Eklund Rumor: Oilers are " Serious" about Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I'm not saying Buffalo would or should do it, but Dahlin plays the right side (despite being LH). You could argue Klefbom would potentially be a better partner vs forcing Dahlin to play the side he's less comfortable playing. Not to mention they are both Swedish and it could ease his transition to North America. Add in the fact that Eichel is a RHS that runs the PP from the left side boards, making two LH shooting D the ideal triggermen from the point (same reason Risto would be an ideal triggerman for McDavid).

Again, not saying Buffalo should do it, but there are reasons to consider it.

Interesting thoughts. The only thing we fear is Pete being the guy trading klefbom. Knowing him it will be klefbom plus something big

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I'm not saying Buffalo would or should do it, but Dahlin plays the right side (despite being LH). You could argue Klefbom would potentially be a better partner vs forcing Dahlin to play the side he's less comfortable playing. Not to mention they are both Swedish and it could ease his transition to North America. Add in the fact that Eichel is a RHS that runs the PP from the left side boards, making two LH shooting D the ideal triggermen from the point (same reason Risto would be an ideal triggerman for McDavid).

I personally believe Ristolainen will become a top10 defenseman in the league in the next few years which is why I find it hard to believe they would trade him. The payout would probably be too high to get him.

But then again, it is Chiarelli that we're speaking of

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Who does the Oil think they will trade? Would have to be Drai +.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Most think that he will play LD once he is playing the smaller rinks against faster competition. It is nice to have that versatility in a dman, though. Bottom line is that RHD are more valuable than LHD, all things being equal. BUF would be crazy to deal Risto, unless something really, really good is coming back.

The poor kid has been playing under Alamo-like conditions for most of his time in BUF. Getting a decent top 4 guy like Scandella helped him a lot. Dahlin should also help eventually, though i think people are underestimating how hard it is to break in as a young Dman in the NHL. BUF needs one more top 4 guy, IMO...sort of a Scandella clone...before they will have a solid NHL D corps. Easier said than done, I know. If KO was playing decently then they could look at moving him for said Dman, but...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I love that this thread was made just because I love watching fans argue things that most people would assume are true just based on common sense but an entire fan base is blind to the truth. Risto>>>>Klefbom should just be an assumed fact until someone tries to pull up obscure stats that show nothing in reality. Watch the game next time they play each other and see who is more impressive. Ask neutral fans if they could take one for free on their team who would they want and the overwhelming majority will say Risto.

Who does the Oil think they will trade? Would have to be Drai +.

This is too far of a correction. Drai is easily the more valuable piece. The + although not a large + would be for buffalo.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love that this thread was made just because I love watching fans argue things that most people would assume are true just based on common sense but an entire fan base is blind to the truth. Risto>>>>Klefbom should just be an assumed fact until someone tries to pull up obscure stats that show nothing in reality. Watch the game next time they play each other and see who is more impressive. Ask neutral fans if they could take one for free on their team who would they want and the overwhelming majority will say Risto.

This is too far of a correction. Drai is easily the more valuable piece. The + although not a large + would be for buffalo.
Reinhart at the very least would be the add, in the unlikely event that BUF decides to have 2 #1C's, with one more(Mittelstadt)knocking on the door. Botterill would deserve to get fired if he made that deal because of team needs.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
To get Buffalo to give up their only quality RHD who's 23 it would have to be something like Klefbom, RNH, and 10OA

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To get Buffalo to give up their only quality RHD who's 23 it would have to be something like Klefbom, RNH, and 10OA

And I thought people were insane when they were saying Klefbom + 10...

Did every Sabre’s trade value triple when they got Dahlin? Drai+? RNH+Klefbom+10? What fresh hell is going on in here?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Name 3 young defenseman who have had to come into the league and be forced into a #1 role right away to the extent that Risto has. He's been playing the minutes you would expect of a elite #1 dman, against top competition, with absolute garbage around him on defense. His first few years he got no sheltering, no easing in, no mentoring from quality NHL vets. Marco Scandella this year is quite possibly the best defenseman he's ever played with at this level. It's a very unique situation which makes it hard to get a real good read on Risto. I think his potential is still huge and I don't think Klefbom is enough to tip the scales for me.

The Sabres have a better CF%, GF% and xGF% with Risto off the ice at 5v5 over the course of his career. Yeah, he's played mostly top-pairing, but his 'off' has also been the worst collection of defensemen on any non-expansion team ever.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you ever find yourself agreeing with Oilers management, you should reconsider your position.
It's almost like when Risto is off the ice, other teams top lines are off the ice. Phenoms aside (Doughty), that shouldn't be the case when you are 20/21 years old.

Reactions: normaliswear

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
And I thought people were insane when they were saying Klefbom + 10...

Did every Sabre’s trade value triple when they got Dahlin? Drai+? RNH+Klefbom+10? What fresh hell is going on in here?
I didn't say the Oilers should do that. Only that the Sabres don't have another RHD on the team or in the pipeline worth anything. So to get them to move that it would have to be overpayment bordering on stupid. And it wouldn't be the first time chiarelli did something stupid to make another team happy.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He's spent most of his career logging harder minutes than "bona fide" 1Ds on other teams do while playing predominantly with partners who don't even belong in the NHL. He finally got to play next to an actual NHL defenseman most of last year (Scandella), and, lo and behold, his advanced stats improved drastically. Also he's established himself as a consistent 40+ point defenseman with a physical edge. And he's a right-handed shot (RHD are always at a premium in the NHL). Adding Dahlin to the mix finally gives Buffalo 3/4 of a respectable top 4. Botterill would be a moron to trade Risto.
I agree with everything you say but he is not handling the hard minutes very well 5v5... That doesnt mean he is a bad player, he is very good, specially on the pp. But it means he isnt good enough to handle those minutes like a guy like Doughty etc. The fact is, Risto struggles defensively against other teams top players... And that is a problem for Buffalo which they need to fix and there are many ways to do it and its not easy.

I think there is a good chance Risto will handle it better in the years going forward as he gets more experience etc and the team becoming better aswell. I dont think Klefbom for Risto is a smart move for Buffalo long term. I do think Klefbom is alot better defensively than Risto right now though.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Maybe/possibly there targeting risto is for the reason other then he is a rhd which we need he is also a young Finnish player who might be able to help out with another young Finnish player we have that has been said to be struggling with language and adjusting in Puljujärvi

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't say the Oilers should do that. Only that the Sabres don't have another RHD on the team or in the pipeline worth anything. So to get them to move that it would have to be overpayment bordering on stupid. And it wouldn't be the first time chiarelli did something stupid to make another team happy.

Well, you moved on past that particular border. Klefbom + 10 is plenty stupid. Adding RNH should get Chia permanently institutionalized.

I still wonder why Edmonton seems to be the only team in history to get the ‘your team sucks and the losing is a cancer so your best players are worth way below market value’ tax slapped on them. Please share with us your ways, Sabre, Hurricane, Coyote and Avalanche fans.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Well, you moved on past that particular border. Klefbom + 10 is plenty stupid. Adding RNH should get Chia permanently institutionalized.

I still wonder why Edmonton seems to be the only team in history to get the ‘your team sucks and the losing is a cancer so your best players are worth way below market value’ tax slapped on them. Please share with us your ways, Sabre, Hurricane, Coyote and Avalanche fans.
Not sure why this is difficult to understand. I think trading Risto without another RHD anywhere in the system would be idiotic. To overcome that would require a similar level of idiocy from Edm. I would doubt highly such a price would be considered. But that's what it would take to be a good idea from the Buffalo perspective.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure why this is difficult to understand. I think trading Risto without another RHD anywhere in the system would be idiotic. To overcome that would require a similar level of idiocy from Edm. I would doubt highly such a price would be considered. But that's what it would take to be a good idea from the Buffalo perspective.

All I can say to that is you vastly underrate Klefbom.

Sure, handedness, whatever, but Klef is a hell of a defenceman and Chia would be an imbecile to add significantly to him for Risto.

At that point I’d become a huge supporter of dealing 10 for Faulk and suffer through him ‘playing defence’ for a couple seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad