Friedman: Oilers and Sharks discussed Erik Karlsson

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The Sharks would have to take Barrie and a couple of bad contracts (Pulju, Foegele) to make it work. Plus retain on Karlsson. Long-shot, don't see it working.

It would be interesting to see how many points Karlsson would rack up feeding McDrai & Co. and with Nurse eating the toughest defending minutes. He would look like a modern-day Paul Coffey
If the Sharks are retaining AND taking on a bunch of anchor contracts with a couple years on them I assume Edmonton would have to pay an astronomical price, like Broberg, Holloway and a couple 1st

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think it makes sense. There isn't one player the Oilers can add, or even two that fixes their defense. Go all in with offense only and get the best puck mover you can. Oilers would be beating team 7-5 but the fact is a lot of teams aren't built to compete that way so they would win a lot of games.

Come playoffs it is all luck. If they draw teams like the Flames they would roll them over but teams who can run and gun with them it becomes more of a coin flip. With karlsson though... wow

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
I think having Karlsson and McDavid on the same team would be a "too many cooks" type of situation. Both like to have the puck on their stick 90% of the time they're on the ice. I think there are better fits for Karlsson, although I doubt he gets moved with his cap hit.

Reactions: BudBundy

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
If the Sharks are retaining AND taking on a bunch of anchor contracts with a couple years on them I assume Edmonton would have to pay an astronomical price, like Broberg, Holloway and a couple 1st

I don’t see how Edmonton would even be able to afford Karlsson. Sharks wanted 3 first round picks and only 18% retained.

To get them to take 50% of it, and bad contracts back just to make the cap work doesn’t seem logical at all. I don’t know how they have the money let alone the assets to please San Jose

That contract is just too much to take on even if we were getting him for free.

That’s what I’m saying. I don’t see how Edmonton pulls off a trade like this. Unless a third team jumps in. And they also have to be paid to help out.

Don’t see assets and money to get Karlsson

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Imagine EDM trading no first rounds picks the entire McDavid era until they trade for Erik Karlsson

In 2023 LMFAO

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cool. Keep EK and that awful contract all to yourselves.
Someone will pay the Sharks assets for Karlsson. Don't you worry about it. It just seems like pointless exaggeration to believe they'd have to pay to get rid of him. Like it pretty much denies all reality.

Reactions: Gecklund

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don’t see how Edmonton would even be able to afford Karlsson. Sharks wanted 3 first round picks and only 18% retained.

To get them to take 50% of it, and bad contracts back just to make the cap work doesn’t seem logical at all. I don’t know how they have the money let alone the assets to please San Jose

That’s what I’m saying. I don’t see how Edmonton pulls off a trade like this. Unless a third team jumps in. And they also have to be paid to help out.

Don’t see assets and money to get Karlsson
You always start high in negotiations and work your way to a compromise but let's say SJ retains 20-30% (2.3M - 3.4M) plus this also take on Barrie / Yamamoto, that is like 10M in dead cap for two years, plus the retention they already have going on Burns.

I think SJ could be enticed into that position but it would take a ton of picks and prospects to make it happen which is why I said Broberg + Hollway + 1sts

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So another player that's all offence and gives zero shits about actually defending ? Edmonton shouldn't touch this, they don't need a PMD or offensive D-man. They need a quality D-man to shut down the opposing teams top guys and a guy who can retrieve the puck. They should be looking at a guy like Ekholm or Parayko if he's available.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You always start high in negotiations and work your way to a compromise but let's say SJ retains 20-30% (2.3M - 3.4M) plus this also take on Barrie / Yamamoto, that is like 10M in dead cap for two years, plus the retention they already have going on Burns.

I think SJ could be enticed into that position but it would take a ton of picks and prospects to make it happen which is why I said Broberg + Hollway + 1sts
I don't think it'll require that much to get the Sharks to move Karlsson and take those cap dumps while retaining to that degree. I think they'll come down to something like two of those future assets with the cap dumps and the roughly 2 mil retention. Barrie can probably be flipped for an additional asset at next year's deadline that will cover the value gap.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If it was Barrie, Foegele, Puljujarvi plus the prospects and picks to make it work, Karlsson at 80% and Gregor would make the cap work.

Doubt it will or should happen but this is where the numbers shake out.

Attachments

• ek.jpg
    ek.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad