Proposal: Oilers and Pens

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If that's the cost for Guentzel I'm not interested personally.

I'd prefer to make depth additions to the lineup instead of blowing every asset for a big gun rental. The team has enough firepower.

Holland will be attempting to extend Draisaitl before next season starts or else he's entering it as a rental. It's going to hurt the Oilers leverage if they don't make a cup run because they were stingy about moving assets and let the Avs or Knights get Guentzal. This trade deadline is going to be a big pivot point for the Oilers future.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I sure hope someone would have double the points playing with Huberdeau and Bennett instead of Derek Ryan and Connor Brown haha.
So Tippett was good enough to be slotted next to Huberdeau and Bennett in the top 6 but Holloway can't muster a 3C slot ahead of McLeod? Or a top 6 wing position that was recently taken by 70yo Corey Perry? Oh my, YES, by all means THAT should be the young player the Penguins target in exchange for their first line left wing.

In the mean time, how about Pens 1st + Poulin + Smith + 3rd for Draisaitl?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So Tippett was good enough to be slotted next to Huberdeau and Bennett in the top 6 but Holloway can't muster a 3C slot ahead of McLeod? Or a top 6 wing position that was recently taken by 70yo Corey Perry? Oh my, YES, by all means THAT should be the young player the Penguins target in exchange for their first line left wing.

Tippett was so good that the Panthers gave up one of the most exorbitant deadline packages in recent history to directly replace him haha.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Tippett was so good that the Panthers gave up one of the most exorbitant deadline packages in recent history to directly replace him haha.
Not that uncommon, especially in recent history.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. Tippett was a better player at the time of the trade than Holloway and he's turned into a great player for the Flyers. Holloway has meager numbers in his last three professional seasons in the NHL and AHL.

Again, he's certainly not a centerpiece in this trade. He's slightly above a throw-in / lottery ticket. The return would be focused on the draft picks coming back but again, it's late picks so...it's tough to see how another team that also wants him couldn't beat it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not that uncommon, especially in recent history.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. Tippett was a better player at the time of the trade than Holloway and he's turned into a great player for the Flyers. Holloway has meager numbers in his last three professional seasons in the NHL and AHL.

Again, he's certainly not a centerpiece in this trade. He's slightly above a throw-in / lottery ticket. The return would be focused on the draft picks coming back but again, it's late picks so...it's tough to see how another team that also wants him couldn't beat it.
Glad to see you can read a stat line. Its okay to admit you don't know about a player.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Easy pass for me. If I’m moving out these assets I want a guy with some term on his deal.

I’d target Buch out of St Louis.

If he's so good, then keep him. I also checked the Oilers forum. Not a ton of praise for him.

He's a nice 4C though. Keep him.

You must not be checking that hard. I don’t know many if any that would move Holloway in a deal over adding another 1st rounder.

The thing we can agree on is this deal isn’t happening. You guys don’t have to accept a package built around Holloway and we won’t offer it.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If he's so good, then keep him. I also checked the Oilers forum. Not a ton of praise for him.

He's a nice 4C though. Keep him.
We want to keep him. We aren't the ones proposing that he be included in these packages. Not often anyway. He's a nice 4C who hasn't looked out of place as a 3C when given the chance.

I said this in another discussion (or maybe it was this one, earlier). Everything about Holloway's game is coming along nicely, except for the numbers. Is he going to be a superstar? No, I don't think so, and I don't think he was ever projected to be one. But as long as he can start producing, he will be a good middle six forward in the future. I understand if other teams have trepidation over him being included as a key piece in a deal, as the scoring is often what is the difference between being a star AHL'er and a bottom six NHL'er, but when you watch him play, there are certainly parts of his game that shows he has a future as a good complimentary player in the NHL.

And for the record, I don't think anyone on the Oilers forum is down on Holloway. I certainly haven't seen it.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You don’t have to get into a player evaluation discussion with guys like Holloway and Broberg. A prospect can lose trade value by virtue of not developing fast enough.

Edmonton’s asset pool is no different than other contenders. And that’s okay. It’s not necessarily preventative in making deals. Hall (to Arizona) is a Guentzel comp, but there’s no guarantee a bubble team will be aggressive and provide that value.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Holland will be attempting to extend Draisaitl before next season starts or else he's entering it as a rental. It's going to hurt the Oilers leverage if they don't make a cup run because they were stingy about moving assets and let the Avs or Knights get Guentzal. This trade deadline is going to be a big pivot point for the Oilers future.

I don't really see it.

Oilers are a good team with few glaring holes in the lineup but have extremely limited cap room and not a ton of assets in the bank to spend.

This isn't like last year where if Holland didn't find a defenceman it was dereliction of duty. The team can improve just as much at the deadline by adding depth pieces than by dumping assets to try to force in a big rental contract.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Draisaitl >>>>>> Guentzel. Better player, better producer, more valuable positionally, another year on his deal. Teams also in different places.

And Guentzel is a hell of a player.

Reactions: Homesick

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Pass on this deal, especially with Guentzel hurt right now. There's always a risk of players getting hurt after a trade but I wouldn't trade for one already hurt and will take more time to get back up to 100%.

The Oilers could pick up Tarasenko for far less and still have assets to grab Tanev. Addressing two major needs

Okanagan

Jan 7, 2019
It is my understanding that Holland has NOT ONCE in his 27 year career as a GM, given up a 1st round pick for a rental. I don't see that changing this year. He will look for a player with term, just as he did last year with Ekholm.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The risk with Guentzel is hes been stapled to Crosby for most of his career and there's a risk he won't produce when he leaves Pittsburgh. You really don't know if hes a product of Sid or not.

Now seeing as the best player in the world wears an Oilers jersey, it's a risk worth taking for them.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The risk with Guentzel is hes been stapled to Crosby for most of his career and there's a risk he won't produce when he leaves Pittsburgh. You really don't know if hes a product of Sid or not.

Now seeing as the best player in the world wears an Oilers jersey, it's a risk worth taking for them.
The RNH-McDavid-Hyman line has been an absolute wagon all year long

As far as needs go, we need a triggerman for Draisaitl 5v5 a lot more than someone to pair with McDavid.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The RNH-McDavid-Hyman line has been an absolute wagon all year long

As far as needs go, we need a triggerman for Draisaitl 5v5 a lot more than someone to pair with McDavid.
This. A shooter for the Draisaitl line would be the biggest add for the Oilers. A guy to get the puck to the net, so Kane can disrupt from in tight and bang in rebounds and whatnot.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

He'd be playing with McDavid or Draisaitl, no? So...?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A first is fine. A first plus is fine. Multiple firsts is fine for a guy we'd get a couple runs with (Like, say, Claude Giroux)

Two firsts equivalent plus a second that was looking pretty damn good before a shoulder injury de-railed him plus a third for a couple UFA's... even if the money did work, we'd better be damned sure that the resulting team could threaten for a Cup because the cupboard would be pretty freakin' empty after that.
I think you're valuing firsts too highly. Assuming the trade helps the Oilers reach or surpass what they did last year, that first is going to be near the 30 range. People on HF seem to act like anytime a first is mentioned that you're basically giving up a top 10 pick.

What's Holloway's realistic upside? Some kind of tweener (anywhere between a 2nd and 3rd liner)? Again, it's not like he's projected to be the next Draisaitl or something. He's probably more likely to be nearer a less psychotic Tom Wilson at best or a Jordan Greenway more probably.

IMO, that's not *that* high a price to pay to land one of the best playoff performers of the past 7 or 8 years and a legit high end scorer who likely can play equally well with either McDavid or Draisaitl. Especially since you sort of want to try to win NOW rather than hope you can re-sign all of McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard while keeping the salaries of their depth scorers (RNH, Kane, Hyman) without having to move depth out.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

he played better when teamed with geno

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I appreciate penguins fans trying to ask for the best possible return for Guentzel. I think Guentzel fits with the Oilers but it's not like we need a first line LW as our top and only priority. Ideally the Oilers would get a RW over a LW and find someone with term instead of a rental. We don't need an elite goal scorer, we just need someone that's better than Warren Foegele.

Unfortunately the Oilers have a limited number of assets with multiple holes still to fill. The Oilers still need cheap guys on ELCs that can contribute. Our bottom six needs help as its too small. Adding help to our top 6 shouldn't come at the expense of making our bottom 6 worse.

If the price comes down a little I think Guentzel makes sense but at two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd it makes more sense to add someone like Buchnevich instead. Or go out and get Eberle/Tarasenko + Tanev/Walker.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00