Oilers Development Camp

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I have been following Benson since he was a wee lad in Edmonton. I really hope he pans out.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Twenty-four players will attend the 2018 Oilers Development Camp in Edmonton from June 25-28, including Evan Bouchard, the team's first round pick at the 2018 NHL Draft and forward Kailer Yamamoto, selected in the first round at the 2017 NHL Draft.
Goaltenders (4): Olivier Rodrigue (Chicoutimi, QC/ Drummondville, QMJHL); Stuart Skinner (Edmonton, AB/ Swift Current, WHL), Shane Starrett (Bellingham, MA/ Wichita, ECHL), Dylan Wells (St. Catharines, ON/ Peterborough, OHL);

Defencemen (8): Evan Bouchard (Oakville, ON/ London, OHL), Matthew Cairns (Mississauga, ON/ Cornell, ECAC), Logan Day (Seminole, FL/ Endicott, NCAA D3), Vincent Desharnais (Laval, QC/ Providence College, H-East), Caleb Jones (Frisco, TX/ Bakersfield, AHL), Philip Kemp (Greenwich, CT/ Yale, ECAC), Michael Kesselring (Florence, NC/ Hampton School, NH USHS), Dmitri Samorukov (Volgograd, RUS/ Guelph, OHL);

Forwards (12): Tyler Benson (Edmonton, AB/ Vancouver, WHL), Skyler Brind'amour (Raleigh, NC/ Chilliwack, BCHL), JD Dudek (Derry, NH/ Boston College, H-East), Cameron Hebig (Saskatoon, SK/ Regina, WHL), Colin Larkin (Waterford, MI/ UMass-Boston, NCAA D3), Kirill Maksimov (Moscow, RUS/ Niagara, OHL), Ryan McLeod (Mississauga, ON/ Mississauga, OHL), Cooper Marody (Brighton, MI/ Michigan, Big Ten), Graham McPhee (Bethesda, MD/ Boston College, H-East), Ostap Safin (Prague, CZE/ Saint John, QMJHL), Nolan Vesey (North Reading, MA/ Maine, H-East), Kailer Yamamoto (Spokane, WA/ Spokane, WHL);

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I heard they were cancelling it. Any idea as to why?
It's still on but the Oilers and Flames won't be there. Vancouver and Winnipeg will play two games against each other. UBC and UofA will play each other twice as well.

Edmonton's prospects will play a game against Calgary's in Red Deer instead.

Reactions: Night Witch

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have been following Benson since he was a wee lad in Edmonton. I really hope he pans out.
Yeah one of my close friends coached him in midget. Love to see local boys pan out. I remember them saying he was the best player to come out of Edmonton since Bowmeester.

Reactions: A91 and KidAnger

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's still on but the Oilers and Flames won't be there. Vancouver and Winnipeg will play two games against each other. UBC and UofA will play each other twice as well.

Edmonton's prospects will play a game against Calgary's in Red Deer instead.

Thanks

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
You saw him play with Confed?

Not that far back - moreso his SSAC days and into the WHL draft. He was dominant. Lost track of him in jr., but always wished him well.

I was happy when Edmonton took a swing on him. It was more than a local kid picked for a feel good moment. The kid is a player and leader. If he can round out bottom six in an NHL lineup he will be very serviceable. High end potential. Just needs to take the next step as a pro.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not that far back - moreso his SSAC days and into the WHL draft. He was dominant. Lost track of him in jr., but always wished him well.

I was happy when Edmonton took a swing on him. It was more than a local kid picked for a feel good moment. The kid is a player and leader. If he can round out bottom six in an NHL lineup he will be very serviceable. High end potential. Just needs to take the next step as a pro.

Agree. I’ve seen him since prenovice in Confed and know his dad. Hope he does well.

Reactions: SourOil

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
We do, but he isn't exactly tracking well and he just spent the year in Finland so I wouldn't expect him to be here. Needs to have a good season next year if he wants to be offered a contract.
It looks like he's in Mestis as well - yikes. He's +2 on his draft this upcoming season, so he needs to be in the SM-liiga and playing honest minutes to really show some development here.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It looks like he's in Mestis as well - yikes. He's +2 on his draft this upcoming season, so he needs to be in the SM-liiga and playing honest minutes to really show some development here.
Definitely unfortunate given that at his size he was quite mobile, but there's definitely limited offensive upside in his game imo. He's starting to remind me of a less offensive Marincin who doesn't really use his size to his full potential and thats definitely concerning. You can't hit on every prospect in a draft though so it is what it is. Matthew Cairns is another 3rd rounder who needs to have a big year to get back on track. Similarly, he's a good sized defender who skates well, but hockey IQ and offensive upside are certainly question marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad