

In context it was a very smart comment and in general is a good idea.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I really wonder just how much pressure the NHLPA would put on McDavid. If he signed a record breaking deal and raises the bar for the superstars that will just lower the bar for all the other NHLPA members.

Yeah. The middle class of the NHLPA have been the big winners in the salary cap era.

Star players consistently sign for less than what they could get on the open market, and it leaves lots of cap left over for guys like Clarkson to make way too much.

I suspect they wouldn't be all that happy if the real stars all started asking for cap max and ate up all of those middle class dollars.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

It's a hard capped league, fixed to Hockey Related Revenues.

Assuming that you play for a team that spends to the cap, every NHLPA member must understand that every dollar that McDavid signs for is a dollar that isn't available to them.

If I'm a mid-tier NHL player, a large cap contract could push me (a current NHLPA member) out of the NHL for a younger player on an ELC (not currently an NHLPA member.)

Why would voting members of the NHLPA apply any pressure at all?

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Anything is possible, but then, the question becomes...why isn't it done yet ?

Is Chiarelli really trying to get him to sign for cheaper than that ? To a point where he would risk an offersheet ?

We don't know that they don't have a deal already done, and are just waiting on July 1st so that it can be announced with the Connor McDavid deal.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I thought under the newish cba the max years an outside team can offer an RFA was 5 ?
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but a team that would wish to offersheet a player can offer the max of 7 years. However, the AAV is based on 5, so if Player A signed a 7x7 offersheet, Player A will be with his new team for 7 years, but when looking at compensation, the contract would be treated as being over $9,388,080 AAV, 7x7 would be $9,800,000 based on 5 years, which would garner the team Player A left four 1st round draft picks.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but a team that would wish to offersheet a player can offer the max of 7 years. However, the AAV is based on 5, so if Player A signed a 7x7 offersheet, Player A will be with his new team for 7 years, but when looking at compensation, the contract would be treated as being over $9,388,080 AAV, 7x7 would be $9,800,000 based on 5 years, which would garner the team Player A left four 1st round draft picks.

This

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Because opposing GM's know that if he is asked, that's the token answer that a GM gives in this situation. It's not like he is out there bragging it up, he answered a question asked by a reporter. A "no comment" would have just added fuel to the fire. Most hockey fans didn't even hear about this, or didn't care much. Only hockey nerds like us who check the boards multiple times a day.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Remember all those offersheets that Gaudreau and Doughty got?

Ya me neither...

You need 3 years to get an OS--Gaudreau only had 2 years so he couldn't get an OS

Offer sheets are rare.

I think the ones more likely to get them will be low cost ones that cost only a 2nd or 3rd as compensation against a team near the cap.

This year its just Drai and another forward slot.

next year gets interesting. you have 8 RFAs and 2 UFAs (combined $3.3M)

If you sign the RFAs at just what the currently make not counting Drai and McJesus.
you are looking at about

$18M+ 18/19 cap increase

From these 7 other RFAs who get raises from current salary and how much?

for the sake of argument lets say $4M goes to those player raises.

That leaves $15M+ 18/19 cap increased to handle both their salaries. If you sign McJesus for $9M that leaves around $6M for Drai.

It becomes easier if they were to move RNH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad