Speculation: Oilers Close to Signing College D Kenny Morrison

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Marincin, Klefbom, Davidson, Musil, Fedun, Gernat, Bigos, Morrison, Deck(?) + two to three more experenced defenceman (eg: Teubert, Stafford, Jones)

Well Stockton will be seeing a nice influx of talent on the blueline next year.

Will not be shocked to see the new GM move some of these guys.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Oilers should really just write down all the names of their soft players and check off the half of them that are their least favorite. Trade those for equivalent value players who bring physicality, leadership and pride instead.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pretty sure he'd also lose his NCAA eligibility if he accepted any gifts/merchandise, including that much talked about Oilers hoody.

Yeah, the NCAA is really strict.

If the Oilers paid for his flight, that hoodie or even gave him a piece of gum, he could be suspended or lose his eligibility.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
Yeah, the NCAA is really strict.

If the Oilers paid for his flight, that hoodie or even gave him a piece of gum, he could be suspended or lose his eligibility.

I think it's already clear he isn't returning to College. No guarantee yet that we sign him but it would be nice to add another free asset.

cbear42

Sep 1, 2008
Dekeyser was highly touted for his defensive game though, not an offensive dynamo at all.

Morrison seems to bei in the Schultz mold with his offensive ability, but I think his is more of a power game than the cerebral skating one Schultz plays. Huge slapper - I mean an NHL-ready bomb of a clapper.

Check this out:

I have a feeling he was well-sheltered with Danny Dekeyser this season with WMU, and if he does sign he'll be someone that'll take 1-2 years of development. But never a bad thing for this team to invest in someone with a big slapshot.

No one on this team right now possesses anything close to as hard a shot as this guy. Not Petry, not Schultz - maybe Potter if accurate.

After watching that clip, maybe we should look in to signing that whole line...looked like an improvement over what we have

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I never realized how young Morrison is, he just turned 21 and only has one year of NCAA hockey under his belt.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
^

He has to be signed.

There's no way management is dumb enough to think seeing the Oilers play would actually make someone want to sign with them.

"Look how easy you make team! Like take candy from baby!"

The Perfect Human*

There's no way this guy is qualified for NHL play right now, not even on a pseudo-AHL team like ours. There's too many holes in his game from what I read.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2012/12/wmu_hockey_freshman_kenney_mor.html

Maybe he can be a Boychuk-like project, a guy who works his way up to the NHL ranks over 3-4 AHL seasons. He's got a lot of rounding out to do in terms of defensive play - but I feel he could be a physical guy once it happens.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
He's basically like signing a 2011 draft pick, so still lots of room for development.

That's an interesting angle, compared to other 2011 NCAA defensemen his boxcars looking pretty good. He'd be in the higher range of middle round picks like Dillon Simpson.

Moves like this make Smithson/Fistric trades easier to justify.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
There's no way this guy is qualified for NHL play right now, not even on a pseudo-AHL team like ours. There's too many holes in his game from what I read.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2012/12/wmu_hockey_freshman_kenney_mor.html

Maybe he can be a Boychuk-like project, a guy who works his way up to the NHL ranks over 3-4 AHL seasons. He's got a lot of rounding out to do in terms of defensive play - but I feel he could be a physical guy once it happens.

Again its worth noting his age this guy is younger then justin schultz so yeah he probably won't be on our blue line next season but maybe he will be in a couple seasons

That is if we sign him, so far no word on an official signing

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Have to keep in mind that that article was written in December.

He could have developed over the course of the season.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
kenny Morrison watched last night's oiler ducks game with oilers brass (lowe, mact) he was wearing an oilers hoodie according to Tencer.

@dantencer: Further to @Bob_Stauffer, Western Michigan 6'2 200lbs. D Kenny Morrison, he of the wicked slap shot, is here with Oilers brass tonight...

I thought Mac T was in Russia so I guess it will happen when he is back.

Wait what..... something doesn't add up here.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

I'm wondering if the OP knows for certain that MacT was in attendance or he's just assuming MacT was there.

BTW, I was the one who said MacT was in Russia, repeating something Tencer said on his show last night. However, even in that post I was asking the question of "did I hear Dan right?" because I was somewhat distracted at the time and was not 100% sure I heard him correctly.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton

I'll fix it.

The u18s are going on in Sochi.

(I guess I should say I don't know if he's in Russia, but that's probably why if he is.)

I'm wondering if the OP knows for certain that MacT was in attendance or he's just assuming MacT was there.

BTW, I was the one who said MacT was in Russia, repeating something Tencer said on his show last night. However, even in that post I was asking the question of "did I hear Dan right?" because I was somewhat distracted at the time and was not 100% sure I heard him correctly.

No, i didn't know MacT was in Russia for the U18 tournament i assumed he was in attendance because the tweet said "brass" but if he's in Russia for the tournament (that ended today i believe) then i guess he was not there Monday night. so as someone mention maybe this gets announced when he gets back.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
The u18s are going on in Sochi.

(I guess I should say I don't know if he's in Russia, but that's probably why if he is.)

I'm quite sure I heard him correctly. A caller had made some goofy comment like Mact was listening to the show and Dan laughed and said, "He's not even here, he's in Russia." Nevertheless, I don't like to post any information here unless I'm 100% certain and if I'm not certain I make sure to note it in my post.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'll fix it.

No, i didn't know MacT was in Russia for the U18 tournament i assumed he was in attendance because the tweet said "brass" but if he's in Russia for the tournament (that ended today i believe) then i guess he was not there Monday night. so as someone mention maybe this gets announced when he gets back.

The preliminary round ended today.

The gold medal game is on the 28th.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce