Oilers Development Camp

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree. I personally think he's going to blow our expectations out of this world during pre-season.

Bold prediction:Yamamoto finishes with more points than Puljujarvi this season, in the NHL.
I could see him pulling a Draisaitl. Heavily impresses at camp, they send him to the AHL for a few weeks, call him up and he never turns back and is Draisaitls man for the season.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I agree. I personally think he's going to blow our expectations out of this world during pre-season.

Bold prediction:Yamamoto finishes with more points than Puljujarvi this season, in the NHL.
I can see this happening under TMac.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

That's my boy.

I'm not saying he would be a perfect fit with McDavid due to his shot, but could you imagine Connor setting him up on a nightly basis?

I haven't seen Maksimov as much as some of you guys, but how was his speed last year? Do you think he has the hockey sense to play with McDavid in the future possibly?

Definitely a kid to keep an eye on, I'm really digging this new scouting staff. Looks like we could have some late round gems, Safin apparently has looked really good as well

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not saying he would be a perfect fit with McDavid due to his shot, but could you imagine Connor setting him up on a nightly basis?

I haven't seen Maksimov as much as some of you guys, but how was his speed last year? Do you think he has the hockey sense to play with McDavid in the future possibly?

Definitely a kid to keep an eye on, I'm really digging this new scouting staff. Looks like we could have some late round gems, Safin apparently has looked really good as well
Until this draft our 5 best non first round prospects, only one was in the 2nd round.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Safin’s got six inches and 40 pounds on most of these kids, he’d better look good.

But agreed. His skating particularly looks solid.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Safin’s got six inches and 40 pounds on most of these kids, he’d better look good.

But agreed. His skating particularly looks solid.
Safin is 6'5, 190 lbs. He's around average for weight, can you imagine once he gets up to 205-210lbs

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's quite annoying that the D and the wings are coming, but not soon enough. :(

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's quite annoying that the D and the wings are coming, but not soon enough. :(
Agreed. However at the same time, if they broke into the league soon, we might have to trade them away cause we couldn't afford them. If they break into the league in a couple years hopefully the cap goes up enough to compensate.

I could see a future makeup of something like...

RNH - McDavid - Maksimov
Yamamoto - Draisaitl - Pulju
McLeod - Marody - Benson

Of course not all of them will break in but I could dream.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed. However at the same time, if they broke into the league soon, we might have to trade them away cause we couldn't afford them. If they break into the league in a couple years hopefully the cap goes up enough to compensate.

I could see a future makeup of something like...

RNH - McDavid - Maksimov
Yamamoto - Draisaitl - Pulju
McLeod - Marody - Benson

Of course not all of them will break in but I could dream.

This is an interesting point. Its almost like you need to build a team in layers just to keep it affordable.
If you take a step back and look at this team they are clearly building it down the middle.Which IMo is the right way to do it. Its the drafting prior to Chias arrival thats really hurt this team.
They really need to have a young cheap winger step up.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is an interesting point. Its almost like you need to build a team in layers just to keep it affordable.
If you take a step back and look at this team they are clearly building it down the middle.Which IMo is the right way to do it.
They really need to have a young cheap winger step up.
I feel like Yamamoto or Benson could be that guy this year. Benson has the hockey iq to be that third man on a skill line. If Lucic bounces back, I think Lucic - Draisaitl - Benson might actually vibe pretty well.

I'm a negative guy but I think one defender and one forward really surprise us at camp.

Actually Marody could surprise too, although I would love to see a Benson - Marody - Yamamoto line trash on the AHL

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I feel like Yamamoto or Benson could be that guy this year. Benson has the hockey iq to be that third man on a skill line. If Lucic bounces back, I think Lucic - Draisaitl - Benson might actually vibe pretty well.

I'm a negative guy but I think one defender and one forward really surprise us at camp.

That doesnt sound unreasonable at all and if it is in fact Benson that does step up that would be a great story.

On 'D' I am really high on Bouchard. I think this kid is going to be special.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That doesnt sound unreasonable at all and if it is in fact Benson that does step up that would be a great story.

On 'D' I am really high on Bouchard. I think this kid is going to be special.
I think he can step in as easily as Ekblad. Imo I think he dropped cause he was on a bad team, played far too many minutes which made his game not look as...polished.

Berglund, Lagesson, Bear, Jones and Bouchard are actually a pretty solid group of D prospects. I think 2 of those guys become top 4 nhlers and 1 is a 5-7 guy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think he can step in as easily as Ekblad. Imo I think he dropped cause he was on a bad team, played far too many minutes which made his game not look as...polished.

Berglund, Lagesson, Bear, Jones and Bouchard are actually a pretty solid group of D prospects. I think 2 of those guys become top 4 nhlers and 1 is a 5-7 guy.

I agree.
Also...the Oilers have a solid group of RHD prospects. Especially solid considering it was almost all done under Chiarelli's watch in the last couple of years.

I mean I cant even think of 1 RHD that was being developed prior to Chiarelli's arrival here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad