Proposal: Oilers and Pens

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Look I'm a fan of neither team yet I feel that there is a perfect fit between both teams.

Penguins, are currently on the outside looking in, and could really us a shift rebuild their prospect pool. They mindswell sell a few pieces, and retool for next year. Conversely, Oilers with Mcdavid and Draisaitl should be swinging for the fences and filling gaps. Oilers could use another top scoring threat, and LW as well as some goaltending insurance.

Proposal

1708542317381.png

Edmonton Oilers receive:
Jake Guentzel (50% retained): One of the biggest pieces on the market for a while. 2x 40 goal scorer, point-per-game playoff performing left winger, who would look perfect next to Mcdavid. He's a quick skater with a shoot-first mentality, that plays with a lot of pace. His release is deadly, and he won't cost you defensively.

Alex Nedeljkovic: Currently supporting .915 sv% through 19 games on a worse team. While Pickard hasn't been bad necessarily, I think Nedeljkovic is a more reliable bet. If skinner falters, at least you have the insurance.
Lineup Post Trade
Guentzel - Mcdavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Mcleod
Foegele - RNH - Janmark
Gagner - Ryan - Perry
Extra: Brown
Bouchard - Ekholm
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Desharnais

1708542358348.png

Pittsburgh Penguins receive:
Dylan Holloway: Recent 1st round pick, who projects to be a sizeable hardworking two-way middle six centre. He's physically mature, and has a powerful stride. While he hasn't necessarily made his mark yet, the potential is certainly there.
Beau Akey: One of the best skaters of the 2023 draft. He would add a dynamic skating offensive defensemen to your pool, and instantly be a top 5 penguins prospect.
2024 1st round Pick
2025 3rd round pick

I think Guentzel's value is a 1st, a good prospect, and a good young player. Ned should go for around a 3rd/4th looking at comparable players. This gets a pretty good return.

Again I might be off-base since I'm not a fan of either team.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Holloway has underwhelming NHL numbers and that first will likely be 26th OV or higher. I think other teams could beat this so I would be passing if they presented Dubas with this today.

That said, I think there would need to be an additional pick in there for Neds. That package gets you Jake alone...maybe.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't particularly like either Holloway or Akey in this deal. Holloway has really struggled in the NHL (13 points in 75 games) and Akey has only played in 14 games this year in the OHL.

I understand why the Oilers would say no but this looks like an unattractive return from the Penguins POV. Holloway has his draft position to help his value, but is a 22 year old player with such bad NHL production really that valuable of a piece? I don't really think so.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Holloway has had injury issues but he is not struggling at all. In fact he has looked very good this year when healthy. My sense is that the Oilers see him as a swiss army knife who has more value to them than he might in a trade. Terrific skater, very physical, smart and finally finding his touch at the NHL level. He may not be what the Pens are looking for but he is not a guy the Oilers will give away in a package like this for a pure rental.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Holloway has had injury issues but he is not struggling at all. In fact he has looked very good this year when healthy. My sense is that the Oilers see him as a swiss army knife who has more value to them than he might in a trade. Terrific skater, very physical, smart and finally finding his touch at the NHL level. He may not be what the Pens are looking for but he is not a guy the Oilers will give away in a package like this for a pure rental.

He has 4 points in 23 games...

Good for the Oilers if they still see value in him, but I'd be pretty unhappy if he would be a major piece in a Guentzel return.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Good for the Oilers if they still see value in him, but I'd be pretty unhappy if he would be a major piece in a Guentzel return.
He had a rough start where he was playing injured and then got injured. He has 3 points in 9 games since returning to the lineup. Nothing to write home about, but the bottom six has been struggling to score lately.

He won't be a top-end player or anything, but he can play all three forward positions and has a skill set to play any role the coach wants, so he's got lots of value to the Oilers right now. They'd lose a ton of versatility without him.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
that is a lot for a guy the Oilers wont be able to resign and using the stats of one year of a player who has been around for 10 years? and both players are UFA after this year--oilers give up a lot of assets for nothing

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As others have said, I don't think Holloway gets moved. Nuge is a full time winger now, which means we have serious centre depth issues after McDavid and Draisaitl.

I actually am not sold on the Oilers going shopping for a big gun like Guentzel. It seems more likely that they go for someone with term, like going after Scott Laughton from Philly (if he is really available like was rumoured a few months back).

If we had the cap space, I'd consider taking a flyer on a Rickard Rakell trade, but the only way I see getting that much space is an unreasonable amount of retention from Pittsburgh, or a trade involving a certain AHL goalie that nobody wants, ha ha. I know RR has had an awful season, but I always liked what he brought to Anaheim. For a long time he was the only forward they had who I really wanted.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

The scoring hasn't come yet, but everything else about his game is looking good - he's not likely to ever be a superstar at this rate, but he's close to being a very good middle sixer, if he can start producing. Of course, that's the hardest part of becoming a productive NHL'er, so I understand your trepidation.

Luckily for you, I don't think the Oilers are keen on trading him for a rental.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

You have to watch the kid play to appreciate my point. He's generated all kinds of chances but the Oilers bottom six this year has had 0 finish.

This goal tells you a lot about how the kid plays:

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
I guess Akey is either…

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Would you like McDavid as well?

When was the last time a rental went for 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Would you like McDavid as well?

When was the last time a rental went for 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick?
When was the last time a rental of Guentzel's caliber was available?

This deal includes a strong BUG too so...

Say Neds is the 3rd. Then it's Guentzel for a 1st and 2 average prospects. Hell, Jarome Iginla went for that. Chychrun last year got a 1st and 2 2nds.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Too many questions marks, too high of a cost, and no chance of re-signing Guentzel makes me say no to this. Jake would probably be a great Oiler for his short time we'd be able to keep him. But we may as well use half those assets on a Tarasenko type, and the other half on a Ceci or 3c upgrade and improve 2 spots on the team with a higher chance of keeping some of those players past this year.

Fans seem to be torn on our goaltending situation. I personally don't think Skinner/Pickard is the answer and would gladly pay a 3rd for Ned to back up Skinner, his stats seem great and I wanted him a couple years ago. Pens fans don't seem to value him at all though, why is that?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Too many questions marks, too high of a cost, and no chance of re-signing Guentzel makes me say no to this. Jake would probably be a great Oiler for his short time we'd be able to keep him. But we may as well use half those assets on a Tarasenko type, and the other half on a Ceci or 3c upgrade and improve 2 spots on the team with a higher chance of keeping some of those players past this year.

Fans seem to be torn on our goaltending situation. I personally don't think Skinner/Pickard is the answer and would gladly pay a 3rd for Ned to back up Skinner, his stats seem great and I wanted him a couple years ago. Pens fans don't seem to value him at all though, why is that?
The sample size is pretty small and he was buns the last two seasons before this one. He'd be an upgrade on Pickard for sure, but not one I'd pay a lot for. Agreed, a 3rd is about my ceiling.

Reactions: Jarvi

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why is it guaranteed that Guentzel would be a rental? Honestly asking because I'm not paying attention to the Oilers' cap structure going forward.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Look I'm a fan of neither team yet I feel that there is a perfect fit between both teams.

Penguins, are currently on the outside looking in, and could really us a shift rebuild their prospect pool. They mindswell sell a few pieces, and retool for next year. Conversely, Oilers with Mcdavid and Draisaitl should be swinging for the fences and filling gaps. Oilers could use another top scoring threat, and LW as well as some goaltending insurance.

Proposal

View attachment 823314
Edmonton Oilers receive:
Jake Guentzel (50% retained): One of the biggest pieces on the market for a while. 2x 40 goal scorer, point-per-game playoff performing left winger, who would look perfect next to Mcdavid. He's a quick skater with a shoot-first mentality, that plays with a lot of pace. His release is deadly, and he won't cost you defensively.

Alex Nedeljkovic: Currently supporting .915 sv% through 19 games on a worse team. While Pickard hasn't been bad necessarily, I think Nedeljkovic is a more reliable bet. If skinner falters, at least you have the insurance.
Lineup Post Trade
Guentzel - Mcdavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Mcleod
Foegele - RNH - Janmark
Gagner - Ryan - Perry
Extra: Brown
Bouchard - Ekholm
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Desharnais

View attachment 823315
Pittsburgh Penguins receive:
Dylan Holloway: Recent 1st round pick, who projects to be a sizeable hardworking two-way middle six centre. He's physically mature, and has a powerful stride. While he hasn't necessarily made his mark yet, the potential is certainly there.
Beau Akey: One of the best skaters of the 2023 draft. He would add a dynamic skating offensive defensemen to your pool, and instantly be a top 5 penguins prospect.
2024 1st round Pick
2025 3rd round pick

I think Guentzel's value is a 1st, a good prospect, and a good young player. Ned should go for around a 3rd/4th looking at comparable players. This gets a pretty good return.

Again I might be off-base since I'm not a fan of either team.
Seems reasonable value wise. Oilers in must win mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitch nylander

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why is it guaranteed that Guentzel would be a rental? Honestly asking because I'm not paying attention to the Oilers' cap structure going forward.
Reports are he wants 9 million and most Oilers fans are banking on 26-30 million for Draisaitl and McDavid's new deals. Factor in Bouchard needing a big raise after next season, RNH/Nurse/Hyman/Ekholm/Kane all having term on their deals, Edmonton not being at the top of most free agent lists (though it's better than it used to be in that regard) and while it's not impossible, it's bloody unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00