Proposal: Oilers / Flames Swap Prospects

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I cant wait for Poolparty to explode and just stick it up the naysayers, dry and hard. The kid is barely 20. He has a great frame, huge wheels, and still has lots of time to figure out how to use those tools. Bennet has been around long enough to know what he is. There may be a low percentage late blossoming but he would be a serious outlier.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I cant wait for Poolparty to explode and just stick it up the naysayers, dry and hard. The kid is barely 20. He has a great frame, huge wheels, and still has lots of time to figure out how to use those tools. Bennet has been around long enough to know what he is. There may be a low percentage late blossoming but he would be a serious outlier.
Having watched him for 2 years, theres a missing element about him. The Oilers are also horrendous at developing high end prospects so I dont think he ever becomes a 30 goal 60 point winger. 20-30 might be his absolute peak just on his physical gifts alone.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Jesse Puljujarvi + 4th for Rasmus Andersson + Sam Bennett

Obviously a trade like this is unlikely between divisional rivals, but would either fanbase do this? Both prospects are NHL ready and could immediately help their teams.

No thanks. Would rather keep Pool Party.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Calling someone a bust when they are 21 is the definition of ignorance.

Same can be said for 24 year old Nail Yakupov. But neither he nor Bennett have lived up to expectations. Bennett was more highly touted than Draisaitl and was even considered for the 1st overall pick.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers need right wingers. JP is the perfect young player for us to be patient with. I could see Bennett working here if we traded off RNH, but until we do, I don't get this deal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Same can be said for 24 year old Nail Yakupov. But neither he nor Bennett have lived up to expectations. Bennett was more highly touted than Draisaitl and was even considered for the 1st overall pick.
Not living up to expectations =/= bust though. Bennett is currently a decent 3rd liner, one that is decent defensively, creates scoring opportunities and plays physical. Even if he doesn't progress any further, that isn't a bust. A bust is a guy that can't carve out a niche in the league.

If Bennett is 24 and allowed to become a UFA and still can't carve out a niche, then call him a bust, until then, he's still just a young player trying to find his way in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's silly to label either as busts at this point. Oiler fans labeled Nurse a bust already btw, and then he had a good year and all is forgotten
Exactly. Calling a guy a bust when they are that young is ridiculous.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Bennett's 21, and struggled over the last couple of years with GG as coach.

Overall Bennett could have a better overall game, while Jesse if he can't figure out that top 6 role would probably struggle in the bottom 6.

BTW you mispelled Implosion.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Oilers decline.

While Rasmus Andersson is a decent prospect..i don't see more than what we have in Matt Benning in him.

And we are not in a position to take on anymore projects like Sam Bennett..esp at the expense of a 20 year old who's still developing. And with the Oilers heavily rumoured to have hire Gulutzan as an AC I don't see it working out for Bennett here.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I find it hilarious that Puljujarvi isn't a bust at 20, yet Bennett's a bust when he's just 21.

While I agree with you, there are two more seasons to judge on. Pulju is just 20 (played at 19 all year as Draft+2), whereas Bennett just completed his Draft+4 year.

Too early for either to be confirmed busts, but it shouldn't even be whispered yet with Pulju, whereas Bennett... well the trend line points toward "not to his original potential" at least.

Nevertheless, your point is reasonable... we're comparing 2 data points pointing slightly up to 4 data points pointing slightly down.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
As written the Flames don't do this, although I can understand if the Oil don't do it either. Pulju is likely the highest value piece in the trade, but I don't think the difference at this moment between him and Bennett is worth Andersson. This is tempting for sure, but both teams probably pass since they are frightened of their guys busting out with the other team.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think the basis of JP for Rasmus + is an interesting idea.
Too bad between these two teams there's gonna be a lot of under-rating of the other side's piece.

Would the Oilers see a fit with any of Lazar, Dube, Mangiapane, Kilimchuk as an add?

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I think the basis of JP for Rasmus + is an interesting idea.
Too bad between these two teams there's gonna be a lot of under-rating of the other side's piece.

Would the Oilers see a fit with any of Lazar, Dube, Mangiapane, Kilimchuk as an add?
Dube would be nice ngl.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I like Bennett. I like him a lot more than Flames fans seem to. But I don't like him nearly enough to give up a guy on the verge of becoming a superstar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad