Post-Game Talk: Oilers give a wet dream without Drai

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kostin is awesome. We actually won a trade, I repeat we actually won a trade. Hell has truly frozen over or was that the US during Christmas?

Nurse may have had a rare game worthy of his salary. I don’t expect this every night from him but it has to happen way more often than it has in the past (never?). Great game from him, needs to maintain this level of play now.

Nuge is huge. Always has been, always will be.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I thought Nurse had a solid game. Jumped into the play and scored the game winner. Currently he has 20 points and leads the team with +13. He was good handling the puck tonight and made some really good passes.

He just needs to simplify his game in our end, and clear pucks when he's getting forechecked, rather than make poor passes under pressure that result in turnovers.
His play in the offensive side of the ice is usually good. Adept at joining rush chances and his wheels, even if he skates into trouble, are excellent and enable him to get back. It's his own zone play that has nicked his game. Has to simplify his game defensively both decision making on zone exit work and defending around his own goal. The St. Louis and Anaheim games were among the worst games he's played.

This team's management needs to build up the blueline and quality support around Nurse. He's a player that wants to do so much to carry this team similar to McDavid and Draisaitl but his position doesn't have the safety net that forwards have when risky efforts go the other way. Simple, disciplined defending and lower risk decisions to guide zone exit work is critical for a team that has challenges on the goal suppression side of the ice. Get another quality defender and reduce his workload would help the player too.

Glad to see this big team win.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I'm glad to see they took the game last night seriously. They have a bad habit of coming into these sort of games with little to no respect for the opposition. It will be interesting to see how they handle them in a few days after pummeling them the way they did. As i said in the pre-game, if we can bury Seattle in these couple games they will go away with all self belief destroyed.

I'd have to also mention that I am pleased to see that Nurse appears to be actively ratcheting up his physical engagement in the defensive end. It isn't where he needs it yet but it is a step in the right direction.
I posted this in the wrong thread..oh well

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I see the bottle of lotion you have there…
FixedGoodBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

Well shit, you caught me there

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Definitely a feel good win but they still gave up almost 40 shots. There Absolutely needs to be more of a focus on bringing down shots and chances against. The coaching staff needs to make the adjustments and the players need to execute. Need to simplify our game, reduce critical mistakes and stop giving up so many shots and chances.

They absolutely owe it to their young goalie who’s given them a chance all year.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Definitely a feel good win but they still gave up almost 40 shots. There Absolutely needs to be more of a focus on bringing down shots and chances against. The coaching staff needs to make the adjustments and the players need to execute. Need to simplify our game, reduce critical mistakes and stop giving up so many shots and chances.

They absolutely owe it to their young goalie who’s given them a chance all year.
Most of the shots came after the Oilers already had a comfortable lead. They were up 4-0 after the first and Seattle only had 8 shots that period.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Pretty sure it's Leah Hextall.

And that's about all I can say without getting thread-banned... :sarcasm:
I watched the Espn feed of the game yesterday. It's the first time I've heard Hextall do a game and she would give Singh a run for his money. I'm not sure who that compliments or insults....

One fact they brought to the table last night was how Woody had the opportunity to be a Rhodes Scholar and turned it down. I'd never heard that before. The guy is a dynamo.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Most of the shots came after the Oilers already had a comfortable lead. They were up 4-0 after the first and Seattle only had 8 shots that period.
I’d say that’s probably the best time for them to focus on these defensive details. You’ve done the scoring part, the focus should be on not giving them anything. We need to start trending towards keeping teams around or under 30 shots a game and getting our GA under 3 a game.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hope we can pull out a win tonight against Winnipeg but will be tough on a b2b.

Nice home ice advantage we have. Scheduling and officiating is such a joke. Great game being held by amateurs at the league office.

Hopefully Campbell is sharp.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Love Drai and what he brings (when he's on), but let's face it, it's McDavid and then everybody else on this team, with Drai in a secondary group ahead of everyone else.

Who's the guy who put Jason Robertson up there with Mc David?
New York writer, Stan Fischler. The guy who still thinks Bob Nystrom is a better player than Wayne Gretzky.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
His play in the offensive side of the ice is usually good. Adept at joining rush chances and his wheels, even if he skates into trouble, are excellent and enable him to get back. It's his own zone play that has nicked his game. Has to simplify his game defensively both decision making on zone exit work and defending around his own goal. The St. Louis and Anaheim games were among the worst games he's played.

This team's management needs to build up the blueline and quality support around Nurse. He's a player that wants to do so much to carry this team similar to McDavid and Draisaitl but his position doesn't have the safety net that forwards have when risky efforts go the other way. Simple, disciplined defending and lower risk decisions to guide zone exit work is critical for a team that has challenges on the goal suppression side of the ice. Get another quality defender and reduce his workload would help the player too.

Glad to see this big team win.

All the other teams have phenominal defenseman supporting their number 1. Imagine Adam fox has guys like K'andre Miller jumping over the boards to split time against elites and a guy like Makar has Devon Toews as partner. Not comparing Nurse to those guys, but all you have to do is look at the Oilers dcorp and Nurse's work load against elites. Would have been ideal if Klefbom was healthy as they would make a great 1 to 2 punch and take pressure off one another, unfortunately that's not reality. This team legit needs another quality top 4 guy, whether it's Broberg developing into one or through trade. Otherwise inconsistent play from Nurse will continue.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Apparently, his telegraph was down….and the carrier pigeon backup couldn’t reboot.

The beauty of his game is the surprise element….he shows his forecheck and hitting game as being the expectation. Then he launches some surprising offence that catches the opponent off guard. Nice.
I like him. Great skating ability, can hit, can handle the puck, will chuck the knuckles, and best off all will make Matheson and Spector look like fools . We have the worst media

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
All the other teams have phenominal defenseman supporting their number 1. Imagine Adam fox has guys like K'andre Miller jumping over the boards to split time against elites and a guy like Makar has Devon Toews as partner. Not comparing Nurse to those guys, but all you have to do is look at the Oilers dcorp and Nurse's work load against elites. Would have been ideal if Klefbom was healthy as they would make a great 1 to 2 punch and take pressure off one another, unfortunately that's not reality. This team legit needs another quality top 4 guy, whether it's Broberg developing into one or through trade. Otherwise inconsistent play from Nurse will continue.
Nurse won't be a Makar, Hedman, Doughty, Keith super elite #1 defender. But those Cup winners build around them with strong veteran support defenders. Oil had what would have been a very solid three headed top of d-corp trio in Nurse, Klefbom and Larsson. They've had to retool with two of three table legs removed.

Absolutely vital this team both improves the quality of its d-corp but also its mix (and more veterans) to reach legitimate Cup level competitiveness. I like Broberg a fair bit but an age 21 defender trying to onboard a mature phase organization with a below average defending corp is a bad situation for a green banana attempting to establish himself against apex NHL competition. Need hard players with weathered veteran wisdom to support marathon playoff runs.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Nurse won't be a Makar, Hedman, Doughty, Keith super elite #1 defender. But those Cup winners build around them with strong veteran support defenders. Oil had what would have been a very solid three headed top of d-corp trio in Nurse, Klefbom and Larsson. They've had to retool with two of three table legs removed.

Absolutely vital this team both improves the quality of its d-corp but also its mix (and more veterans) to reach legitimate Cup level competitiveness. I like Broberg a fair bit but an age 21 defender trying to onboard a mature phase organization with a below average defending corp is a bad situation for a green banana attempting to establish himself against apex NHL competition. Need hard players with weathered veteran wisdom to support marathon playoff runs.

And maybe Keith helped in that aspect during last year's long playoff run. But this team has neither veteran dmen or legit top 4 that's anywhere near as good as Nurse. I believe Bouchard will get there but he's suffering from sophomore slump and his defensive game isn't there yet.

If rumors are true and Gavrikov is going for a 1st and 3rd, find out if he's willing to sign long term, bite the bullet and make the trade. This should also buy Broberg time to develop and maybe reach his potential.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
And maybe Keith helped in that aspect during last year's long playoff run. But this team has neither veteran dmen or legit top 4 that's anywhere near as good as Nurse. I believe Bouchard will get there but he's suffering from sophomore slump and his defensive game isn't there yet.

If rumors are true and Gavrikov is going for a 1st and 3rd, find out if he's willing to sign long term, bite the bullet and make the trade. This should also buy Broberg time to develop and maybe reach his potential.
Without question Keith helped with the stabilizing effect an elite veteran leader can provide even with a diminished game. This year's d-corp needs more quality veteran support. Onboarding young players like Bouchard, Broberg, Nemelainen is not really a path to the hard own zone, veteran heavy defending corp we see in deep playoff teams.

Gavrikov is a real interesting player and fit is really good. Russian UFA players are a flight risk for less sexy smaller market teams. The rumoured price is right. But Florida model of UFA spin to win trade deadline strategy is a cautionary tale even moreso if your NHL team and system aren't deep. I like the T-Bay model of trading premium picks for players with term. Give yourself multiple seasons of value in the deal but a strengthened team to run more than one year at breaking through in the playoffs.

Personally I would put picks and young assets in play for two prime year top and middle pair d-options to push current roster players down to right level minutes and competition. I'm likely dreaming on that one!

Reactions: bellagiobob

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Without question Keith helped with the stabilizing effect an elite veteran leader can provide even with a diminished game. This year's d-corp needs more quality veteran support. Onboarding young players like Bouchard, Broberg, Nemelainen is not really a path to the hard own zone, veteran heavy defending corp we see in deep playoff teams.

Gavrikov is a real interesting player and fit is really good. Russian UFA players are a flight risk for less sexy smaller market teams. The rumoured price is right. But Florida model of UFA spin to win trade deadline strategy is a cautionary tale even moreso if your NHL team and system aren't deep. I like the T-Bay model of trading premium picks for players with term. Give yourself multiple seasons of value in the deal but a strengthened team to run more than one year at breaking through in the playoffs.

Personally I would put picks and young assets in play for two prime year top and middle pair d-options to push current roster players down to right level minutes and competition. I'm likely dreaming on that one!

I agree, but the ask for guy like Chychrun seems to be astronomical. If Arizona was willing to accept what Gavrikov is going for plus say Broberg, then sure go after Chychrun to play behind Nurse. As for UFA wanting to sign here, I think recent history suggest that's not much of an issue due to the McDavid affect. Remember Kane of all people chose to sign (twice) with Edmonton. Gavrikov would be crazy to not want to resign, it's just a matter of what the asking price would be.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree, but the ask for guy like Chychrun seems to be astronomical. If Arizona was willing to accept what Gavrikov is going for plus say Broberg, then sure go after Chychrun to play behind Nurse. As for UFA wanting to sign here, I think recent history suggest that's not much of an issue due to the McDavid affect. Remember Kane of all people chose to sign (twice) with Edmonton. Gavrikov would be crazy to not want to resign, it's just a matter of what the asking price would be.
If they could not a sign and trade, I'd love Gavrikov. The Oil are a better destination given their status with McDavid and Draisaitl and mature phase of organization ready to win. That said, this summer freebee Russian opted for Canuckles, ocean and mountains over winning hockey games with Connor and Leon.

Hard to say with tendency of Russian players to like warm weather big American cities and bright lights of places like NYC with strong Russian communities. We'll see what shakes out. Edmonton just can't squander their assets for a UFA situation like Florida has done.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
If they could not a sign and trade, I'd love Gavrikov. The Oil are a better destination given their status with McDavid and Draisaitl and mature phase of organization ready to win. That said, this summer freebee Russian opted for Canuckles, ocean and mountains over winning hockey games with Connor and Leon.

Hard to say with tendency of Russian players to like warm weather big American cities and bright lights of places like NYC with strong Russian communities. We'll see what shakes out. Edmonton just can't squander their assets for a UFA situation like Florida has done.

I am sure if that's all that went into Kuzmenko's decision he could have to somewhere far nicer than Vancouver, like somewhere in California. I am sure fit was also taken into consideration. At the time Oilers were deeper on the wing and who was he going to play over on the PP?

The timeline is different of course as Kuzmenko would be far better fit now and same with Gavrikov. Again, only if he's shown interest in signing long term would it make sense to depart with those assets. On that I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad