Post-Game Talk: Oilers beat NYI 5-2

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
We had good games from almost everyone.

Still some giveaways but nothing in front of Scrivens, Petry wasn't trying to get first assist on any of the oppositions goals. Actually all around we look defensively better the last few games.

We are getting tons of shots on net from the Blue and that is a skill that will hopefully get refined as the season goes on. Really need Nelson to look at tape and then figure out which players on each line are going to get in front of the net. Net presence is an area that we can really hope for some improvements.

To all those crying that we are going to win ourselves out of McEichel... Wins are the only thing that will change the locker room, the atmosphere, the culture. I know we are all jaded as **** but damn.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Figures, now that the Rogers freeview is over and i'm not going to pay for another losing season, this is the first game in probably a decade that i've missed and of course it's a win and a win by more than 1 goal (first of the season?).
From what I did see, it seemed more like a combo of the Isles effort not being full and Oilers playing better. W is a W. Gimme 2-3 weeks of wins and decent play and i'll invest again.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
primarily just annoyed that this is the dreck the Oilers got in exchange for Perron. I mean really, the Oilers couldn't even pry a legit 4th line player in trade? Klink was the worst roster player for either Yotes or Pens.

Yay, of course we end up getting him. :rant:

This is the worst Oiler player for awhile. Just watch. I've seen this guy play for Yotes. You'll start to realize that other than skating and size this guy has nothing close to NHL skillsets. Terrible handling the puck, can't receive a pass, can't make a pass. A player that chases hits all day and people not familiar with system play just go. wow, look at that guy, he's all over the place.. his positional play is a laugh. He doesn't even consider when to forecheck. He'll try to chase a forecheck when the play is already breaking the other way.

Trouble is Gordon and Hendrick are our checking line. Islanders were getting most of their scoring chances off that line and specifically Klink screwing up.

You must have forgotten about your friend Mike Brown?...:laugh:...the guy had a couple cinder blocks for hands. I sure hope Klink isn't worse then him.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
To all those crying that we are going to win ourselves out of McEichel... Wins are the only thing that will change the locker room, the atmosphere, the culture. I know we are all jaded as **** but damn.

Sure winning would be nice but it's about time they learned to do it from the start of a season. At this point they've wasted this season and I wont be surprised no matter how well they play the rest of the way if they start next year exactly the same. They tend to learn these lessons by the halfway point and then forget them again in the offseason, it sucks. At this points wins no longer matter and all they will provide is cold comfort and save some jobs for the management team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm kind of hoping Nelson can turn Yak around but Yak still needs to stop being a spazz with the puck and just play a simple game. He still over handles and would rather pass it [usually to no one or at least no one ready for a pass] than just shoot the darn thing.

It's mind boggling how all this 'talent' doesn't know how to pull it together. A lot of that is on Yak. Sure his line mates aren't much better too but Yak hasn't shown, other than playing secondary on Hall's line, to carry a line himself.

Yep, fair comment. Its like he has weird neuron firing twitch or something. Similar to what Ninimaa used to exhibit on occasion where he would make the strangest jerky movements and plays while under pressure.

tbh I don't think the latter is fair because none of Hall, RNH, Eberle got the kind of weaksauce linemate assignments Yak is getting. For instance how many games this year has Yak had with anything approaching a valid NHL center? That matters.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
You must have forgotten about your friend Mike Brown?...:laugh:...the guy had a couple cinder blocks for hands. I sure hope Klink isn't worse then him.

Not to mention the immortal Jerred Smithson, Tambo's big trade deadline acquisition in 2013. I still remember Tambo's look of contentment when he closed that ****ing deal. :shakehead

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not to mention the immortal Jerred Smithson, Tambo's big trade deadline acquisition in 2013. I still remember Tambo's look of contentment when he closed that ****ing deal. :shakehead

I consciously tried to forget about Smithson. What a reject. Tambos answer to the Belanger Triangle quandary was to sign Smithson. Good call.

Team sloth

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
this team will likely play around .400 hockey the rest of the way, finish around 27th-28th overall, and miss out on players that can actually turn the franchise around

IMO that math doesn't compute...even if the Oilers finished the remaining 42 games with 42 points (assuming a .500 clip here), that would leave them with 69 points...in every year since the 04/05 lockout, that point total guarantees a bottom 3 finish.

A .400 clip would leave them with around 61 points, which is bona fide top 1-2 draft position, pending how the lottery balls drop.

We really were that fricking atrocious to start this year.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
IMO that math doesn't compute...even if the Oilers finished the remaining 42 games with 42 points (assuming a .500 clip here), that would leave them with 69 points...in every year since the 04/05 lockout, that point total guarantees a bottom 3 finish.

A .400 clip would leave them with around 61 points, which is bona fide top 1-2 draft position, pending how the lottery balls drop.

Our next 10 game losing streak should take care of any worries about finishing too high. We know it's coming and if it doesn't, Nelson should win the Adams.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
We had good games from almost everyone.

Still some giveaways but nothing in front of Scrivens, Petry wasn't trying to get first assist on any of the oppositions goals. Actually all around we look defensively better the last few games.

We are getting tons of shots on net from the Blue and that is a skill that will hopefully get refined as the season goes on. Really need Nelson to look at tape and then figure out which players on each line are going to get in front of the net. Net presence is an area that we can really hope for some improvements.

the only thing that will change the results on the ice are the players that are creating those results.... we DO NOT have a skilled enough lineup to be a competitive hockey team... the guys that we do have with skill, don't have a head on their shoulders (hall, eberle, schultz), can't play 2-way games to save their lives (eberle, schultz, yakupov), aren't physical (same guys really), etc etc... basically, all our skill guys are ONLY skill guys, and have very little else they can contribute... hall and RNH are really the only skill guys that can do pretty much anything else

until we get skilled players who can compete, play a 2 way game, play at least a LITTLE tough when required, go to the tough areas of the ice, etc, we aren't going to win many games

our management team is beyond incompetent and couldn't trade/sign these players if their lives depended on it, so losing and drafting these players is really the only way to get them

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

really? wow, i hadn't run the numbers... those are good numbers though.... 69 points as a maximum (since i could not see us playing above .500 hockey the rest of the way) will still give us a very good shot at mceichel... good to hear

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yep, fair comment. Its like he has weird neuron firing twitch or something. Similar to what Ninimaa used to exhibit on occasion where he would make the strangest jerky movements and plays while under pressure.

tbh I don't think the latter is fair because none of Hall, RNH, Eberle got the kind of weaksauce linemate assignments Yak is getting. For instance how many games this year has Yak had with anything approaching a valid NHL center? That matters.

Oh for sure. Yak is definitely getting the short end but even when they played with a skilled player, he's still spazzing. Either its a mental thing or he just doesn't have it [except for a shot].

He's still young so probably can still turn it around but all signs point to him not being remotely close to what we all expected out of him.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Oh for sure. Yak is definitely getting the short end but even when they played with a skilled player, he's still spazzing. Either its a mental thing or he just doesn't have it [except for a shot].

He's still young so probably can still turn it around but all signs point to him not being remotely close to what we all expected out of him.

I keep thinking Yak has a shot but 9 times out of ten he misses the net, fans the shot, or breaks his stick.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

I think Yak is just trying way, way to hard at this point. If I was Nelson, what I would do is have him play a simple north/south game, try to get into position on the circle for one timers and drive the net for rebounds. You could see his frustration at the end of the game last night, he went out, threw an elbow then a slash. Another good idea would be to put him out for empty nets and shootouts. Any time you can get the guys who are struggling to put the puck in the net helps.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You know that Roy > Arcobello and Draisatl finally got sent down right?
Klinkhammer > Joensuu

The Oilers actually have a veteran second line that can defend and score. Pouliot - Roy - Purcell makes a difference.

The Oilers have an actual third line that works their butt off. Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer.

It's not just coaching, but I know some people won't believe it.

Yup. MacTavish brilliantly picked up some waiver wire junk and he is the reason the Oilers are doing better. Sign him to a twenty year extension.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
I think Yak is just trying way, way to hard at this point. If I was Nelson, what I would do is have him play a simple north/south game, try to get into position on the circle for one timers and drive the net for rebounds. You could see his frustration at the end of the game last night, he went out, threw an elbow then a slash. Another good idea would be to put him out for empty nets and shootouts. Any time you can get the guys who are struggling to put the puck in the net helps.

Agreed. It's been frustrating that they haven't been giving Yak any shootout attempts. Give the kid a chance! His confidence is shot right now and he's way over thinking things it seems... I love Hendricks work ethic.. but I think that a 'zero confidence' Yak has at least a good a chance at scoring in the SO as a fully confident Hendricks..

McDeathbyCheerios*

Agreed. It's been frustrating that they haven't been giving Yak any shootout attempts. Give the kid a chance! His confidence is shot right now and he's way over thinking things it seems... I love Hendricks work ethic.. but I think that a 'zero confidence' Yak has at least a good a chance at scoring in the SO as a fully confident Hendricks..
Hendricks had a nick name, the Wizard because he is great at shootouts.

That being said though apparently Nelson loves Yaks work ethic and wants to get him more scoring opportunities. Which is the first time I've heard a coach here say he wants to give Yak opportunities. If anyone is going to jump start him I feel like Nelson will. If not, he may be a bust.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014

That being said though apparently Nelson loves Yaks work ethic and wants to get him more scoring opportunities. Which is the first time I've heard a coach here say he wants to give Yak opportunities. If anyone is going to jump start him I feel like Nelson will. If not, he may be a bust.

Fair enough.. Didn't know that! :)

Glad to hear Nelson feels that way. I think its mainly a confidence issue with Yak right now!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Agreed. But at the risk of being repetitive Yak could do things and get in good spots much of the night. The line isn't going to be possessing the puck much with Lander as Center and Fraser on other wing. Sometimes it looks as if the org really is content with Yak failing and just allowing it to occur.

Yak needs help. Not this. He's the last player on this team that should be rearing AHL players at this exact moment. We have 3 players on a line trying to find their way in the dark. To his credit Fraser will do it for awhile and then get overwhelmed. Lander will try for awhile and then be done. This team is sinking him too.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Hendricks hasn't been great at shootouts for a longtime. he had one trick which he used all the time. Its been scouted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad