LeBrun: Oilers and Sens interested in Dumba

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Ottawas name is included because the league knows we are looking for a top 4 D. This drives up the price for the Oilers.

Sens need a player like Spurgeon more than Dumba, and I dont see Minny trading their Captain anytime soon.
Spurgeon has a NMC, and has been playing very well. Zero chance he gets traded. Some Wild fans seem to take him for granted.... i don't.

Dumba is better than many on here are saying. Calling him a weak #4 is vastly overestimating the quality of defenders in the league. Dumba can be frustrating, and will have you pull your hair out at times, but he has excellent skating, a good shot, is strong for an average sized(not small) guy, and can handle the puck well. Can also handle a heavy workload. His speed, aggression, and physicality allows him to get to pucks and contest for them successfully, where other Dmen wouldn't even get there. That has value, surely?

When I read evals here on HFB, they either gush about a player, or consign him to the trash bin, and ignore the middle, which is where the vast majority of NHL players belong. Dumba is in that group, slightly towards the upper end. He's an above average RHD- a #3, IMO. That's the position he fills on the Wild, who are an above average, but not great team. On a team with an elite D, he'd be a #4. On a team with a bad D, either a #2, or even a #1.

Poster who say he is a weak #4 are saying that there are over 115 Dmen that they would take over him. I don't agree with that, at all.

Now, if you want to have a discussion as to whether he is worth his 6M/yr salary, I can listen, and probably agree, but in the context of trade value as a rental TDL, i don't see that being important.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Ottawa plays, for lack of better words, a structurally dumb way of hockey. They have little to no structure defensively & most of their players are often erratic and make incredibly questionable decisions.

With respect to Dumba, who I'm sure could play a fantastic role for a team like Boston or a team full of high IQ players, would be awful here in Ottawa and would fit in perfectly with the rest of guys who make very dumb decisions that make you want to pull your hair out.

Trading assets + signing him to an extension would probably end in a nightmare situation for the Ottawa

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Hard to envision the Wild moving Dumba prior to the deadline as they buy time for Faber’s season to end regardless of their playoff position.

Also questionable if they move Dumba at all if they are in position to make a run and are contemplating a significant add. He’s also a pretty large impact in the room and wears a letter.

He’s better than most known options available at defense and lesser players have moved for surprising asset(s) so the Wild may just decide to take advantage and take the best offer they can get and let the chips fall where they may. Guerin shouldn’t be pigeon holing himself into a return that is useful this year but I’m not certain he will actually follow that logic if he moves Dumba.
I think if they don't/can't bring him back, you have to consider a move because you don't want to lose him for nothing, but I also think the offer has to be really good and enticing, because the West feels absolutely wide open this year. Vegas is really good, but I'm not 100% sold on them in the playoffs, so I think the Wild have a good a chance at final four as anyone else in the West besides them more or less. So might easily be an "own rental" situation

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Minnesota isn't taking on Barrie. Poo isn't getting dumba. MIN has no bad salary
It wouldn't be bad salary having to come back, it would need to be a piece that could contribute. Barrie is better and has more value than Dumba. Pulujarvi's value is nearly nil at his production vs cap hit, but it is not negative as his contract is up at the end of the year.

I don't think Edmonton has interest in moving Barrie. Barrie isn't the issue.

Reactions: Homesick

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
He's not even a replacement for Barrie. Edmonton needs Chychrun or an equivalent defensive guy to play with Nurse. Has beens and bottom 5/6 guys aren't helping the bleeding

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's not even a replacement for Barrie. Edmonton needs Chychrun or an equivalent defensive guy to play with Nurse. Has beens and bottom 5/6 guys aren't helping the bleeding
We're better off playing our rookies (Broberg, Nemo, even Desharnais) than making trades for more 4/5/6 guys. Any trades we make for defensemen need to be for a #2 or #3 guy. Preferably one of each, so we can have a guy to help Nurse, and a guy to anchor our 2nd LD pair.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Barrie is a cap dump. Nobody wants him unless you give up an asset for someone to take him.

Reactions: Nowotny

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
It wouldn't be bad salary having to come back, it would need to be a piece that could contribute. Barrie is better and has more value than Dumba. Pulujarvi's value is nearly nil at his production vs cap hit, but it is not negative as his contract is up at the end of the year.

I don't think Edmonton has interest in moving Barrie. Barrie isn't the issueHe doesn't have more value than Dumba. MIN is stacked with d and in cap hell. Barry wouldn't play in MIN, facts. They aren't taking on any team bad contract and cap dump. Dumba, especially retail gets a 1st. Minnesota will just keep him and let him walk after playoff. Jesse has zero spot on Minnesota. So no , Minnesota wouldn't be interested .

Thanks for your ill informed contribution 

He's miles better than Dumba this year at both ends of the ice, cheaper, and more durable

Try again. Dumba is a free agent. Barry isn't. MIN has faber and lambos along with numerous top d prospects coming in. Faber will be playing with Minnesota before year end

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Senators i absolutely get. They're as desperate for RHD as Vancouver. The Oilers though...what on earth are they gonna do with another RHD that needs babysitting? Or frankly...another RHD altogether?

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Oil dont want Dumba. Lebrun just throws the Oil into any rumor.

Barrie and Bouchard are both better options. Oil need a big, mean, shutdown dman to play with Nurse.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Thanks for your ill informed contribution 😂
He's miles better than Dumba this year at both ends of the ice, cheaper, and more durable
I just want to start this response out with how annoying it is when people call out others for being "ill informed" and then they turn right around say something ill informed as well.

Dumba plays on the shutdown pair and does a pretty good job at that (1.88 GA/60). That's 29th among defenders in the NHL with at least 200 minutes TOI. Would you guys like me to tell you where Barrie sits on that list?

Minnesota hasn't deployed Dumba in an offensive role for almost four years now. Dumba is on pace for 22 points. Brodin is on pace for 12 points. Their job isn't to score. Despite both of their point totals, both have a GF% of 52% or higher. When Dumba was scoring 10+ per year and 40-50 points, he had top PP time and was shooting more while playing a 2nd pair role.

The Senators i absolutely get. They're as desperate for RHD as Vancouver. The Oilers though...what on earth are they gonna do with another RHD that needs babysitting? Or frankly...another RHD altogether?
Dumba isn't that anymore.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What is he exactly though? At this point?

It's a great question because he's not great at anything but he's also not awful at anything. I don't have the stats to say he's a low-event #4 but that's what he feels like. Doesn't stand out good or bad most times. Just logs a ton of minutes against some good competition in an entirely "average" way.

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
In all honesty I don’t watch many sens games but would dumba be interested in going to the sens?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A guy who is deployed in a shutdown role. It's not like his shooting % is drastically different than his younger years. He's just not in that 2nd/3rd pairing and top PP scoring role anymore.

It's a great question because he's not great at anything but he's also not awful at anything. I don't have the stats to say he's a low-event #4 but that's what he feels like. Doesn't stand out good or bad most times. Just logs a ton of minutes against some good competition in an entirely "average" way.

So, given his partner...he's...Tyler Myers. With a shorter neck?

He's just a kind of unpredictable #4D...who isn't amazing offensively either. Randomly physical, other times invisible.

If you're a serious contender...Dumba (or Myers) is your #5D. Neither is paid like that.

I just don't see the Utility for the Oilers. Bouchard/Ceci/Barrie...that's full up on kinda spotty RHD.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

He's just a kind of unpredictable #4D...who isn't amazing offensively either. Randomly physical, other times invisible.

If you're a serious contender...Dumba (or Myers) is your #5D. Neither is paid like that.

I just don't see the Utility for the Oilers. Bouchard/Ceci/Barrie...that's full up on kinda spotty RHD.

He's better than a #5. I mean if he's your #5 you probably have the best D corps in the league. He's not a top pairing defenseman though. I would say he's an average #4 on a good team. He doesn't anchor the middle pairing but he can certainly play there. He still produces points in the middle pairing range at even strength.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Myers is statistically worse than Dumba in so many categories.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
as much as Guerin talks about the team cohesion and making trades keeping in mind the fit of the player it seems very unlikely they'd trade Dumba while we were looking to make the playoffs.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
During a tv segment in the 1st intermission moment’s ago, Bruce Garrioch (reporter in Ottawa) strongly hinting at the Sens having legitimite interest in Dumba and that Dorion was recently in person to specifically scout Dumba. The motivation for the Wild is to dump salary so they can bring in a better D like Chycrun.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Ivread oilers and ottawa are interreted in dumb - then the space was to short for more. My head filled in with dumb deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad