Prospect Info: Oilers Draft Watch & Discussion X | "The Edmonton Oilers Select..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Some pretty noticeable cherry picking in there. Talent is there for sure, but he's the kind of player where I'd weight the interview a lot higher then I normally would. Robert Nilsson and Linus Omark had NHL skill, but they were lacking the character to adapt their games to be good NHL players, his wheels look better so I doubt it will be as much of an issue for him, but of the 2nd tier guys I would take Ehlers over him for sure.

His skating and more importantly his hockey IQ is higher than those two so I'm not too worried. Much more driven as well.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
one thing I have found interesting is that a few places have said that a guy like Bennett or Draistl could go as low as 10 next draft

Exaggeration. 6'1 and 6'2 forwards who have top line potential and score 100 points in the dub wouldn't fall out of the top-10 in any draft.

Next year is pretty amazing at the top-end, but not that amazing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unless you got the hook-up, there's no good reason to think this.

The only thing separating different teams' draft lists is need. We have several players like Reinhart. Absolutely nothing said by management indicated they are looking for someone like Reinhart, unlike Draisaitl, Ekblad, and Bennett

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Excited to see who we pick tomorrow, but not overly nervous. I like everyone in our range

Yeah...that's the weird thing about this draft. It doesn't matter who falls to #3, they are all talent at a position we need to fill.

Might still be the matter of getting the pick of the litter though.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Florida is going to be quite a wild card. They passed up on Drouin and Jones for Barkov last year and Talon's interview with Duthie on TSN was interesting.He said Florida has a lot of young prospects at D already and Ekblad could "compliment" that group. He then said they are hurting in scoring and want a winger to go with their crop of centres. Take that with a grain of salt, but I would think talon is leaning towards Bennett over Ekblad or would rather trade down to the 5-10 range, get a nhler and another pick, then draft dal colle/virtanen or another goal scorer, which could potentially leaves us with Ekblad, assuming Buffalo takes any of the other centres..

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The only thing separating different teams' draft lists is need.

Again, this is an odd thing to say without having heard some things that have not been made public.

The Oilers have essentially supported the idea that there are four players at the top of this draft. While there's murmurings of them liking Draisatl and a general feeling that Ekblad is the guy they want to drop, I have no indication whatsoever that they prefer Bennett over Reinhart or vice versa.

We have several players like Reinhart. Absolutely nothing said by management indicated they are looking for someone like Reinhart, unlike Draisaitl, Ekblad, and Bennett

I'm not sure we have one player like Sam Reinhart, mind you.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
So Ekblad might be a great RHD and PP guy and this is a bad thing?

I mean, we're turning our noses up at the possibility of drafting Ekblad or acquiring Phaneuf, even though we had by far and away the worst D core in the league last year?

Man what movie are you living in and how much does it cost.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The only thing separating different teams' draft lists is need. We have several players like Reinhart. Absolutely nothing said by management indicated they are looking for someone like Reinhart, unlike Draisaitl, Ekblad, and Bennett

Could be deception. I really don't see anything to be gained by telegraphing your favoured players. Perhaps Reinhart is the target after all.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So Ekblad might be a great RHD and PP guy and this is a bad thing?

I mean, we're turning our noses up at the possibility of drafting Ekblad or acquiring Phaneuf, even though we had by far and away the worst D core in the league last year?

Man what movie are you living in and how much does it cost.

The thing that scares me about Ekblad is that he lived off the PP in junior, signalling he may not be able to put up too many EV points in the NHL. Although if he was able to kick start the PP and make a living off that I wouldnt have to much of a problem.

The difference between Ekblad and Phanuef is Ekblad is a rock defensively (voted best defensive D by the coaches), whereas Phanuef was always seen as a offensive D (much like Dumba)

Ekblad will always have superior defensive value

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not high on Ekblad.

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/06/ekblad-the-new-souray.html

Alot of concerns that his offense was powerplay based.

I don't think you can go wrong with a right handed center with vision like Reinhart. Would be thrilled, and hoping he drops to #3.

What do you expect on a team lacking dynamic players? They had Athanasiou, then a bunch of meh up front. In that comparison they use Seth Jones, who played for a powerhouse Hawks team with multiple 100 pt guys (2 with 120, one with 110). Athanasiou had 95 this year, next closest forward was in the 70's. Plus Jones doesn't have the shot Ekblad has, a trigger man will always factor in more on the PP. I think it's getting ridiculous how people are over analyzing this kid. Souray comparisons? The kid is a better skater at 18 than Souray ever was, and by a wide margin.

Nuge faced similar criticism in his rookie year (numbers inflated by the PP). Anyone think he might only be a 3rd line center?:shakehead

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The thing that scares me about Ekblad is that he lived off the PP in junior, signalling he may not be able to put up too many EV points in the NHL. Although if he was able to kick start the PP and make a living off that I wouldnt have to much of a problem.

The difference between Ekblad and Phanuef is Ekblad is a rock defensively (voted best defensive D by the coaches), whereas Phanuef was always seen as a offensive D (much like Dumba)

Ekblad will always have superior defensive value

I don't know if it should worry you too much.

In Doughty's draft year, 37(9g/28a) of his 50 points were on the PP.

I'd look up more, but the OHL site makes looking up PPG/PPA super annoying and I'm lazy haha.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Question, not sure if it goes here or not but....

If vancouver does end up trading for number 1, are they taking ekblad or would they take a center?

Reinhart. The guy who's ranked as the top forward from most scouts, and from North Vancouver to boot? Perfect guy to be the face of the rebuild.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There is a real chance that both Ekblad and Drasaitl are gone by #3

And that might end up being a great thing depending on Reinhart's value. I've thrown it out there before. What if a team like the Islanders is in love with Reinhart? Maybe the Canucks? They have pieces they'd probably move to get him. I'm perfectly ok with dropping to five and taking Dal Colle if he's still there or my pick would be Perlini in any circumstance at 5-6. If it meant they'd get a Nelson or a Tanev?

There's all kinds of opportunities if Reinhart drops to 3. What if Anaheim put together a package to get to 3 for Reinhart? They not only have the goods but Reinhart would fit with them perfectly.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The most interesting scenario for me would be if it goes Ekblad at 1 and Bennett at 2. Do you take the RH center in Reinhart, or the bigger body in Draisaitl? Or do you try and get say the Isles and Canucks into a bidding war for Reinhart, pick up some extra picks and quite possibly still get Draisaitl at 5 or 6.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah...that's the weird thing about this draft. It doesn't matter who falls to #3, they are all talent at a position we need to fill.

Might still be the matter of getting the pick of the litter though.

I agree. I may have a preference as to who they take at 3 between the two choices they have, but I will cheer whoever they do.

That being said, I am glad Bennett is making a late charge on the draft rankings. I expect that he's going to be a hell of a player, but he is somewhat slender in the shoulders. I think Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl might be better fits for the Oilers.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Year|1st Overall|2nd Overall|3rd Overall|4th Overall|5th Overall
2013 | Nathan MacKinnon | Aleksander Barkov | Jonathan Drouin | Seth Jones | Elias Lindholm
2012 | Nail Yakupov | Ryan Murray | Alex Galchenyuk | Griffin Reinhart | Morgan Rielly
2011 | Ryan Nugent-Hopkins | Gabriel Landeskog | Jonathan Huberdeau | Adam Larsson | Ryan Strome
2010 | Taylor Hall | Tyler Seguin | Erik Gudbranson | Ryan Johansen | Nino Niederreiter
2009 | John Tavares | Victor Hedman | Matt Duchene | Evander Kane | Brayden Schenn
2008 | Steven Stamkos | Drew Doughty | Zach Bogosian | Alex Pietrangelo | Luke Schenn
2007 | Patrick Kane | James VanRiemsdyk | Kyle Turris | Thomas Hickey | Karl Alzner
2006 | Erik Johnson | Jordan Staal | Jonathan Toews | Nicklas Backstrom | Phil Kessel
2005 | Sidney Crosby | Bobby Ryan | Jack Johnson | Benoit Pouliot | Carey Price
2004 | Alexander Ovechkin | Evgeny Malkin | Cam Barker | Andrew Ladd | Blake Wheeler
2003 | Marc-Andre Fleury | Eric Staal | Nathan Horton | Nikolai Zherdev | Thomas Vanek
2002 | Rick Nash | Kari Lehtonen | Jay Bouwmeester | Joni Pitkanen | Ryan Whitney
2001 | Ilya Kovalchuk | Jason Spezza | Alexandr Svitov | Stephen Weiss | Stanislav Chistov
2000 | Rick DiPietro | Dany Heatley | Marian Gaborik | Rostislav Klesla | Raffi Torres
1999 | Patrik Stefan | Daniel Sedin | Henrik Sedin | Pavel Brendl | Tim Connolly
1998 | Vincent Lecavalier | David Legwand | Brad Stuart | Bryan Allen | Vitali Vishnevsky
1997 | Joe Thornton | Patrick Marleau | Olli Jokinen | Roberto Luongo | Eric Brewer
1996 | Chris Phillips | Andrei Zyuzin | J.P. Dumont | Alexandre Volchkov | Richard Jackman
1995 | Bryan Berard | Wade Redden | Aki-Petteri Berg | Chad Kilger | Daymond Langkow
1994 | Ed Jovanovski | Oleg Tverdovsky | Radek Bonk | Jason Bonsignore | Jeff O'Neill
1993 | Alexandre Daigle | Chris Pronger | Chris Gratton | Paul Kariya | Rob Niedermayer
1992 | Roman Hamrlik | Alexei Yashin | Mike Rathje | Todd Warriner | Darius Kasparaitis
1991 | Eric Lindros | Pat Falloon | Scott Niedermayer | Scott Lachance | Aaron Ward
1990 | Owen Nolan | Petr Nedved | Keith Primeau | Mike Ricci | Jaromir Jagr
1989 | Mats Sundin | Dave Chyzowski | Scott Thornton | Stu Barnes | Bill Guerin
1988 | Mike Modano | Trevor Linden | Curtis Leschyshyn | Darrin Shannon | Daniel Dore
1987 | Pierre Turgeon | Brendan Shanahan | Glen Wesley | Wayne McBean | Chris Joseph
1986 | Joe Murphy | Jimmy Carson | Neil Brady | Zarley Zalapski | Shawn Anderson
1985 | Wendel Clark | Craig Simpson | Craig Wolanin | Jim Sandlak | Dana Murzyn
1984 | Mario Lemieux | Kirk Muller | Ed Olczyk | Al Iafrate | Petr Svoboda
1983 | Brian Lawton | Sylvain Turgeon | Pat LaFontaine | Steve Yzerman | Tom Barrasso
1981 | Dale Hawerchuk | Doug Smith | Bobby Carpenter | Ron Francis | Joe Cirella
1980 | Doug Wickenheiser | Dave Babych | Denis Savard | Larry Murphy | Darren Veitch

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Thinking of Ekblad kind of makes me nostalgic for the best of Souray and Chris Pronger.

Feels like years since we have had a physical, gamer of a D with a big shot.

As we get closer to this thing, I am wanting him more and more.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Thinking of Ekblad kind of makes me nostalgic for the best of Souray and Chris Pronger.

I'll feel bad for you, if he gets taken by the time the oilers draft then. Heck, I'll feel the same way. :laugh:

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012

I think it's a safe bet that Florida is going to grab Ekblad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad