Eklund Rumor: Oilers are " Serious" about Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It's a bad enough decision for it to be true.

I'll believe any and all "the Oilers are going to do something stupid" rumours.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't get their obsession with Risto, probably because I'm not an idiot.

Like, in what world does targeting the best defenseman on the only team that's managed to be worse than you make sense. Especially when Klefbom -who's better- is rumoured to be going the other way.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I don't get their obsession with Risto, probably because I'm not an idiot.

Like, in what world does targeting the best defenseman on the only team that's managed to be worse than you make sense. Especially when Klefbom -who's better- is rumoured to be going the other way.
What?

In what universe is Klefbom better?

I am not a fan of either team, but I watch them both frequently. Risto has a poor start to the season and was not great this past year, but Klefbom has periods of abysmal play worse than Risto at his worst. Risto at his best is a pretty damn good Dman

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Am I the only one that views Risto as a top Pairing Defensman? Why is His name coming up a lot recently?

Risto has been compared to Gardiner a lot lately with his poor defensive decision making. Yet he's still a big body, good draft pedigree, and had good offensive production. I probably think like Chiarelli and still see a young player with lot of potential and upside with physicality to his game but not everyone agrees in his value. Regardless Edmonton will 100% overpay for this type of player.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
What?

I am not a fan of either team, but I watch them both frequently. Risto has a poor start to the season and was not great this past year, but Klefbom has periods of abysmal play worse than Risto at his worst. Risto at his best is a pretty damn good Dman
Klefbom also required shoulder surgery. What surgery did Risto have?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What?

Risto is awful defensively and a very good pp quarterback. Risto is plain and simply just bad in his own zone, but he is young, big etc so he has all the tools to become atleast a pretty good defensive player but right now he is actually a horrible defensive player when playing top minutes against hard matchups.

Klefbom is arguably a better twoway defensemen. I still wouldnt trade Risto for Klefbom though if im Buffalo, Edm really need a pp quarterback and i would think they would trade Klefbom for Risto.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Why would Buffalo ever want to trade Ristolainen? They'll have the perfect partner to play with him when they draft Dahlin.
Because he's trash 5v5 and if they could steal Klefbom for Risto their D improves big time

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Eh, he doesn't play top pairing defense, and he doesn't score like a top pairing dman at 5v5. Could be overuse, could be **** team/partner.

He's spent most of his career logging harder minutes than "bona fide" 1Ds on other teams do while playing predominantly with partners who don't even belong in the NHL. He finally got to play next to an actual NHL defenseman most of last year (Scandella), and, lo and behold, his advanced stats improved drastically. Also he's established himself as a consistent 40+ point defenseman with a physical edge. And he's a right-handed shot (RHD are always at a premium in the NHL). Adding Dahlin to the mix finally gives Buffalo 3/4 of a respectable top 4. Botterill would be a moron to trade Risto.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
What?

The Sabres have a better CF%, GF% and xGF% with Risto off the ice at 5v5 over the course of his career. Yeah, he's played mostly top-pairing, but his 'off' has also been the worst collection of defensemen on any non-expansion team ever.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you ever find yourself agreeing with Oilers management, you should reconsider your position.

Last edited:

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
He's spent most of his career logging harder minutes than "bona fide" 1Ds on other teams do while playing predominantly with partners who don't even belong in the NHL. He finally got to play next to an actual NHL defenseman most of last year (Scandella), and, lo and behold, his advanced stats improved drastically. Also he's established himself as a consistent 40+ point defenseman with a physical edge. And he's a right-handed shot (RHD are always at a premium in the NHL). Adding Dahlin to the mix finally gives Buffalo 3/4 of a respectable top 4. Botterill would be a moron to trade Risto.

We don't like facts in here.

Reactions: Habsddicted

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Did improve drastically move his advanced stats up to top pairing comparables?

He's a consistent 40+ point Dman in large part due to his great PP ability. He doesn't score at a high rate 5v5, which is part of being a legit top pairing defender imo.

I don't think Buffalo should trade him either, it makes no sense to trade away a young player when you're rebuilding.

Reactions: normaliswear

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Why would Buffalo ever want to trade Ristolainen? They'll have the perfect partner to play with him when they draft Dahlin.

I'm not saying Buffalo would or should do it, but Dahlin plays the right side (despite being LH). You could argue Klefbom would potentially be a better partner vs forcing Dahlin to play the side he's less comfortable playing. Not to mention they are both Swedish and it could ease his transition to North America. Add in the fact that Eichel is a RHS that runs the PP from the left side boards, making two LH shooting D the ideal triggermen from the point (same reason Risto would be an ideal triggerman for McDavid).

Again, not saying Buffalo should do it, but there are reasons to consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->