Sportsnet: Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli prepared to match any offer sheet on Leon Draisaitl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...li-prepared-match-offer-sheet-leon-draisaitl/

The Eberle-for-Ryan Strome deal with the New York Islanders immediately frees up $3.5-million in cap space for next season. It also puts Edmonton almost $24-million under the upper limit, according to capfriendly.com, which leaves it in no danger of losing Draisaitl even if a rival team comes calling on July 1.

"There’s always the chatter and I want to be firm and clear that we have a significant amount of space and will match anything," Chiarelli said Thursday.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Someone like Vegas should just throw a massive offer at Draisaitl. Force Edmonton to have two players over 10m each.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I can see Bergevin doing it. He is throwing away prospects for the now.

He needs a #1 center.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Vegas 12 x 7 :laugh:

Mr Nice Guy George McPhee, who values friendship and harmony over his team being competitive? Not likely. :laugh:

Joking, but after his kid glove handling of the Anaheim/Minnesota situations, id seriously doubt he jams that knife into Chiarelli's back.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I wonder if any team desperate for a center and high enough on him is willing to play dirty and offer a 9-10M per year deal a la Vanek offer sheet from 2007. Even if Edmonton matches that really makes it difficult on their cap situation moving forward.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
In before Carolina or Vegas offers 10m++ to Draisaitl! Would be ****ing hilarious, but brutal for Edmonton fans.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Keep in mind with offer sheets the player has to want to leave. What better situation is there in the NHL? McDavid, brand new rink, rabid fan base, a city that 'feels like home' (he's compared Edmonton to Cologne more than once).

Leon's not going anywhere.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Mr Nice Guy George McPhee, who values friendship and harmony over his team being competitive? Not likely. :laugh:

Joking, but after his kid glove handling of the Anaheim/Minnesota situations, id seriously doubt he jams that knife into Chiarelli's back.

Chia would take that and run. 4 top 10 1st round draft picks with a strong draft class coming up? That's a no brainer.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why even say that publicly? Sounds like something MacT would do. Keep yer yapper shut Chia.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Chia would take that and run. 4 top 10 1st round draft picks with a strong draft class coming up? That's a no brainer.

No chance. #1 C's don't come along every day, particularly not with Leon's size and vision. Not matching would be worth his job.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
In before Carolina or Vegas offers 10m++ to Draisaitl! Would be ****ing hilarious, but brutal for Edmonton fans.

If you're Draisaitl, would you sign it?

$7.75m in Edmonton (Tarasenko contract) to play with McDavid or Carolina/Vegas at 10m++?

Funny thing, is I'd say that the contracts for him and McDavid are likely done, and waiting on July 1st, earliest that McDavid can sign his extension.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
7 years at 9 AAV from Montreal. Might not do it, but it's worth a shot. Although these teams do trade quite often, so I doubt Bergevin would want to hurt that relationship.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

yup, that would be incredibly stupid and counter productive of Vegas. They left players on the table for picks, to turn around and overpay for Draisaitl would be a disaster. They will still be bad and have to give away their upcoming high picks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If you're Draisaitl, would you sign it?

$7.75m in Edmonton (Tarasenko contract) to play with McDavid or Carolina/Vegas at 10m++?

Funny thing, is I'd say that the contracts for him and McDavid are likely done, and waiting on July 1st, earliest that McDavid can sign his extension.

He'll take the money and run.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Keep in mind with offer sheets the player has to want to leave. What better situation is there in the NHL? McDavid, brand new rink, rabid fan base, a city that 'feels like home' (he's compared Edmonton to Cologne more than once).

Leon's not going anywhere.
There are plenty of better situations than Edmonton. Especially city life.
Brand new rink means nothing. Ditto with rabid fan base as players like the anonymity of the US.

He may be happy where he is, but if someone throws something stupid like 12mil at him, I think he takes it and sees if Edmonton matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad