Oilers fans sing American anthem after microphone breaks

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I feel like the same thing happened a few years back, in Vancouver? Maybe not playoff atmosphere though.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
edmontons building is the best these playoffs. easily. the atmosphere is bone chilling

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Good job, Canada. I wish I knew if my country would do the same... I'm afraid of the answer... :laugh:

Pretty cool though. I always enjoy these types of things.

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Love it! Would have enjoyed being there for that :nod:

Good job, Canada. I wish I knew if my country would do the same... I'm afraid of the answer... :laugh:

Pretty cool though. I always enjoy these types of things.

You never know, listening to both anthems before every game(as long as both countries are involved) has a funny way of teaching you the anthem of your neighbour.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Absolutely loveeee stuff like this. I remember when Toronto did this when Nashville was up there a year or so ago.

Good job by the fans. If my preds don't make it to the SCF i'm definitely pulling for Edmonton

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was awesome and gained a lot of my respect. I'm impressed that so many knew the words, but I suppose that they hear the anthem so often, at every game except between two Canadian teams, that they can't help but memorize it. Even still, they didn't need to sing it or could've done a weak job of it. I'm most impressed.

I'm sure that Americans who know the words would do the same, but there are likely fewer who know them all, if only because we don't hear it nearly as often as Canadians hear ours (and, at least on TV, it's not always fully in English). I'd love the opportunity to sing "O Canada." I actually find it the more enjoyable anthem to sing, since The Star-Spangled Banner is notoriously difficult. In fact, come to think of it, we Americans don't really sing our own anthem very much (we mostly just mouth or whisper the words and pretend that we're singing along), likely because of the difficulty, so it's even more impressive that the Oilers fans actually sang it.

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Love it! Would have enjoyed being there for that :nod:

You never know, listening to both anthems before every game(as long as both countries are involved) has a funny way of teaching you the anthem of your neighbour.

They usually play the lyrics on the jumbotron or on the LCD strip around the rink in Ottawa. Lets us sing along

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I feel like the same thing happened a few years back, in Vancouver? Maybe not playoff atmosphere though.

I think it was in Toronto against Nashville and those guys repaid us by blowing us out (which we didn't mind because we were tanking).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad