Oilers Development Camp

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not saying he would be a perfect fit with McDavid due to his shot, but could you imagine Connor setting him up on a nightly basis?

I haven't seen Maksimov as much as some of you guys, but how was his speed last year? Do you think he has the hockey sense to play with McDavid in the future possibly?

Definitely a kid to keep an eye on, I'm really digging this new scouting staff. Looks like we could have some late round gems, Safin apparently has looked really good as well
Good speed, but not elite. Definitely has the hockey sense. Knows how to get open in shooting spots.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I mean I cant even think of 1 RHD that was being developed prior to Chiarelli's arrival here.

Jeff Petry, and... that's all I can even think of. The fact that he's been on another team for more than 3 years after we managed to develop him into an NHL RHD speaks volumes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jeff Petry, and... that's all I can even think of. The fact that he's been on another team for more than 3 years after we managed to develop him into an NHL RHD speaks volumes.

As an Oiler fan the Jeff Petry story is a sad one. They pissed away a solid RHD for no reason at all.

Thanks MacT.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Watching these Maksimov highlights makes me drool of him and Bouchard potentially ripping bombs on the PP from Connor and Drai

That shot at 4:02 is filthy

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I agree.
Also...the Oilers have a solid group of RHD prospects. Especially solid considering it was almost all done under Chiarelli's watch in the last couple of years.

I mean I cant even think of 1 RHD that was being developed prior to Chiarelli's arrival here.

Other than the aforementioned Petry, Justin Schultz? :)

I like how he has been erased from the collective Oilers consciousness. Bouchard has some Jultz like brain farts him that need to be removed. Please don’t rush the guy. I feel we rushed Nurse and stunted him offensive upside.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I like how he has been erased from the collective Oilers consciousness. Bouchard has some Jultz like brain farts him that need to be removed. Please don’t rush the guy. I feel we rushed Nurse and stunted him offensive upside.

Schultz was signed as a UFA. I was thinking more about players the Oilers drafted and developed.

Petry was a 2nd round pick. The Oilers spent all that time developing him and then just gave him away.
With decision making like that its little wonder the team was so bad for so long.

Reactions: Aerrol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

How was Nurse rushed? He played 2 years of junior after drafted then eased his way into the lineup in his 3rd year post-draft. If there's any player that's been developed properly by the Oilers in recent times, it's Nurse. I don't count Drai because they clearly rushed him in his rookie season. Well, Klef too.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
How was Nurse rushed? He played 2 years of junior after drafted then eased his way into the lineup in his 3rd year post-draft. If there's any player that's been developed properly by the Oilers in recent times, it's Nurse. I don't count Drai because they clearly rushed him in his rookie season.

He should have spent a year in th AHL playing on the top PP. It’s obvious his offensive IQ could use development in the O zone. Best do it in the minors.

I had the same issue with how the Oilers developed Smid who skated like the wind before he gained 30? pounds and slowed down. Smid never developed his offensive skill set (if he had any potential to - I think he did)

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Anyone else think Tyler Benson looks like the bizarro version of Connor McDavid? He even talks like him..

On that note.. I also think Logan Couture looks like bizarro Sidney Crosby..

I was gonna message the same thing, looks like the evil twin in a good way.

Logan Couture does not look like Crosby in my opinion.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He should have spent a year in th AHL playing on the top PP. It’s obvious his offensive IQ could use development in the O zone. Best do it in the minors.

I had the same issue with how the Oilers developed Smid who skated like the wind before he gained 30? pounds and slowed down. Smid never developed his offensive skill set (if he had any potential to - I think he did)

Nurse never had much offensive upside IMO.
You don't develop IQ, you either have it or you don't and he doesn't really have a good feel for the game in the offensive zone. I don't think this is something that could have been developed at the AHL level.

I think they did it right with him. 2 years in junior, dominated the WJC, gave him soft minutes in the NHL for the next 2 seasons then bump him up to a tougher minute role in his 5th season post-draft. It's slow and steady but he's on the right track, steadily improving every year.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
All this Jeff petry talk. He was decent. That being said if we didn't trade him at the deadline in 2015, we would not have Connor Mcdavid. We lost the perfect amount of games to secure us the top pick.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
As an Oiler fan the Jeff Petry story is a sad one. They pissed away a solid RHD for no reason at all.

Thanks MacT.

McDavid though :naughty:

Traded away the only D that Todd Nelson had at his disposal that was able to keep his head above water against good players. Paid dividends in the end, hehe.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
McDavid though :naughty:

Traded away the only D that Todd Nelson had at his disposal that was able to keep his head above water against good players. Paid dividends in the end, hehe.

Yeah...I hear you man. Appreciate the reminder. :D

I like the positive spin. :nod:

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Nurse never had much offensive upside IMO.
You don't develop IQ, you either have it or you don't and he doesn't really have a good feel for the game in the offensive zone. I don't think this is something that could have been developed at the AHL level.

I think they did it right with him. 2 years in junior, dominated the WJC, gave him soft minutes in the NHL for the next 2 seasons then bump him up to a tougher minute role in his 5th season post-draft. It's slow and steady but he's on the right track, steadily improving every year.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Where do people get this from? You do realize he was pretty much a point per game defenceman in the OHL right? Captain of his team, highly regarded twoneay defenceman that plays physical.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Schultz was signed as a UFA. I was thinking more about players the Oilers drafted and developed.

Petry was a 2nd round pick. The Oilers spent all that time developing him and then just gave him away.
With decision making like that its little wonder the team was so bad for so long.
Oilers didn't give Petry away. They tried to sign him but he already made up his mind to not re-sign.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oilers didn't give Petry away. They tried to sign him but he already made up his mind to not re-sign.

MacT completely botched that up in how he handled Petry.
After that it was clear he wasn't going to stay in Edmonton.

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They signed him to a one year deal to go to UFA. It's assumed MacT wasn't convinced enough to commit to him. It was a serious lapse in judgement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad