GDT: Oilers @ Blues - 10/8/15 - The Legend's First NHL Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burakovsky95*

One thing about Brouwer that led to a lot of the ire he received from Caps fans is that he was always forced into a top 6, PP1 role that he just couldn't excel in. If he stays on that line he played with in this one, he should be a very nice asset for you all.

We're loving Oshie. Killing it with Ovechkin/Kuznetsov.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Late but some of my thoughts:

- Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk were on a different level from any other defenseman on the ice. While other players looked rusty, these guys just made some magnificent plays with the puck and made it look easy. Shatty could have had a few points. Great to see.

- You can just tell Fabbri will become a good player. Kid just has "it". Already stripping players of pucks like Schwartz at 19. He's gonna be a beast.

- I liked Brodziak's game a lot tonight. Should be a very solid 4th-line center. Does everything well - sticks up for teammates, solid defensively, pretty good shot too.

- Top 2 lines moved the puck really well together. Tarasenko is just unbelievable offensively, and it's to the point where he's impossible to cover. Not only can he score from anywhere on the ice but he's so sneaky too. You take your eye off him for a half second and all the sudden he's wide open. That's like how it is with Patrick Kane too. Elite player.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Tarasenko is just unbelievable offensively, and it's to the point where he's impossible to cover. Not only can he score from anywhere on the ice but he's so sneaky too. You take your eye off him for a half second and all the sudden he's wide open. That's like how it is with Patrick Kane too. Elite player.

And how about that diving poke-check? :handclap:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It's not Russian, but Ukrainian, and it should be Pah-ray-ko.
Sorry. I stand corrected. I should have known that. I grew up among scads of Ukranians in southern Manitoba. Yes, now I remember that -enko and -ayko are Ukranian suffixes, "-ko" meaning little. I'm sure a lot of oldtimers here remember Eric Nesterenko.

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
A few thoughts from the game...

The top line of Steen - Stastny - Tarasenko were just dominate all game long. I only remember one shift where they got hemmed in. The rest of the time they were on the attack.

Lehtera is obviously not fully up to speed but he plays such a cerebral game. He is a guy that relies more on his hockey smarts then skill which is why I am fine with him still being in.

Schwartz was Schwartz and Fabbri was... well.. Schwartz but a few years younger. Honestly if they had traded jerseys in the middle of the game I doubt anyone would have noticed.

Jaskin was the best player on the 3rd line. He drove the play and should have drawn numerous penalty calls but for some reason the refs just wouldn't whistle anyone for infraction against him. Maybe he slept with one of the refs wife or something because there was some obvious calls that should have been made.

Backes was Backes. Brouwer plays a very simple game. You will never be wowed by him but at the same time it doesn't seem like he makes many mistakes.

Ott was actually very good tonight and Brodziak plays a real smart game and has an underrated shot. Reaves wasn't very noticeable in the game. Against "lighter" teams I wouldn't mind Upshall getting some games in his place.

Petro (fluke goal excluded) was great all game long, skating the puck out of trouble several times. Jbow looks healthy again, he was moving well.

Shattenkirk was pretty quiet this game but still solid overall. Gunnarsson just looked a step behind all game long, probably due to injury but man he was just "off," is the only word I can think of.

Parayko had a couple of hiccups but recovered well. I did notice him try to force things a little bit at times. Just needs to learn to pick his spots for trying to make the "extra" play and instead just make the simple play. Overall a very good game and has future #1 D written all over him.

Ed started off really shaky but kept getting better as the game went on. By the end I was totally comfortable with him being out there against anybody. Probably just nerves early on.

Elliott should have had a shutout but we all had a good laugh at the fluke goal in the stands.

The only thing I am really going to ***** about is the PP. It was awful. The same thing we have seen year after year. Telegraphed, stagnant passing where nobody is moving and were just trying to force the puck to Tarasenko. Note to Hitch, other people can shoot. The main reason this pisses me off is because during the PPs in the Chicago preseason game there was so much movement and quick passing and it worked so well. It had the Hawks PKers scrambling around until the Blues found the open man for a quality chance. Why we can't do it in the regular season is beyond me.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The only thing I am really going to ***** about is the PP. It was awful. The same thing we have seen year after year. Telegraphed, stagnant passing where nobody is moving and were just trying to force the puck to Tarasenko. Note to Hitch, other people can shoot. The main reason this pisses me off is because during the PPs in the Chicago preseason game there was so much movement and quick passing and it worked so well. It had the Hawks PKers scrambling around until the Blues found the open man for a quality chance. Why we can't do it in the regular season is beyond me.

There will always be things to improve and I agree that there were unnecessary fumbles on the powerplay just as there were early-season unnecessary fumbles all over the ice...

...But you must be a visitor from the darkest timeline because the Blues had the 4th best powerplay in the league last season and the 7th the year before that. Only four teams have scored more powerplay goals for the past two seasons, the Capitals, Penguins, Flyers, and Red Wings. Best powerplay in the Western Conference, hands down.

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I agree pretty much with Blanick's write-up so part of this may end up looking like I have plagarised his work but what the heck, I am going to go ahead and provide my thoughts about opening night anyway. Albeit not with the same hockey nous as others around here:

* McDavid shouldn't feel too upset that he didn't light the lamp.... I mean the NHL's main man Crosby has been in the league for 10 years and still hasn't scored diddly squat against us.

* Loved that a Hitchcock coached team featured a forward line of Fabbri-Lehtera-Schwartz and a d-pairing of Edmundson-Parayko. Must admit I doubted whether we'd see Hitchock show that much faith in our 2 rookie D.

* The first line looked so bloody threatening on just about every shift. It is such a blessing to have a weapon like Tarasenko. He makes a 1-0 deficit seem so much less stressful these days.

* Hypothetically, if Parayko and Edmundson were fighting for the one spot then advantage Parayko he seemed that little bit more poised to me but Edmundson by no means disgraced himself. In fact I was much more comfortable with that 3rd d-pairing than some of the 3rd d-pairings we have rolled out in seasons past. There were a few anxious moments but I hope that management continues to keep the faith with our two kid D with Bortuzzo getting the occasional rotation in.

* I thought Pietrangelo was absolutely brilliant. The own goal was unfortunate but with the exception of that slight blunder man he was unreal I thought.

* Schwartz also lifted his game from, at least from what I had seen, had been a pretty underwhelming preseason. I think Fabbri will learn tons playing on a line with Jaden.

* Initially I thought Fabbri was struggling to adjust, he seemed to be running into obstacles at every turn early but as the game wore on he found a little more space, won a few battles and that goal, bugger me that goal was just a great goal scorer's goal- stick on the ice, anticipating the most clever of passes from Lehtera and just buried it. Beautiful, the first of many I am sure.

* Thought Jaskin was great and will benefit in games against bigger opponents if he gets rotated onto the Schwartz-Lehtera line. Have no doubts he'll get his 20.

* Backes was just monstering McDavid in the faceoff circle. The perfect illustration to Connor that he isn't playing with kids anymore. This is a man's league.

* Gotta be honest I was, and remain, a HUGE Oshie fan but I pretty much forgot he was missing (except when Lehtera fell on his ass...figured that was Osh). I expect him to do well in Washington but I have to say I don't expect his absence is going to negatively affect this team whatsoever. Fabbri and Jaskin, not to mention Brouwer, will pick up the (regular season) slack.

*Won't lie I didn't miss Jackman out there, not one bit.

* Some of Lehtera's shifts worry me. He just seems to lag, to run out of juice much earlier than others on the back of slightly longer than average shifts sometimes.

* I think Brodziak will end up being a fantastic addition to this squad and a crucial piece if we are to advance past round 1 of the playoffs. Didn't he start off on the right skate? Very solid performance on the 4th line and a great shot that rattled off the post. So close! Also credit where credit is due- Ott was good. Reaves... meh.

* I want Steen off the point on the PP. Hate it.

That's about it, great to start with a W with the 6 game road trip to come. I see the central did what the central does and won all their games against non-divisional opponents. Going to be a dogfight yet again in hockey's hardest division. Lets go into Minny and toast 'em. :yo:

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Fabbri reminds me of Schwartz, which is without a doubt a massive compliment.

Parayko was solid, Edmundson is mean, and I like them both.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
STC sounded like it was buzzing big time on the TV. I know it was a Sell out. Alot of let's go Blues all game long. Love the excitement brought to this game after the abysmal failure last year. Hitch seems genuinely excited this year. Rarely see him with a smile.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Parayko made quite a few good defensive plays with his stick, you can really tell that once he develops and learns how to pick his spots offensively and settle in defensively, that he is going to be a big-time player.

Petro started right where he left off. He's back to his Norris caliber form and his breakout passes were beautiful last night.

I wouldn't say anyone had a bad game, which is a very good sign for the first game. Now that the nerves are out, hopefully we can settle in and convert on more of the chances that we created.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If anyone had a bad game it was Gunnerson. He was out of position and making mistakes too often for a top 4 guy. Granted, this was game one, so it doesn't mean a ton yet.

By the way, I like seeing the summary write ups by our fans! There are a lot of good assessments here.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I thought Parayko looked significantly better than Edmundson to start the game. You could tell they both were very nervous. Edmundson cleaned his game up though as the game progressed.

Though Parayko was trying a bit too hard to do it himself at times, but I'm sure that will be rectified shortly. I liked what I saw out of him and I don't think he'll see the AHL this year. We've just got to remember to be patient with the rookies and not crucify them for their mistakes. There will be growing pains but I was encouraged by what I saw last night.

If anyone had a bad game it was Gunnerson. He was out of position and making mistakes too often for a top 4 guy. Granted, this was game one, so it doesn't mean a ton yet.

By the way, I like seeing the summary write ups by our fans! There are a lot of good assessments here.

Yeah he did not have himself a great game. I'm sure the injury isn't helping his mobility but he was really struggling to move around. I think he'll have Lindbohm breathing down his neck by mid-season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Was it just me or did we seem less obsessed with matchups last night? Maybe since it was the Oilers too. I just didn't get the sense that Hitch was forcing easy matchups for rookies or offensive players or hard matchups for Backes and Petro.

I think it's good to play matchups in certain situations, but I do hope we start to just roll guys out there and let them play. Besides the 3rd pairing, we don't really need to shelter anyone anymore, so lets let Backes and Pietrangelo especially play a little more offensive.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I thought Parayko looked significantly better than Edmundson to start the game. You could tell they both were very nervous. Edmundson cleaned his game up though as the game progressed.

Though Parayko was trying a bit too hard to do it himself at times, but I'm sure that will be rectified shortly. I liked what I saw out of him and I don't think he'll see the AHL this year. We've just got to remember to be patient with the rookies and not crucify them for their mistakes. There will be growing pains but I was encouraged by what I saw last night.
Parayko might have been guilty of trying to do too much. Really though, he is used to being able to that in the AHL and NCAA. It will take a little time before he gets acclimated to his roles/capabilities. Overall, it was a good showing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Gunnarsson definitely had his good and bad moments. He's going to have an interesting time if either that doesn't improve or if his injury doesn't improve. His big asset is being consistently solid as he isn't all that physical or offensive. If he's shaky or gets hurt, Lindbohm will be ready.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Parayko might have been guilty of trying to do too much. Really though, he is used to being able to that in the AHL and NCAA. It will take a little time before he gets acclimated to his roles/capabilities. Overall, it was a good showing.

And it's definitely better to be a little too aggressive early on and have the coaches pull the reins back instead of the coaches telling him to push it harder. He'll be able to learn his limits a lot faster this way. You can also tell, that once he gets comfortable with the speed of the game, a lot of the things that seem too much right now, he will be able to do.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
23% for McDavid. Noticed it at the game too, and it really worked against his line. The NHL is so good on the dot.

Check out RNH. Not much better. Edmonton will have a heck of a time playing against other teams on the road if those don't improve.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Sorry. I stand corrected. I should have known that. I grew up among scads of Ukranians in southern Manitoba. Yes, now I remember that -enko and -ayko are Ukranian suffixes, "-ko" meaning little. I'm sure a lot of oldtimers here remember Eric Nesterenko.

Loved him in Youngblood, but his career was winding down when I was 4 and just discovering hockey in 1968-69.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Check out RNH. Not much better. Edmonton will have a heck of a time playing against other teams on the road if those don't improve.

Matchups still matter, but don't forget that first stick down is now determined by zone rather than home/road.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well we are one of the best FO teams in the league....that didn't help Edmonton either lol

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Best thing I saw last night is that JBo is back. He was FLYING out there at times. It was great to see.

Petro, own goal excluded, was awesome. Still there were some people *****ing about him on other sites. For the life of me, I don't understand it. What do those people want from him? He's not Chris Pronger, get the hell over it.

Fabbri's goal was a thing of beauty. Really like how early in the game(maybe 2nd period, hard to remember I was watching the game at a bowling alley) he lost control of the puck just before entering the blue line, but chased that ******* down and caught up to him and got the puck away within 50 feet of where he lost it. I hope he plays like that all the time. That's what I think of when I hear Hitch talk about "reckless" play. Puck hounding.

Brodziak impressed me a great deal. I kept forgetting about him when I thought of the new faces in the Blues lineup, but he really excelled in his role. Wish he could've gotten that shorty. Glad he didn't try to force a pass to Ott :laugh:

Tarasenko scored. He looked dangerous nearly every shift. He didn't forget how to play hockey over the summer. Still a stud. Not much else to say.

Parayko/Edmundson had some tough times but looked okay for the most part.

Shatty still awesome. He just gets better every season.

Elliott should've had a shutout. Wasn't challenged all that often, but he did make a couple of great saves.

I thought Schwartz was just okay. He will have better games(even though he's currently our leading scorer :laugh: )

Those were the standouts to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad