LeBrun: Oilers and Sens interested in Dumba

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

My colleague from TSN, Darren Dreger, reported during our Insider Trading segment Tuesday evening that the Senators and Oilers have shown some interest in pending unrestricted free agent defenseman Matt Dumba. I think that’s another example of the Oil checking in on what’s out there.

The Athletic’s Michael Russo has noted a few times that while the Wild aren’t shopping Dumba because they’re in a playoff spot, he could see the blueliner dealt as part of a hockey deal that helps the team this season.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
You seem to post more about the Oilers and their moves/rumours than our Oilers board does.

At what point can we comfortably call you a closet Oilers fan?

Re: Dumba interest for Oilers... Yeah they're interested in anyone who can play top 4 whatsoever. Not sure what we can do to make a deal work that makes sense for us both (i.e. Dumba for win-now pieces in return)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He’s better than most think, but the issue is his game appears really shaky at times and it drives people crazy. I hope Guerin moves him for a scoring forward or other assets because Faber should be able to step into that spot across from Brodin. But Minnesota is in playoff spot and it’s hard to imagine them trading a capable Top 4 RHD at the deadline, even if most feel Faber is NHL ready,

Holloway from Edmonton makes most sense IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Homesick

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Hard to envision the Wild moving Dumba prior to the deadline as they buy time for Faber’s season to end regardless of their playoff position.

Also questionable if they move Dumba at all if they are in position to make a run and are contemplating a significant add. He’s also a pretty large impact in the room and wears a letter.

He’s better than most known options available at defense and lesser players have moved for surprising asset(s) so the Wild may just decide to take advantage and take the best offer they can get and let the chips fall where they may. Guerin shouldn’t be pigeon holing himself into a return that is useful this year but I’m not certain he will actually follow that logic if he moves Dumba.

Reactions: 57special

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Yamamoto for Dumba with Poolparty thrown in as cap filler?

I'm ok with trading Dumba but these two teams don't seem like great fits. Ottawa doesn't really have any forwards that can help our team and Edmonton has less cap space than we do.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Does it though? I’m pretty sure oil fans have said he’s been struggling but he’s still one of their better young trade pieces. I’d think Halloway would move for a player with term, not a ufa rental.

I can see a team maybe trading a ufa forward for Dumb, or picks but one of their top forward prospects? I don’t think so but it is Holland so who knows.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You seem to post more about the Oilers and their moves/rumours than our Oilers board does.

Re: Dumba interest for Oilers... Yeah they're interested in anyone who can play top 4 whatsoever. Not sure what we can do to make a deal work that makes sense for us both (i.e. Dumba for win-now pieces in return)

I've been watching a lot of Oilers this season for sure. So I guess I am inclined to post about the teams I am most informed on. In this case though I was just reading the article and didn't remember reading this rumor but the others I did

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
Yamamoto for Dumba with Poolparty thrown in as cap filler?

I'm ok with trading Dumba but these two teams don't seem like great fits. Ottawa doesn't really have any forwards that can help our team and Edmonton has less cap space than we do.
Oilers would likely do that, but I doubt the Wild do

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He’s better than most think, but the issue is his game appears really shaky at times and it drives people crazy. I hope Guerin moves him for a scoring forward or other assets because Faber should be able to step into that spot across from Brodin. But Minnesota is in playoff spot and it’s hard to imagine them trading a capable Top 4 RHD at the deadline, even if most feel Faber is NHL ready,

Holloway doesn't make sense for us.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Makes zero sense but hey everyone has a dream.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

To be fair, their current situation makes them one of the more interesting deadline teams. I assume they’re going to come up a lot over the next two months.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON

Leafs will trade you Rielly! lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RHD don’t come cheap and Pulji, Yamamoto seems light for a return.

What is Matt Dumba these days anyway? Dude is an offensive D that's on pace for a mediocre 22 points, hasn't legit topped 30 points in a season in like 4+ years. Never really has been a shut down D. He clearly has never been the same since his injury fighting Tkachuk.

Damaged goods who can't defend, like I'm not really seeing the point for Edmonton, Barrie is on pace for 3x more points than Dumba and is a RHD too, I mean I guess that means he's worth the moon?

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Leafs will trade you Rielly! lol
Probably be your best defenseman .. lol

What is Matt Dumba these days anyway? Dude is an offensive D that's on pace for a mediocre 22 points, hasn't legit topped 30 points in a season in like 4+ years. Never really has been a shut down D. He clearly has never been the same since his injury fighting Tkachuk.

Damaged goods who can't defend, like I'm not really seeing the point for Edmonton, Barrie is on pace for 3x more points than Dumba and is a RHD, I mean I guess that means he's worth the moon?
Edmonton is known for making dumb pick ups..... jack campbell... 5x5 LOL!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Probably be your best defenseman .. lol

Edmonton is known for making dumb pick ups..... jack campbell... 5x5 LOL!

I think there is a decent goalie there in Campbell, he just needs to get out of his own way, but for Dumba, where does he even play ...

Ceci
Barrie
Bouchard

Are already on the right side and I don't think he's an upgrade on any of those players in any real way. Barrie is actually having a solid season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Doesn't really make sense for any of the teams. Maybe Ottawa if they think they could get it done tomorrow and that Dumba would turn their season around.

Don't see why Edmonton would be after another high event RHD. Don't see why Minnesota would want to trade him while in the midst of a playoff race unless they're sure they can't re-sign him. I don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad