Proposal: Oilers / Flames Swap Prospects

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Would do Andersson OR Bennett for Puljujarvi. Definitely not both.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
That’s a big gamble for the Oilers. I know flames fans still think Bennett has a ton of value but I’d have to think long and hard about even giving up a 2nd for him.

No interest in seeing Puljujarvi explode in Flames colours.

I don't think there's alot of fans who think Bennett has a ton of value. It's just that it does not make sense to trade him for his value, it's better to hope he improves. If not, nothing is lost that isn't already lost.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Bennett has better numbers than him in every season...
Hmmm

Last year, Puljujarvi put up more goals than Bennett in 17 less games. Playing 4th line minutes without Powerplay time.

Oh yeah, and he turned 20 just two weeks ago.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hmmm

Last year, Puljujarvi put up more goals than Bennett in 17 less games. Playing 4th line minutes without Powerplay time.

Oh yeah, and he turned 20 just two weeks ago.

He outscored him by a goal, missing games doesn't add value to a player either. He seems injury prone.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He outscored him by a goal, missing games doesn't add value to a player either. He seems injury prone.
Puljujarvi hasn't been injured once in his NHL career. He was playing in the minors.

Please verify your facts before posting on HfBoards. Your embarrassing yourself.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Bennett is a bust. He has nowhere near the value Puljujarvi does.
I wouldn't do Bennett for Puljujarvi. Last year Bennett got 21 pts playing with bottom six guys, most of whom were Jankowski, Hathaway, Jagr, Brouwer and Ferland. He only got 5pts playing alongside Gaudreau and Monahan

Puljujarvi, on the other hand, only managed to whip up 20pts and 12 of them came from playing with McDavid or Drasaitl. The guy flat out could not produce in the bottom six. Not to mention Bennett delivered 4X as many hits as Puljujarvi. So one has proven that they can at least manage a bottom six role, if nothing else. If JP doesn't outplay Ferland on the Flames line-up, he mine as well not be on the roster.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I wouldn't do Bennett for Puljujarvi. Last year Bennett got 21 pts playing with bottom six guys, most of whom were Jankowski, Hathaway, Jagr, Brouwer and Ferland. He only got 5pts playing alongside Gaudreau and Monahan

Puljujarvi, on the other hand, only managed to whip up 20pts and 12 of them came from playing with McDavid or Drasaitl. The guy flat out could not produce in the bottom six. Not to mention Bennett delivered 4X as many hits as Puljujarvi. So one has proven that they can at least manage a bottom six role, if nothing else. If JP doesn't outplay Ferland on the Flames line-up, he mine as not be on the roster.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Puljujarvi hasn't been injured once in his NHL career. He was playing in the minors.

Please verify your facts before posting on HfBoards. Your embarrassing yourself.

Playing in the minors is supposed to be somehow better?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Playing in the minors is supposed to be somehow better?
I was just pointing out that Puljujarvi is not injury prone.

And being in the minors at the age of 19 isn't a knock on him. Just look at Filip Forsberg.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think there's alot of fans who think Bennett has a ton of value. It's just that it does not make sense to trade him for his value, it's better to hope he improves. If not, nothing is lost that isn't already lost.

That’s fair. I think he’ll be a good 3C down the road. Disappointing for where he was drafted but still useful.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Even when he was playing with McDavid, he was benched for long periods of time for no apparent reason and still wasn't being given PP time.

TMac is a re*ard.
I'm not saying the Flames wouldn't be interested in him, but what's the argument, given that the Oilers wouldn't want Sam Bennett either?! Like I said originally, JP would be moved with a package for a top-4 RD, otherwise the Oilers should move him for a RD equivalent prospect.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's just not correct. Jesse Puljujarvi - Full Stats, Line Combos and Game Logs

40% of his even strength linemates were McDavid and Lucic. Another 18% was with Nuge and Lucic.

The same Lucic with one goal post Christmas despite being stapled to McDavid?

I wouldn’t really list being stapled to that immobile golem as some positive. Literally everyone that played with Lucic was significantly worse with him than without him.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The same Lucic with one goal post Christmas despite being stapled to McDavid?

I wouldn’t really list being stapled to that immobile golem as some positive. Literally everyone that played with Lucic was significantly worse with him than without him.
Fair enough. Nobody is saying Oilers were the best team in the league last year. But every team has a few anchors. Lucic is a 5-time 20goal scorer and consistently puts up ~40pts or more. McDavid is the best player in the world. Puljujarvi could significantly do worse elsewhere. It does raise questions

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

He might as well have been injured he was equally ineffective in the minors.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Bennett is a bust. He has nowhere near the value Puljujarvi does.

Keep saying that, Puljujarvi has been terrible at every level of the pro game, terrible in the minors, terrible in the NHL.

Bennett might be a bust, that's fine, but Poolparty is on that road

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
When Puljujarvi is actually given the opportunity to produce, he does.

The problem is TMac loves his veterans and never gives the youngsters any chances.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Puljujarvi for Andersson does make a lot of sense, and it's clear Flames fans would pull the trigger, given that JP fills a positional need for the Flames. Its only a question if Oilers fans think (1) Andersson is of equal value, or (2) JP could yield better value, because it's clear Andersson fills a positional need as well for the Oilers.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Puljujarvi - if he reaches his potential - is exactly what we need. Why would we deal him? Because TMac is a moron who misuses him? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve part of the blame for his underwhelming play, but it's also got to be discouraging to watch Letestu be the supposed RHS "triggerman" on the 1st unit PP and be a complete non-factor. Young guys thrive on confidence, yet he was never given that opportunity. Playing him with McDavid may seem like a blessing, but it put him against top opposition. 1st unit PP time would have been the right move to get his game going.

Either way, I still think he'll be a helluva player, as I'm sure Flames fans feel the same way about Andersson and Bennett. I think both teams are happy saying no.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Keep saying that, Puljujarvi has been terrible at every level of the pro game, terrible in the minors, terrible in the NHL.

Bennett might be a bust, that's fine, but Poolparty is on that road

12 goals - 10 at even strength - at 19, on a bad team, with good fancies and 13 minutes a night of playing time is a long way from terrible.

He didn’t even get much of a zonestart push, there’s plenty to be encouraged about in his underlying numbers.

I will say that I don’t think McLellan’s style of jumbling up the lines every ten minutes is good for young players. They need stability and consistent linemates.

The Oilers should run RNH-McDavid and Draisaitl-Puljujarvi as pairs and rotate RW’s with 93/97 and LW’s through 29/98 until they find some chemistry.

I’d imagine Ty Rattie goes into camp with the inside track on Connor’s RW and I have to imagine Lucic starts no higher than 3LW.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Puljujarvi for Andersson does make a lot of sense, and it's clear Flames fans would pull the trigger, given that JP fills a positional need for the Flames. Its only a question if Oilers fans think (1) Andersson is of equal value, or (2) JP could yield better value, because it's clear Andersson fills a positional need as well for the Oilers.

I can’t see the Oilers saying yes. I don’t think Andersson has that much value yet and we’re thin enough at forward as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad