Friedman: Oilers and Sharks discussed Erik Karlsson

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
You always start high in negotiations and work your way to a compromise but let's say SJ retains 20-30% (2.3M - 3.4M) plus this also take on Barrie / Yamamoto, that is like 10M in dead cap for two years, plus the retention they already have going on Burns.

I think SJ could be enticed into that position but it would take a ton of picks and prospects to make it happen which is why I said Broberg + Hollway + 1sts

Does the cap work with Edmonton sending that back? I also imagine other teams would put up similar offers or better.

I am sure GM's talk about all kinds of things, we just don't hear about 95% of them.

That’s true also. They prolly spitball all day long while talking about other random things

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If the Sharks take on Campbell and give up Reimer in the deal I could see it happening, assuming Karlsson and his wife are comfortable moving to Edmonton.

2 1sts, Puljujarvi, Barrie, Campbell for Karlsson (18% retained), Reimer

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Im so happy Holland isnt the GM of the wings anymore lol hes itching to cripple to long term future of the oilers with bloated contracts of aging players

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If it was Barrie, Foegele, Puljujarvi plus the prospects and picks to make it work, Karlsson at 80% and Gregor would make the cap work.

Doubt it will or should happen but this is where the numbers shake out.
Depending on the contractual status of the prospects discussed, the Sharks would need to add contracts equal to what Edmonton is sending our way. They're at 50 contracts or it waits until another deal is completed.
If the Sharks take on Campbell and give up Reimer in the deal I could see it happening, assuming Karlsson and his wife are comfortable moving to Edmonton.

2 1sts, Puljujarvi, Barrie, Campbell for Karlsson (18% retained), Reimer
Same issue as above. Sharks are currently at 50 contracts so they will need to send out at least as many as they're acquiring.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

12. I don’t think it ever got to Erik Karlsson, but I do think the Oilers and Sharks had legit conversations about the revitalized defender.

Montreal could take some of the Oilers bad contracts so they can make this trade? We offer take Puljujarvi and Foegle both for first pick in '25 draft? We have 1.7 m in caproom but moving Anderson, Edmunston and Monahan at deadline. If you wanted to move now we could put Gallagher on LTIR.

• Haha
Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Didn't Stauffer hint about this weeks ago? I'm sure we already knew that the Oilers asked about Karlsson this year, and that's where the "3 1st picks is the price" came from, which makes it next to impossible because it's too much for him, and because how would we find 12.5M in cap space?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
WOW!

What an absolute pile of trash for an elite dman.
An ellite dman this year. Not the last few. With a MASSIVE contract. On the wrong side of 30. With lots of term. Very few teams could or would want to take that contract. Especially since he is not great on D. Not a great post by you.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I would like to see the villages mcd and karlsson could burn together but cap space and 18% retention ain't it

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Didn't Stauffer hint about this weeks ago? I'm sure we already knew that the Oilers asked about Karlsson this year, and that's where the "3 1st picks is the price" came from, which makes it next to impossible because it's too much for him, and because how would we find 12.5M in cap space?
This entire thing stems from Bob Stauffer throwing that out there about what was allegedly discussed in early December. I don't know why it's being taken at face value.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Im so happy Holland isnt the GM of the wings anymore lol hes itching to cripple to long term future of the oilers with bloated contracts of aging players
Not sure what contracts you're talking about. RNH and Kane alone are a +3-4M AAV surplus. Kostin and Janmark have been big additions this year too.

I'm not a huge Holland fan but Detroit looks like they might need another 3 years of rebuild after doing that for the past 6 years.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Not sure what contracts you're talking about. RNH and Kane alone are a +3-4M AAV surplus. Kostin and Janmark have been big additions this year too.

I'm not a huge Holland fan but Detroit looks like they might need another 3 years of rebuild after doing that for the past 6 years.
was talking about all the awful contracts he gave the wings... relax lol. Abdelkader, Weiss, Nielsen, Dekeyser... just awful

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This entire thing stems from Bob Stauffer throwing that out there about what was allegedly discussed in early December. I don't know why it's being taken at face value.
Stauffer works for the Oilers. He has connections in the office. He isn't always right, sometimes he just needs something to talk about, but I believe that people in the Oilers office feed him things to talk about every now and then too. Back in the day he was talking about trading Hall for weeks before it actually happened, probably intentionally to condition the fans to not lose their minds when it did happen.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Karl and McDavid would crack top 10 most dominant duos in NHL history at EK’s current level

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Sharks would have to take Barrie and a couple of bad contracts (Pulju, Foegele) to make it work. Plus retain on Karlsson. Long-shot, don't see it working.

It would be interesting to see how many points Karlsson would rack up feeding McDrai & Co. and with Nurse eating the toughest defending minutes. He would look like a modern-day Paul Coffey
I think EK plays the best when he’s the man. Don’t think he’d do as good on a loaded team

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I think EK plays the best when he’s the man. Don’t think he’d do as good on a loaded team
I think this is partly a misconception cause when Sharks were still good he was far from 100%. He played his best hockey on fairly strong Sens teams with Spezza, Alfie and Gonchar 2011-2013 and with Stone, Brassard, Ryan in 2017. A possession driven player like Karlsson ideally plays with other good possession players, which makes his current performance on a semi AHL level Sharks team even more remarkable, so I think he’d be fantastic with McDrai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad