Pre-Game Talk: Oilers at Canucks. Oct. 11th. Who do you start in net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Buy IPTV. Something like $10 a month get everything on it. Bit of a delay but you get all the games
Oilers games are pretty crappy on IPTV. It's more than just delay. Very frustrating

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I guess I just do not understand this emotional take on player deployment.

Its like there couldnt possibly be other reasons for these decisions...must be because the coach just doesnt like the player.

View attachment 751089

I don’t think Woody’s bias is enough to hurt the team or make bad roster decisions. I’m sure he has plenty valid reasons outside familiarity to make his roster decisions. But there does seem to be a slight bias there, I mean Malone kept finding ice lol. There was an argument to be made for Campbell starting a game in the playoffs and another argument to be made for him to start the season, which can lead to this impression as well.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Going to the game tonight.

The Skinner v Campbell game 1 starter stuff is wildly over thought. This is going to need to be a closely contested platoon system through a long season. Skinner I think was always going to start game 1 on basis of having to step up last season when Campbell melted down physically, mentally, and technically. Woodcroft showed his hand with rolling the rookie during playoffs. Unfortunately Vegas won a tight series preying on Oiler self-mistakes with penalties and own zone goof-ups while winning the even strength battle.

Fresh ice for game 1 and a new season. Skinner may get the start but a seemingly rebuilt Campbell mentally, physically, and technically through training camp work will assert himself in the competition. I'm actually a bit nervous about some sophomore regression with Skinner. But hopefully we see a stable two headed platoon option.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t think Woody’s bias is enough to hurt the team or make bad roster decisions. I’m sure he has plenty valid reasons outside familiarity to make his roster decisions. But there does seem to be a slight bias there, I mean Malone kept finding ice lol. There was an argument to be made for Campbell starting a game in the playoffs and another argument to be made for him to start the season, which can lead to this impression as well.
Woody has stated what his bias is. He stated he gave Skinner ALL of 12 starts in the playoffs because he deferred to Schwartz, who happens to be heavily involved as the goalie coach with Skinner.

Both Woody and Schwartz have more familiarity with Skinner. But that shouldn't be the reason not to start the veteran Campbell.

After such a bizarre usage of goalies in playoffs Woody needs to wake up. Schwartz is gonna say Skinner everytime if asked.

I kept asking people when has it ever occurred that the same goalie was pulled 4 times but got all the playoff starts anyway.

Reactions: brentashton

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Woody has stated what his bias is. He stated he gave Skinner ALL of 12 starts in the playoffs because he deferred to Schwartz, who happens to be heavily involved as the goalie coach with Skinner.

Both Woody and Schwartz have more familiarity with Skinner. But that shouldn't be the reason not to start the veteran Campbell.

After such a bizarre usage of goalies in playoffs Woody needs to wake up. Schwartz is gonna say Skinner everytime if asked.

I kept asking people when has it ever occurred that the same goalie was pulled 4 times but got all the playoff starts anyway.

He deferred to Schwartz?! I never heard this, was on the fence before, but now I’m 100% certain Campbell should have got a game in the playoffs.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pleasantly surprised Campbell appears to be the starter tonight not that I think it matters much other than shows Woody wasn't as full of shit as I thought he was when he said it was an open competition to see who starts tonight.

We will need both goalies to play well so let’s go!
Could another Oilspiracy be put to rest tonight?! Stay tuned. ;)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
How is it a tough choice? Why would you not play Campbell? He was signed to be a starter making starter money and is finally playing like one.

Skinner crapped in playoffs and didn't look any better in preseason.
Skinner looked better than in the Playoffs. Campbell crapped over 40 games and played great in 3-4 games. Sorry but you can't just tell your starting goalie from last season, who helped turn the season around, to not play and be the backup. What kind of message does that send to the player? The guy was #2 for the Calder Trophy and was an All Star.

You guys have already given up on him after the playoffs.

We have 2 starting goalies this year. They're in competition a game at a time. Wouldn't you rather have that then a goalie you ride for a majority of the regular season games and then find out, during playoff time, that he's worn down (kind of like how Skinner was last season)?

Plus we don't know who's starting now

Pleasantly surprised Campbell appears to be the starter tonight not that I think it matters much other than shows Woody wasn't as full of shit as I thought he was when he said it was an open competition to see who starts tonight.

We will need both goalies to play well so let’s go!
Campbell wasn't even in the starters net. Skinner was. Campbell was off the ice first. So your post makes no sense

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Skinner looked better than in the Playoffs. Campbell crapped over 40 games and played great in 3-4 games. Sorry but you can't just tell your starting goalie from last season, who helped turn the season around, to not play and be the backup. What kind of message does that send to the player? The guy was #2 for the Calder Trophy and was an All Star.

We have 2 starting goalies this year. They're in competition a game at a time. Wouldn't you rather have that then a goalie you ride for a majority of the regular season games and then find out, during playoff time, that he's worn down (kind of like how Skinner was last season)?

Campbell wasn't even in the starters net. Skinner was. Campbell was off the ice first. So your post makes no sense

Starting goalie usually leaves the ice first.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Have you ever coached? I have had some community coaching experience and the bias you speak of does happen. Now in my experience it happens because of reliability. I found myself favoring certain players because I knew exactly what I was going to get from that player. Now obviously as a coach of teenagers you are obligated in a lot of instances to rotate the players as evenly as you can lest hear the wrath of parents. Still...my comfort level was a lot higher with certain players because I knew exactly what I was going to get from them.
I think thats likely whats happening with Woody.

Take Campbell for instance...after watching him shit the bed in most of his starts Woody naturally begins losing confidence in the player. Now some fans are going to jump up and down because Campbell has a few good games but from a coaches perspective you now have a player that could give you some good games and some terrible games. Until that player manages to put together a large enough sample size of quality games that lack of confidence in the player is going to be there.
In terms of Vinny...he has limitations in his game but Vinny never tries to do more than he can do and he brings elements to the table that no other bottom pairing dman on the team bring.
He is consistently predictable in that way.
I think that playing Vinny is less a statement on coach favoritism and more a statement on the lack of high quality defenisve depth on the roster.
Its a Holland issue...not a Woody issue IMO.
Same can be said for the goaltending.
Holland signed Campbell to a long term $5M contract...it was a big gamble. I say that because there were precious few indications that Campbell was a legit #1 starting goalie in the NHL.
So Holland thought that paying an unproven Veteran goalie and pairing him with a rookie goalie was a recipe for success. Clearly that wasnt the case.
Now Campbell can bail out Holland this season by turning his game around. Not just for a small sample of games either but by being a solid starter for an entire season.
Smart money would suggest that isnt likely to happen.
I hope that it does happen.
Lastly (even though it would be my preference) Campbell doesnt NEED to start game #1 to turn his season around. He just needs to be consistently good when his name is called.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Have you ever coached? I have had some community coaching experience and the bias you speak of does happen. Now in my experience it happens because of reliability. I found myself favoring certain players because I knew exactly what I was going to get from that player. Now obviously as a coach of teenagers you are obligated in a lot of instances to rotate the players as evenly as you can lest hear the wrath of parents. Still...my comfort level was a lot higher with certain players because I knew exactly what I was going to get from them.
I think thats likely whats happening with Woody.

Take Campbell for instance...after watching him shit the bed in most of his starts Woody naturally begins losing confidence in the player. Now some fans are going to jump up and down because Campbell has a few good games but from a coaches perspective you now have a player that could give you some good games and some terrible games. Until that player manages to put together a large enough sample size of quality games that lack of confidence in the player is going to be there.
In terms of Vinny...he has limitations in his game but Vinny never tries to do more than he can do and he brings elements to the table that no other bottom pairing dman on the team bring.
He is consistently predictable in that way.
I think that playing Vinny is less a statement on coach favoritism and more a statement on the lack of high quality defenisve depth on the roster.
Its a Holland issue...not a Woody issue IMO.
Same can be said for the goaltending.
Holland signed Campbell to a long term $5M contract...it was a big gamble. I say that because there were precious few indications that Campbell was a legit #1 starting goalie in the NHL.
So Holland thought that paying an unproven Veteran goalie and pairing him with a rookie goalie was a recipe for success. Clearly that wasnt the case.
Now Campbell can bail out Holland this season by turning his game around. Not just for a small sample of games either but by being a solid starter for an entire season.
Smart money would suggest that isnt likely to happen.
I hope that it does happen.
Lastly (even though it would be my preference) Campbell doesnt NEED to start game #1 to turn his season around. He just needs to be consistently good when his name is called.
No on coaching but we agree i think on your assessment of why Campbell didn’t see more starts in net and why Vinny sees ice though. I like the element Vinny brings and can see why a lack of trust in Campbell developed. Valid reasons for why a coach would play them. But just saying that bias does exist of course, like take two like players say Malone v. Pederson and Woody might go with familiarity there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This fanbase is going to burn itself out before Halloween. The goalies are what they are. Hopefully Campbell has his head sorted out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No on coaching but we agree i think on your assessment of why Campbell didn’t see more starts in net and why Vinny sees ice though. I like the element Vinny brings and can see why a lack of trust in Campbell developed. Valid reasons for why a coach would play them. But just saying that bias does exist of course, like take two like players say Malone v. Pederson and Woody might go with familiarity there.
Exactly.
I liked Gleason in camp a lot but I have to be honest I have never seen him play before training camp. I mean he didnt blow the doors off but he looked good to me.
Is he a better option than Vinny...I dont know.
I know what Vinnys limitations are and I know exactly what he brings when the real bullets are flying.
I dont know much of anything about Gleason except that he looked good playing in games where most NHL vets play at 75% of their capability.
As much as i would want to give Gleason a shot ahead of Vinny that would be a tough thing to do.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

How long have you followed hockey?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Exactly.
I liked Gleason in camp a lot but I have to be honest I have never seen him play before training camp. I mean he didnt blow the doors off but he looked good to me.
Is he a better option than Vinny...I dont know.
I know what Vinnys limitations are and I know exactly what he brings when the real bullets are flying.
I dont know much of anything about Gleason except that he looked good playing in games where most NHL vets play at 75% of their capability.
As much as i would want to give Gleason a shot ahead of Vinny that would be a tough thing to do.

Gleason looked good. In that he was solid. Nothing spectacular but solid. Personally, I like Vinny and I’m not a hater. He has quite a bit of those these days. But for defenceman, mistakes can be glaring and stick in your memory, so I see where the criticism is coming from. That being said, I still want Vinnys physicality in the lineup and I hope given the chance he can clean up some of those mistakes. He’s old but he’s still new to the League, he should be given some rope to learn from his mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad