Prospect Info: Oilers Draft Watch & Discussion X | "The Edmonton Oilers Select..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Thinking of Ekblad kind of makes me nostalgic for the best of Souray and Chris Pronger.

Feels like years since we have had a physical, gamer of a D with a big shot.

As we get closer to this thing, I am wanting him more and more.

Nurse can be that guy.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
is it though? Wasn't Jones supposed to go 2nd or even 3rd?

I think the fact that Florida passed over a defence man last year, will increase the probability of them picking Ekblad. IMO either Florida trades down or picks Ekblad and since trading down is unlikely, I think Ekblad will go #1.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I never thought of Anaheim trading up, but it makes a ton of sense. If Reinhart is there at 3 you would think Anaheim would value Reinhart as much, if not more than Kesler. Smith-Pelly and Vatenen and 10. Who would be the target at 10? Maybe Virtanen or Perilini or perhaps they are high on Fleury.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think the fact that Florida passed over a defence man last year, will increase the probability of them picking Ekblad. IMO either Florida trades down or picks Ekblad and since trading down is unlikely, I think Ekblad will go #1.

Well, I'm not so sure it's that unlikely.

Too much smoke, a lot of it fanned by Tallon himself.

Nurse can be that guy.

I think he'll be good, but I don't see him as that type of player at all.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I never thought of Anaheim trading up, but it makes a ton of sense. If Reinhart is there at 3 you would think Anaheim would value Reinhart as much, if not more than Kesler. Smith-Pelly and Vatenen and 10. Who would be the target at 10? Maybe Virtanen or Perilini or perhaps they are high on Fleury.

To me, they have the ammo more than anyone and they have a spot for Reinhart now where he can be sheltered in a lot of ways. It would be his best case scenario also.

Now, what would it cost Anaheim to go from 10 to 3??

That one trade can do wonders for the Oilers long term and there will still be a nice player at 10.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Looked back at old draft comparables

TSN compared Darnell Nurse to Johnny Boychuk.

And Hockey's Future compared him to Chris Pronger.

Darnell Nurse is a big, mobile, gifted blueliner who has a lot of Chris Pronger in his game. He’s an imposing presence on the blueline and has the tools to be successful at both ends. Beyond the bloodlines and support (aunt, father, mother are all elite athletes -- uncle by marriage is Donovan McNabb), Nurse has it where it counts most -- between the ears.

He easily projects as a top-two blueliner, although his offensive game may not be refined enough to be considered a true number-one. He will be an elite shutdown blueliner who will add at least 25 to 30 pounds of muscle to his 6’5, 200-pound frame. Nurse will be well positioned to be used in all segments of the game (PP, PK, even strength), and his development could rival presumptive first-selected blueliner Seth Jones.

Now that he had offensively great season, makes me think if he has the chance to become a legitimate #1.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
What Nurse and Ekblad both have in common, that bodes well for their future:

Offensive numbers in the OHL, and they are both tall.

One of those trails at least is a trend from a lot of D prospects who become impact players.

Shea Weber wasn't huge on offensive numbers in his draft year, but he was 6 foot 4 at age 18.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The most interesting scenario for me would be if it goes Ekblad at 1 and Bennett at 2. Do you take the RH center in Reinhart, or the bigger body in Draisaitl? Or do you try and get say the Isles and Canucks into a bidding war for Reinhart, pick up some extra picks and quite possibly still get Draisaitl at 5 or 6.

i listened to an interiew by craig conroy (flames asst gm). the flames are not high on bennet and love draisaitl. they are going to draft a center in this draft. Almost certainly, ekblad and the three centers go 1-4.

this was disappointing because i hoped one of the centers would drop to 5 where we might make a deal with the isles. that ain't happening.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Happy Oilers Festivus to you and yours!
Erect the draft pole in the middle of the room! Bare, just like our prospect pipeline!
Festivus Dinner! Same thing as last year: Humble Pie!
And now, The Airing of Grievances! I got a lot of issues with you people! Stop being so goddamned optimistic!
And now it's time for Feats of Strength! I watched the whole 2013-14 season without wretching!
Will we see a Festivus miracle? Will MacT trade down to acquire a top-4 d-man and draft a burly winger with the initials N.R.? Or package Gagner and the 3rd for Ekblad? Of course not!
Happy Festivus, everyone!

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

just think, they could have had Seth Jones + Reinhart/Bennet.
they will have Barkov + Eckblad. hard to say which is better. both good.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
BrI7WaGCIAAqvWm.jpg:large

That's right now folks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What time is the draft?

With possible trades and movement in the selection order, there's no shortage of off-season drama as the 2014 NHL Draft gets under way tonight in Philadelphia.

You can watch it live on TSN and TSN GO at 7pm et/4pm pt and follow each pick on TSN.ca with its live draft tracker and blog.

Not sure when the actual first pick will be in by.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
good! maybe he was reading my post about NOT taking this year's version of Evan Campbell. :baghead:

That'd be a good idea :laugh:

If MacGregor is smart, he sees on day 2 that Greg Chase, a WHLer with nice stats, is turning out real nice for him, and takes some good forward prospects who aren't reaches. Chase was a nice safe pick, and look at that, he might be at the WJC's.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Split about the rumors of Van moving up to one. One one hand, it would probably leave Ekblad for us at #3, on the other hand, it means Vancouver getting a much better prospect then they would have. Tough! I was kinda set on Ekblad being gone at #3 and getting our #2 C (which is arguably more of a need)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Split about the rumors of Van moving up to one. One one hand, it would probably leave Ekblad for us at #3, on the other hand, it means Vancouver getting a much better prospect then they would have. Tough! I was kinda set on Ekblad being gone at #3 and getting our #2 C (which is arguably more of a need)

You can't control what others do so don't worry about it. It's like the Flames, they are going to get a good player no matter what so don't sweat it. We have to worry about our own pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad