LeBrun: Oilers and Sens interested in Dumba

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What is Matt Dumba these days anyway? Dude is an offensive D that's on pace for a mediocre 22 points, hasn't legit topped 30 points in a season in like 4+ years. Never really has been a shut down D. He clearly has never been the same since his injury fighting Tkachuk.

Damaged goods who can't defend, like I'm not really seeing the point for Edmonton, Barrie is on pace for 3x more points than Dumba and is a RHD too, I mean I guess that means he's worth the moon?

Yeah he's a very medicore top4 dman. I don't see his value being hight at all, maybe a 3rd round pick without any retention.

Wild are a mid team at best, even if they make the playoffs, they aren't going to do anything other than get bounced in the 1st round or 2nd round at best and Matt Dumba is not going to make any difference there. So I understand the WIld trying to trade him.

I wouldn't want him on my team though

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Makes zero sense for Senators.

They need another RD defensive defenseman. The team has plenty of offensive firepower.

The team is defensively challenged, why would they bring in Dumba? Makes as much sense as the Klingberg rumours in the summer.

Reactions: bert

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yamamoto for Dumba with Poolparty thrown in as cap filler?

I'm ok with trading Dumba but these two teams don't seem like great fits. Ottawa doesn't really have any forwards that can help our team and Edmonton has less cap space than we do.
That's a terrible offer.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Dumba’s defensive play and coverage are actually really good without the puck, he’s 3rd on the Wild to Brodin and Spurgeon there but would likely be the top coverage guy for the Oilers. D zone coverage and playing the rush are where all of his improvement over the past five years has been, but he still makes boneheaded turnovers from doing too much in the neutral zone and that is where he gets his adventure reputation. He has been shooting more effectively recently, the past two seasons though his shot has been brutally underwhelming with bad accuracy, he is no longer a shin breaking and goalie beating threat with his slap shot, and has relied more on his wrist shot and pinching for offense. He does pinch well, and doesn’t cheat much there, but it helps that the Wild forwards are all defensively responsible, OTT and EDM don’t play that same way.

His game has definitely transformed over the years, by all accounts he works his butt off and is loved in the locker room and a dedicated contributor to his community. He will definitely be missed, but it’s hard to see a way that he makes it to next season on the Wild.

This deal likely happens near the deadline, otherwise the Wild will need a depth RD in return or on the market, Faber won’t be available until the end of season and the RHD depth is all either unavailable, or still developing. Relying solely on Spurgeon, who gets injured every year, and a rookie in Addison to be healthy going into the playoffs is obviously not ideal.

Reactions: byrath

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Dumba is a UFA end of the year. Someone will take a swing at him for sure. Coyotes, Anaheim, Sabres has money this year if the Wild need cap space at the deadline.

Gotta get closer to the deadline and see what the Wild want to do if they are in playoff contention, and want to add pieces.

Wild is in a very interesting spot. They aren’t that bad if they want to go for it

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doesn't really make sense for any of the teams. Maybe Ottawa if they think they could get it done tomorrow and that Dumba would turn their season around.

Don't see why Edmonton would be after another high event RHD. Don't see why Minnesota would want to trade him while in the midst of a playoff race unless they're sure they can't re-sign him. I don't get it.
This was my first thought for Edmonton as well. How does Dumba help fix our big issue at all? We're missing a 2LD who can play big minutes and tough scenarios without being exposed. Dumba is a RD, and is very much an offensive defenseman, like 2 of our other 3 RD.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Yamamoto for Dumba with Poolparty thrown in as cap filler?

I'm ok with trading Dumba but these two teams don't seem like great fits. Ottawa doesn't really have any forwards that can help our team and Edmonton has less cap space than we do.
I’d 1700% do that trade. I think Dumba has more value that that though!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd think if Guerin is trying to get a "hockey deal" with the Oilers, McLeod is about the best I would hope for. And Edmonton may not like that, because McLeod still has team control and a little bit of room to improve. But Puljujarvi and Yamamoto do nothing for the Wild, and pieces like Holloway are non-starters from the Oilers end. I don't see a good fit here in terms of a player swap that helps both rosters, so Guerin would either have to settle for a futures deal, or keep Dumba.

And I think the same can be said for Ottawa too.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He’s better than most think, but the issue is his game appears really shaky at times and it drives people crazy. I hope Guerin moves him for a scoring forward or other assets because Faber should be able to step into that spot across from Brodin. But Minnesota is in playoff spot and it’s hard to imagine them trading a capable Top 4 RHD at the deadline, even if most feel Faber is NHL ready,

Holloway from Edmonton makes most sense IMO.
More like Holloway, Oilers 1st and Guerin will have to accept one piece of garbage in the likes of Puij or Yama.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99 and Groo

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
3rd Round Pick (Conditional 2nd if Edmonton advances) + Yamamoto for Dumba + Reaves

and then trade a 4th for Schenn

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Does it though? I’m pretty sure oil fans have said he’s been struggling but he’s still one of their better young trade pieces. I’d think Halloway would move for a player with term, not a ufa rental.

I can see a team maybe trading a ufa forward for Dumb, or picks but one of their top forward prospects? I don’t think so but it is Holland so who knows.
There's zero chance Holloway is moved for a rental. He's going to be a good hockey player. He's struggled this year for sure, but he also hasn't been given much opportunity. His play has been better than his numbers show because of lack of opportunity.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
Sens need Defensive D ? who decide :d.. i dont think so.

we need one good right hand D ( or who can play right side ) , all around +. can shoot

ekholm

chychrun

dumba..

+ seth jones and EK with retain both : :D.

all are good option.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I expect and have already read hot takes from the other two fanbases. Didn't expect it from a Wild fan.

Barely a 3rd liner? Wow.
It's not a hot take. The numbers back it up and the game against the Rangers he was awful.

FmJ5khEaEAUbDcT

FmJ5khCacAERZ4R

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think Ottawas name is included because the league knows we are looking for a top 4 D. This drives up the price for the Oilers.

Sens need a player like Spurgeon more than Dumba, and I dont see Minny trading their Captain anytime soon.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

They need another RD defensive defenseman. The team has plenty of offensive firepower.

The team is defensively challenged, why would they bring in Dumba? Makes as much sense as the Klingberg rumours in the summer.
Our D is really bad at producing and creating offence besides Chabot, but Dumba doesn't move the needle much on that front either.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

He's not really an offensive dman. He's often injured and hasn't broke 30 points in a while. He's projected to finally play a full season and will just get over 20 points this season.

Ottawa sucks and shouldn't make any moves unless it's for a young player, or a player that has term and they don't have to give away their 1st.

Ottawa should stay away from Dumba until the off season maybe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad