GDT: Oilers @ Blues - 10/8/15 - The Legend's First NHL Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Finally have a 4th line center that can score. Haven't had that since the great Ryan Johnson.

In all seriousness, Brodziak is a pretty big 4th line upgrade for us and Ryan Johnson was one of the best shot-blockers the Blues ever had, that guy was all heart.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Our PK seems dangerous this year. Couple of preseason goals(lol preseason) and that post, not to mention petro making it dangerous the other way

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I agree without Bouwmeester. There was one in the first period where it was a footrace between Bouwmeester and McDavid and I was like 'we're doomed'. But Bouwmeester put on his running shoes and got there first.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I agree without Bouwmeester. There was one in the first period where it was a footrace between Bouwmeester and McDavid and I was like 'we're doomed'. But Bouwmeester put on his running shoes and got there first.

From an Oilers' perspective, it was noticeable. He contained very quick players like McDavid, Hall, and Yakupov to the perimeter.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think Bouwmeester has already matched his 2014-2015 point total for the entire season. If not, he's got to be close. Glad to see him back. Hopefully he stays healthy this season. If he does, and Petro/Shatty play like they did last night, this club is going to be hard to beat.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So, this is what we need to succeed:

Healthy Jay-Bo
Mean Berglund
Calm Backes
Any version of Tarasenko
Assertive Schwartz
Lehtera vs Finnish goalies
I'm a beast Parayko

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Gunnarson had some struggles last night, but when he's on his game, he's a significant upgrade over our rookies at the moment. Despite flopping around and looking like he's not up to speed at times, he made several smart defensive plays with his stick breaking up chances and had some nifty passing in the offensive zone. I expect him to largely remain in the line up unless both Edmundson and Parayko secure a role, in which case he might become more valuable to trade around the deadline because he's replaceable.

I only recall one time last night where Edmundson and Parayko got hemmed in for any significant length of time. They found a way to get a whistle without giving up a chance. They both looked pretty good last night for rookies, but they look like they need to practice more on the same line to develop some chemistry and communication.

Really hope the Blues figure out how to integrate more traffic in front of the net into their offensive schemes. Brouwer, Backes, Jaskin, Reaves, etc all need to create some havoc instead of defaulting into the perimeter play we saw for too long last night.

Overall, pretty good game for the team. Looking forward to seeing it run like a well-oiled machine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, when the 2 rooks got hemmed in, I got worried, but they played it smart, used their big bodies on the boards and forced the refs to blow the whistle. Inexperience got them into that mess by not keeping it simple, but a vet-type move was able to get a faceoff and new lines.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
It looked like shaggy has added a little bit of petros escabililty to his game. He danced around a number of oilers

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Parayko had a bomb of a shot in the first. Once he learns how to use it more, watch out. He had 2 wrist shots on net that werent as effective, if he learned to get a slapper off he could have put one in.

First NHL game and didnt look out of place. Pretty confident with the puck

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Parayko had a bomb of a shot in the first. Once he learns how to use it more, watch out. He had 2 wrist shots on net that werent as effective, if he learned to get a slapper off he could have put one in.

First NHL game and didnt look out of place. Pretty confident with the puck

His wrist shot needs work, during preseason he was getting the cannon off easily, I'd amount it to 1st game jitters. His post game was enjoyable. 0% chance anybody can dislike him.

I'd also like to say I think your Oilers have a light at the end of the tunnel finally, they didn't get ran over. dangerous team in a couple years

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
His wrist shot needs work, during preseason he was getting the cannon off easily, I'd amount it to 1st game jitters. His post game was enjoyable. 0% chance anybody can dislike him.

I'd also like to say I think your Oilers have a light at the end of the tunnel finally, they didn't get ran over. dangerous team in a couple years

I think itll be him learning how to get a bit of seperation from D in order to have enough gap to wind up. Thatll come with experience.

Agreed that noone can hate him. I posted this in main board, but Parayko spent the entire summer in St.Lious training with Petro (living with him as well for a bit) and Backes as well to I believe. He took 1 week off to come home. Thats pretty crazy for a player who played entire season in NCAA taking courses etc, then transitioning to AHL. Normally players would take a month or so easy. Even missed his sisters wedding in Mexico.

haha yeah hopefully. I knew Oilers were going to lose, I called a 3-1 loss actually. Blues are way to good and way to balanced. It was good to see them not totally give up and actually have some chances in the game. Theyll never be a power house but maybe a playoff team

Blues are quietly a team doing everything right. Good signings and trades (J-Bo was really good) and probaly best drafting in NHL. Picking up Barbeshev, fabbri, Jaskin, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Parayko, Edmunson, Linbolhm in the recent drafts. Thats how you restock depth in a cap era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad