Oilers fan here, really want Adam Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Reasons why EDM should pay up for Adam Larssson

From Oilers fan's perspective:

(1) Buying low - This is the last summer we could possibly buy low on Larsson. Maybe he won’t live up to early Lidström comparisons, but he will be a guy that will give us a solid 25+ minutes for next 10 years. (Keep in mind Lidström wasn’t an all-star until age 26, won his first cup at 27, won first Norris Trophy at 31 and retired at 42 - Larsson is still only 22).
(2) Selling high - With McDavid coming in and Draisaiti emerging, RNH becomes both expendable and potentially near his value peak. He will lose some PP time and could see time on 3rd line where he is asked to do things that are not his strength.
(3) 3rd line centres available - There are a bunch of good prospects at centre to fill the hole with #16 overall pick (Zacha, Barzal, Connor, Konecny, Merkley, White, etc). And serviceable free agents (Soderberg, Vermette, etc)
(4) The defensive prospects appear quite poor after the first tier (Hannifin, Provorov, Werenski will all be gone by #16).
(5) Larsson will be cheap - likely under $2 million a year for next three years (he is RFA now). RNH has $6 million a year cap hit.
(6) Larsson is coachable - his improvement with Scott Stevens mid-season last year shows.
(7) Larsson is not injury risk - but is being discounted as one (I don’t consider mumps an injury)
(8) RH or LH need - Larsson is RH, but when selecting a guy to be top-4 defenseman for next 10 years, I am not over-thinking RH or LH need.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

(1) Buying low - This is the last summer we could possibly buy low on Larsson. Maybe he won’t live up to early Lidström comparisons, but he will be a guy that will give us a solid 25+ minutes for next 10 years. (Keep in mind Lidström wasn’t an all-star until age 26, won his first cup at 27, won first Norris Trophy at 31 and retired at 42 - Larsson is still only 22).
(2) Selling high - With McDavid coming in and Draisaiti emerging, RNH becomes both expendable and potentially near his value peak. He will lose some PP time and could see time on 3rd line where he is asked to do things that are not his strength.
(3) 3rd line centres available - There are a bunch of good prospects at centre to fill the hole with #16 overall pick (Zacha, Barzal, Connor, Konecny, Merkley, White, etc). And serviceable free agents (Soderberg, Vermette, etc)
(4) The defensive prospects appear quite poor after the first tier (Hannifin, Provorov, Werenski will all be gone by #16).
(5) Larsson will be cheap - likely under $2 million a year for next three years (he is RFA now). RNH has $6 million a year cap hit.
(6) Larsson is coachable - his improvement with Scott Stevens mid-season last year shows.
(7) Larsson is not injury risk - but is being discounted as one (I don’t consider mumps an injury)
(8) RH or LH need - Larsson is RH, but when selecting a guy to be top-4 defenseman for next 10 years, I am not over-thinking RH or LH need.

Stopped reading after the first line of (1).

You're not buying him low because we're not interested in selling him low. I'm not sure where the disconnect stems from.

The reasons you cite for wanting him, are the reasons we want to keep him.

Next.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I'm not sure what you're saying.

Are you suggesting Merrill doesn't have 10 years of minute-munching hockey ahead of him?

No, I am saying that ruling out a D-man since he shoots right or left is nonsense when acquiring future elite D-men. When building our D-core, we should start with the studs...and fill in the missing pieces (ie, an extra RH shot) later.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Devils fan here, you can't have him.

We've been down this road. We don't want to give him up for anything you are willing to give up. Insults follow, no constructive conversation happens, and the fanbases are left completely annoyed with eachother. It's pointless.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would trade Larsson for Leon Draisaitl + pick(higher than 60 overall) at the drop of a hat.

LD+ #6 + 3 other picks in the 36 to 60 range would jump start a rebuild immediately...and we would still be flush with right handed defensemen.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
I would trade Larsson for Leon Draisaitl + pick(higher than 60 overall) at the drop of a hat.

LD+ #6 + 3 other picks in the 36 to 60 range would jump start a rebuild immediately...and we would still be flush with right handed defensemen.

Agreed. Draisaitl would be fantastic to have.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
not a chance I trade Larsson for Drai

if you want Larsson, we're talking Hall (yes, Devils would have to add). or at least RNH.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I remember Larsson's value went from sky high after the draft to dropping a ton Larsson+ for Eberle was being accepted here) and now has rebounded.

Just goes to show that with defense, you really have to be patient.

agree with you, but I've been saying it since we drafted him, even when he was a healthy scratch all the time, I believe Larsson will one day contend for the Norris trophy, possibly win it a couple times. Adam Larsson is for real.

I look at Larsson and see a lot of Victor Hedman in him. Both swedish defensemen, who struggled a bit early on. Hedman was drafted in 09, and really just became 'elite' this season. So it took 5-6 years. In my opinion, the same will happen with Larsson, in this upcoming season, or the one after, his name will really start getting thrown around the league as a top defenseman.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
not a chance I trade Larsson for Drai

if you want Larsson, we're talking Hall (yes, Devils would have to add). or at least RNH.

Yup. I agree. I would be happy with Larsson for Hall straight up, without the Devils having to add. Reason i say this is because Hall has had a ton of injuries in his career already. Guy hasn't even hit 25 and he's missed a ton of games.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
agree with you, but I've been saying it since we drafted him, even when he was a healthy scratch all the time, I believe Larsson will one day contend for the Norris trophy, possibly win it a couple times. Adam Larsson is for real.

I look at Larsson and see a lot of Victor Hedman in him. Both swedish defensemen, who struggled a bit early on. Hedman was drafted in 09, and really just became 'elite' this season. So it took 5-6 years. In my opinion, the same will happen with Larsson, in this upcoming season, or the one after, his name will really start getting thrown around the league as a top defenseman.

I don't see anything other than they are both Swedish. VH is bigger, a 1000x better skater and just a better player. He's probably a Top 5 dman in the league right now.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
By the way, I think losing Mark Fayne this past season is a big factor in the Devils dropping so far down in the standings from 2013-14 season. If you think of it, the Devils roster in 14-15 was pretty much the same from 13-14, except Cammalleri was added, Severson replaced Fayne, and Schneider got the full workload instead of splitting games with Marty.

So in comparison, the Devils should've actually been a better team in 14-15, which clearly didn't happen.

Losing Fayne hurt. The decline in Patty's play hurt. Zajac's poor season hurt. The rough start from Schneider hurt. (Although I thought it was definitely Deboer's fault because he played Cory WAY to much to start the year.)

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I don't see anything other than they are both Swedish. VH is bigger, a 1000x better skater and just a better player. He's probably a Top 5 dman in the league right now.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Go watch film of Victor Hedman's season in 2012-13. I can guarantee you would be saying 'wow he looks a lot like adam larsson'

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

all very accurate.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I remember Larsson's value went from sky high after the draft to dropping a ton Larsson+ for Eberle was being accepted here) and now has rebounded.

Just goes to show that with defense, you really have to be patient.
you have to be patient with prospects period. Larsson went through the same struggles every young defenseman goes through, and they were compounded by the fact that our coach had no faith in him. The same things happen with forwards too. It's unrealistic to expect players drafted high to step into the league and be good immediately when anyone not picked in the top 10 gets 2-3 years to develop before they even play regular minutes. Larsson is only 22 years old. Most teams have prospects they think are going to be good players that still havent even played a game in the NHL when they turn 22. It's ridiculous to judge a player negatively half way through their 20 year old season the way people did for Larsson, and do for many players around the league

Just look at the top pick from the last few years. Outside of maybe Ekblad, everyone as far back as Kane struggled at times during their first year or two, and I almost guarantee Ekblad will have a rough stretch at some point too.

After his first year, people were ready to anoint Larsson. Then suddenly he was garbage and needed to be traded immediately before his value went any lower. Now everybody is back to saying we need RNH for him. You really have to wait until a guy is 22-24 to have any idea of what kind of player they are.

If they offered something along the lines of Draisaitl + 16 for Larsson + 36, I would probably take it. I would want to push for RNH though. RNH for Larsson + 41 seems pretty fair to me.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Did you even read what I wrote?

Go watch film of Victor Hedman's season in 2012-13. I can guarantee you would be saying 'wow he looks a lot like adam larsson'

If Adam Larsson ever grows 3 inches and becomes the skater that Hedman is I'll stop watching hockey.

And losing Mark Fayne is what killed us? Really?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
That is what I was offering - Larsson for RNH straight up. Helps both sides. (and a little bit painful for both sides)

With all respect to you, Edmonton would never go for that. RNH and Larsson were in the same draft year so if they wanted Larsson they could have just picked him. Plus, RNH has proven more at this level than Larsson has. From the Oilers side it makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad