Sportsnet: Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli prepared to match any offer sheet on Leon Draisaitl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Even if he signs an offer sheet I imagine the Oilers will just match it and, if it's a stupid amount of money, trade him in a year. McDavid's extension doesn't start for another season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If McDavid gets 13M+ and Draisaitl gets on offersheet @ 9M+ how does Chiarelli keep both?

i see no reason for Draisatl to sign an offer sheet, he is in a great situation,
no reason to ***** out for the money, and thereby not only Cap-cripple a future team, but also walk away from the promise of yeras of success and fun staying with McDavid

but the irony would be delicious, as we celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Vanek and Penner offer sheets

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Even if he signs an offer sheet I imagine the Oilers will just match it and, if it's a stupid amount of money, trade him in a year. McDavid's extension doesn't start for another season.

Trade him for what ?
You really think you're gonna get the equivalent of four 1st on the trade market for a Draisaitl, signed at $10.0m per, or maybe even longer ? I don't see it.

If Chiarelli's doesn't feel comfortable with the salary and terms of the offersheet (in which case, we're probably talking about the last bracket of compensation), I really think his best option is to take the compensations, and try to deal one or two of those for a decent replacement.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Do people realize that the player has to actually accept said offer sheet for it to matter? I can't imagine he's going to want to leave what they have in going in EDM. He's going to get paid regardless. I don't see him going anywhere.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Yeah, not it isn't. Hockey is a team sport and you need other players to support the superstar. Winning a Stanley Cup is a war of attrition and without depth you aren't going to get very far. A team of two or three top end talents, and a bunch of cannon fodder, is not going anywhere. Unless they are finding ways of bringing in cheap top end talent to support those star players, the result is always predictable.

There is 62 million other dollars to spend to surround McDavid. Him taking up 17% of the cap isn't going to prevent the oilers from surrounding him with a good team.

Stupid contracts like the Lucic one are going to do that.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Do people realize that the player has to actually accept said offer sheet for it to matter? I can't imagine he's going to want to leave what they have in going in EDM. He's going to get paid regardless. I don't see him going anywhere.

Well if McDavid can get 13.25 M there is no reason why Draisaitl couldn't get 9.5M atleast after the season he just had.

If the Oilers are not willing to do that, he can force their hand and basically ask them if he is worth it to them or not.

Sure the cap won't be easy to handle for the Oilers but if McD gets 13.5 (which is very reasonable but also not a huge discount) why should Draisaitl be the one that takes the big sacrifice?

If I am Bergevin, I am drawing up a 5yr x 9.65M offer right now...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sabers should offer sheet him for payback on the Vanwk offer sheet. 7 years 8 million.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Trade him for what ?
You really think you're gonna get the equivalent of four 1st on the trade market for a Draisaitl, signed at $10.0m per, or maybe even longer ? I don't see it.

If Chiarelli's doesn't feel comfortable with the salary and terms of the offersheet (in which case, we're probably talking about the last bracket of compensation), I really think his best option is to take the compensations, and try to deal one or two of those for a decent replacement.
Trade him for players who aren't 2-4 years away from stepping into the NHL. There will be a market next summer for a big centreman who can score.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Well if McDavid can get 13.25 M there is no reason why Draisaitl couldn't get 9.5M atleast after the season he just had.

If the Oilers are not willing to do that, he can force their hand and basically ask them if he is worth it to them or not.

Sure the cap won't be easy to handle for the Oilers but if McD gets 13.5 (which is very reasonable but also not a huge discount) why should Draisaitl be the one that takes the big sacrifice?

If I am Bergevin, I am drawing up a 5yr x 9.65M offer right now...

The player still has to accept it. Why would a player leave what they have going on in EDM for what they have in MTL? Either way, I don't believe for a second that this even gets that far.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Trade him for players who aren't 2-4 years away from stepping into the NHL. There will be a market next summer for a big centreman who can score.

Don't get me wrong, there will be teams interested in Draisaitl, should he hit the trade market, a year removed from the Oilers matching an offersheet. I don't think you're gonna get 30 teams though, as some may not need a center, others won't be able to fit that kind of contract, or their GMs might not think Draisaitl is worth that kind of money.

But I'm not sure you get the value of four 1sts on the trade market...even if Draisaitl repeats a 70-point season. If he fells short (which honestly, I don't expect him to), then the Oilers are in a world of trouble.

Offersheeting Draisaitl to a $10.0m contract is a HUGE gamble by itself. Matching it, with the hopes that you can use him for a year, and then trade him...might prove to be an even bigger one. I'm really not convinced it would be Chiarelli's best option to match if he doesn't like the contract. If he matches, he's gotta be ready to live with it. Otherwise, he's better off taking the compensation I think.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Don't the offer sheet formulas only account for 5 years of a contract not the entire term? 5x9 would be awesome then they have to deal with it sooner

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Sabres should offer sheet him for payback on the Vanwk offer sheet. 7 years 8 million.

Why would Draisaitl sign such a deal?

The Oilers would be ecstatic if Draisaitl would sign such a deal, because that would be a sure-fire match and as good a deal as they could expect him to sign .

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
The player still has to accept it. Why would a player leave what they have going on in EDM for what they have in MTL? Either way, I don't believe for a second that this even gets that far.

What exactly do they have "going on" in Edmonton? One year of sudden success means they are a dynasty in the making? :amazed:

There many teams in the NHL with something "going on." A lot of them better constructed than the Oilers. Yes, McDavid is the best offensive player in the game, but the rest of the team is middling without him. Could you imagine if Nashville came up with an offersheet? Now there's a team with something "going on."

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017

He would sign an offer sheet for the $$$$$$$$

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Decent reason for the Oilers not to begin negotiations with lowball offers, i guess. if he and his agent feel he's worth a certain percentage to the team vs McDavid and it's rumoured McDavid is getting close to $14m, EDM had better lob out something relatively realistic right away or they suffer later when he ends up costing $1.5-2m more per year than he would have signed for without an offer sheet in the air.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Habs should send an offer of 9.8 millionx7
Draisaitl won't have to be lowballed and offered 6-6.5 mil a year less than connor. Oilers would have a hard time matching and paying out 23mil/year for two forwards

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

that player accepts it knowing full well the oilers will match.
ten he gets what he feels is fair at 9.5, and not almost half of what mcdavid will make

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets should just offer $12 Million for 8 years. He'd look good on a line with Scheifele and Laine, also Morrissey and him were good friends.

If Edmonton matches it sparks their rivalry up.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but a team that would wish to offersheet a player can offer the max of 7 years. However, the AAV is based on 5, so if Player A signed a 7x7 offersheet, Player A will be with his new team for 7 years, but when looking at compensation, the contract would be treated as being over $9,388,080 AAV, 7x7 would be $9,800,000 based on 5 years, which would garner the team Player A left four 1st round draft picks.

ahh , thanks for explaining this , owe you a cold one :)

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Jets should just offer $12 Million for 8 years. He'd look good on a line with Scheifele and Laine, also Morrissey and him were good friends.

If Edmonton matches it sparks their rivalry up.

Winnipeg have way too many key RFAs on their roster to do that in my opinion.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Habs should send an offer of 9.8 millionx7
Draisaitl won't have to be lowballed and offered 6-6.5 mil a year less than connor. Oilers would have a hard time matching and paying out 23mil/year for two forwards

Would be funny if Price walked and those picks ended up being top 5 every year.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
yah if he signs an offer sheet for money he does take some risk of overpricing himself and thus becoming an immovable contract.....it's justifiable as a player getting what teams are willing to pay.....but may not be the best move for him if he wants to have a good career....imo theres a good reason why rfa's typically don't get too much too soon as it can hurt their legacy and their longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad