Speculation: Oilers Close to Signing College D Kenny Morrison

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
As of right now this is not official but i think it will be very soon.
Here is some info on the guy
The 6'2" 200 lb 21 years old defenseman just finished his first year of college hockey with Western Michigan
In 38 games Morrison had 7 goals 13 assists for 20 points and 32 PIMs
kenny Morrison watched last night's oiler ducks game with oilers brass (lowe, mact?) he was wearing an oilers hoodie according to Tencer.
So based on this and the tweets below i think this will be official maybe as early as morning

All my info came from these tweets plus listening to Tencer post game
@Bob_Stauffer: Lloydminster product Kenny Morrison who just wrapped up his Freshman campaign at Western Michigan is at Rexall. Morrison is 6'2", 200 lb...
@Bob_Stauffer: ...Defenceman who is a right shot and has a big shot. Finished with 7-13-20 this season playing for Andy Murray
@dantencer: Further to @Bob_Stauffer, Western Michigan 6'2 200lbs. D Kenny Morrison, he of the wicked slap shot, is here with Oilers brass tonight...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=132107

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Perfect #1D. Slot him into the lineup, he won't need to be sheltered. :sarcasm:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think after watching the Oilers game, he went to enroll at NAIT so he could get respectable work.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We need to be scouring the college and KHL ranks to find all the diamonds in the rough we can, I don't know much about this kid, lets hope he's good and signs here though because we need defensive depth.

Perhaps he can replace Corey Potter?

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
So many jokes.

MacT is getting bolder by the day, there i made one

Seriously though i don't know much past the stats but this guy could challenge for a roster spot depending on what happens in the off season, either way should be a decent depth guy even if it just for okc
As soundwave said you never know when one of these guys could turn out to be that diamond in the rough

The Perfect Human*

Dekeyser was highly touted for his defensive game though, not an offensive dynamo at all.

Morrison seems to bei in the Schultz mold with his offensive ability, but I think his is more of a power game than the cerebral skating one Schultz plays. Huge slapper - I mean an NHL-ready bomb of a clapper.

Check this out:

I have a feeling he was well-sheltered with Danny Dekeyser this season with WMU, and if he does sign he'll be someone that'll take 1-2 years of development. But never a bad thing for this team to invest in someone with a big slapshot.

No one on this team right now possesses anything close to as hard a shot as this guy. Not Petry, not Schultz - maybe Potter if accurate.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks for that, the kid can hammer the puck pretty well, almost like a RH Souray, I wonder if they've clocked his slapper at any skills competitions? He's a bigger kid than Schultz is (thickness wise) and likely strength wise as well. It'd be great to hear about his skating and defensive awareness, but he sounds like a guy that I'd be happy to have join the organization.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just doing some searches, it sounds like his defensive game is on the raw side, and his favorite players are Mike Green and Drew Doughty.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
There's plenty of room in the OKC line-up next season for him.

Plante will be gone. Gernat may be in Europe. Marincin will be the no.1 guy in OKC unless Klefbom starts the season there, with Tuebert likely getting a one year two-way deal for his 4th pro season.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Everyone call him "Ken", Kenny and Dougie(dammit Boston fans :rant:) are toddler names.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting know nothing about him, but usually these signings are to guys who have more then 1 year of college under their belt.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There's plenty of room in the OKC line-up next season for him.

Plante will be gone. Gernat may be in Europe. Marincin will be the no.1 guy in OKC unless Klefbom starts the season there, with Tuebert likely getting a one year two-way deal for his 4th pro season.

Why is Gernat in Europe?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We need to be scouring the college and KHL ranks to find all the diamonds in the rough we can, I don't know much about this kid, lets hope he's good and signs here though because we need defensive depth.

Perhaps he can replace Corey Potter?

He actually sounds a lot like Potter.

A fringe skillset, but with a cannon of a shot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Complete speculation by my part, but I brought up in the MacT thread how we are suppose to be adding another assistant coach.

Any chance that is Huddy? Just reading about how raw this kid is and all the other young up and comers, I wonder if he'd be a great addition. Or is that stepping on toes of Smith?

Turrican*

I think Dougie and Freddie were born that way.
Not Douglas and Frederick, but their parents actually named them Dougie and Freddie.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Tencer said on his show last night that Morrison was wearing an Oilers hoodie. He assumed (and I agree) that means that the deal is either done and just waiting to be announced or that the signing is a foregone conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad