Prospect Info: Oilers Draft Watch & Discussion X | "The Edmonton Oilers Select..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I really don't care about who is NHL ready. This team's fortunes for next season do not hinge on whether 18 year old Sam Reinhart, Bennett, etc, crack the lineup. Even if it means having to roll with Gagner for another year, I don't care. I want the best player, not the most NHL ready player.

Yeah, NHL readiness should be WAAAAY down the priority list when deciding on a prospect. Whoever the Oilers draft isn't going to change their fortunes one way or the other for at least a couple of years so they need to take who they think will be the best player long term and who will be the best fit.

I'm fine with any of the top 4, they all fill needs and in different ways. It's pretty unique to see 4 players at the top of the draft all with completely different skillsets with Ekblad - Seabrook, Weber or Reinhart - Bergeron, Toews or Bennett - Richards, Kesler or Draisaitl - Kopitar, Thornton.
The Oilers have so many needs that any of those players would suffice.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
260fytz.jpg

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
You can't control what others do so don't worry about it. It's like the Flames, they are going to get a good player no matter what so don't sweat it. We have to worry about our own pick.

Of course, but everyone likes to talk and speculate here in absolutes.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
"They're going to be long-term contributors no matter who they're playing for." - #Oilers Head Scout Stu MacGregor on projected top 4 picks

Head Scout Stu MacGregor says the #Oilers haven't added any new players to their #NHLDraft watch list but they have done some shuffling.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Based on MacT interviews they must have the top 4 ranked as :

Draisaitl - Ekblad - SR - SB

If the 2 Sams go 1-2...Flames will be getting Ekblad IMO

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Based on MacT interviews they must have the top 4 ranked as :

Draisaitl - Ekblad - SR - SB

If the 2 Sams go 1-2...Flames will be getting Ekblad IMO

?? I didn't get that. It just sounded like it would probably be LD over SB.

I think if AK or SR are there at 3rd, that's who they'll pick.

My gut says Tallon will take Van's offer and they will select SR. No idea what Buff will do but suspect SB. That would leave Ekblad for the Oil and Calgary gets LD.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm so ******* hyped right now. This draft is gonna be awesome and I don't only mean that as an Oiler fan. Haven't followed a crop of draft-eligible prospects this closely before and I'm currently in the process of making my own "mock draft" where I guess which players goes into which rounds. Gonna be interesting to see exactly how awful I am at predicting these sort of stuff.

Also gonna be fun because I'm interested in what other teams are gonna pick too. Other teams I like like the Avs, Sabres and Hawks (whose drafting philosophy I appreciate and agree with). Especially the Sabres who's got so many picks are gonna get some quality players I feel like.

Other than that there's the obvious curiousity around who the Oilers are gonna get at #3 and the rest of the picks. Don't feel like there's a lot of quality outside the 3rd round, although that depends if people fall or or not, so basically we have #3 and #91 which should be good. Wouldn't mind packaging #91 and #111 for an earlier pick though. Personally I'm quite high on Vaclav Karabacek. Feels like a solid player with a lot of upside. Exactly the type of player you wanna pick in the mid rounds.

There's plenty of solid american prospects in the middle rounds but for some reason we never seem to draft them. Eiserman, Jacobs, Siebenaler, Collins and Mantha could be interesting guys otherwise. I like american prospects a lot. Going the NCAA route seems very beneficial.

Anyway, I just hope we can pick up one or two RHD's. Could really use some depth there.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
You can't control what others do so don't worry about it. It's like the Flames, they are going to get a good player no matter what so don't sweat it. We have to worry about our own pick.

Ive never been one to worry about what other teams do and i have never understood that perspective.

Just as in life, you make the pick that makes sense for you.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
That'd be a good idea :laugh:

If MacGregor is smart, he sees on day 2 that Greg Chase, a WHLer with nice stats, is turning out real nice for him, and takes some good forward prospects who aren't reaches. Chase was a nice safe pick, and look at that, he might be at the WJC's.

i don't mind the reach picks, but i thought picking Aiden Muir in the bottom of the 4th round and Evan Campbell at the top of the 5th was too high for each of them. meanwhile, after hearing about how they like Greg Chase and the tough style of play he plays, they let him continue to drop while picking the above 2 long shots ahead of him. i didn't like that one bit because both Muir and Campbell would have still been there to chose in the 6th and 7th rounds in my opinion.
i hope with only 6 picks in the draft this year, Stu, Mact and the boys maybe limit the reach picks to 1. if i had my way, they wouldn't pick any this year. my 2 cents.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
My final draft wish list.

Eckblad = Reinhart < Draisitl = Bennett

Basically I don't care between Eckblad and Reinhart. Could use either.

After that I don't care between Draisitl and Bennett.

This draft is wierd. I'm excited but I don't really have a favorite. Eckblad and Reinhart a bit more but by a pubic hair really.

The only way they could screw this up is to trade down for some 3rd line winger or another 4/5 dman and draft some marginal prospect who looks like a giant piece of crap once he gets to OKC.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m

Doesn't sound like either Buffalo or Edmonton are interested in moving the 2nd or 3rd pick overall.

THANK GOD :handclap:

Ride the course and continue the rebuild

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m

Doesn't sound like either Buffalo or Edmonton are interested in moving the 2nd or 3rd pick overall.

THANK GOD :handclap:

Ride the course and continue the rebuild

I wonder if this means FLA is trading and Buff and us know who's probably left.

Granted, we're probably best off sitting anyway since we fill the 2C or D hole anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad