Oilers fans sing American anthem after microphone breaks

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
For all the people saying it was set up and intentional:

Why would people think this is staged? There was no lyrics on the board and that had potential to be an utter nightmare if noone knew lyrics or didnt want to sing them. If it was staged they would have atleast put lyrics up

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I've seen a few posts about a specific line or a few scattered words from the Star Spangled Banner that a lot of people don't know/mumble/mishear, but no one has mentioned which ones. When I was a kid, I know I definitely did the same, but can't for the life of me remember which ones. Could anyone offer any suggestions to which lines/words they might be?

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
I've seen a few posts about a specific line or a few scattered words from the Star Spangled Banner that a lot of people don't know/mumble/mishear, but no one has mentioned which ones. When I was a kid, I know I definitely did the same, but can't for the life of me remember which ones. Could anyone offer any suggestions to which lines/words they might be?

When I think about this, it makes me think of this:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why would people think this is staged? There was no lyrics on the board and that had potential to be an utter nightmare if noone knew lyrics or didnt want to sing them. If it was staged they would have atleast put lyrics up

At first I was skeptical just because this seems to happen so often at hockey games now. If you're having someone singing in front of thousands of people, has no one heard of a backup mic? This isn't exactly rocket science.

That being said, props to the fans for singing the American anthem, it's certainly not an easy one. I'm not sure an American crowd could return the favor. Though in my younger days of regularly watching HNIC I could sing the entire Canadian anthem in English and get about halfway through in French. :D

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Thank god they didn't sing the following verses... haha.

I can assure you that the vast majority of Canadians don't know the other verses of Oh Canada (or even that there are other verses), much less the other three from the US anthem.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If you're thinking about game 6 against the Sharks back in 2006, we answered their boo's of the Canadian anthem with such loud cheers during the American anthem that we drowned the singer out.

Ah yes, thanks that was back in my "fun" days of no responsibilities so things are a bit of a blur about that time period

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At first I was skeptical just because this seems to happen so often at hockey games now. If you're having someone singing in front of thousands of people, has no one heard of a backup mic? This isn't exactly rocket science.

That being said, props to the fans for singing the American anthem, it's certainly not an easy one. I'm not sure an American crowd could return the favor. Though in my younger days of regularly watching HNIC I could sing the entire Canadian anthem in English and get about halfway through in French. :D

Come on man, we had to come in on budget. No money right now for silly item such as a backup mic.

Any spare change needs to be put away to maintain the kegs;)

IronMosher

I R Sharks Fan
Aug 5, 2003
Waddletown, PA
Visit site
If you're thinking about game 6 against the Sharks back in 2006, we answered their boo's of the Canadian anthem with such loud cheers during the American anthem that we drowned the singer out.

How many times does it need to be be explained Sharks fans were not booing the Canadian Anthem? They were booing Pronger on the jumbo tron. :shakehead

Anyways, that was really cool.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
How many times does it need to be be explained Sharks fans were not booing the Canadian Anthem? They were booing Pronger on the jumbo tron. :shakehead

Anyways, that was really cool.

Well I can attest to Shark fans booing Progner. I was there at the Shark Tank plenty of times when he got booed. Hell I even booed him myself for that cheap shot during the 2007 SCF. **** you Progner!!! :laugh:

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
So let me get this straight: fans sing national anthem because the mic was broken and this is something amazing, touching etc. and newsworthy? North Americans are really weird when it comes to national identity and military. Wow, you're the best, fellas. Thanks for opening your mouth for two minutes and singing along your national anthem.

Well done.

Want to find Edmonton on a map for me and get back to us?

Really happy our fans ran with it. Proud to be an Edmontonian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad