Proposal: Oilers and Pens

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Guentzel is the best player available at the deadline. I don't think a good prospect and a 1st is unreasonable at all. Looking at previous deadlines, someone will pay it. If not Edmonton someone like Carolina.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
If he's so good, then keep him. I also checked the Oilers forum. Not a ton of praise for him.

He's a nice 4C though. Keep him.
Gotta give these east coasters a break they are all tucked in with their jammies on when the Oilers games start.Their only option is to make uninformed opinions based on Stat lines and repeat hate spread by Flames and Canuck fans

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Gotta give these east coasters a break they are all tucked in with their jammies on when the Oilers games start.Their only option is to make uninformed opinions based on Stat lines and repeat hate spread by Flames and Canuck fans
you do know that the Internet is a thing, right? you do understand that people can (and do) look up videos online of hockey games, right? or do you still think most computers are the size of an office?

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
you do know that the Internet is a thing, right? you do understand that people can (and do) look up videos online of hockey games, right? or do you still think most computers are the size of an office?
Yeah I'm sure everyone with an opinion here dos that. Such a well informed group HF is 🤣 . As I have said earlier I wouldn’t trade Holloway Akey or a 1st for a rental

• Haha
Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Guentzel (retained) to the Oilers at the TDL makes a lot of sense.

Not sure on the price needed to ultimately reach a deal but it will start with a 1st ++
Our GM is notoriously stingy with rentals. He hasn't traded a first for a rental ever, and the man is older than Jesus. I don't expect he will start trading 1sts for rentals now, especially on a player who we can't fit in our cap structure moving forward, so an extension is not likely.

I think the Oilers are absolutely in the market for a winger for Draisaitl's line. I don't think it will be a guy who has the price tag of Guentzel though, and I also don't think Holland will blow his proverbial wad on one player this deadline when he has 4 obvious spots that could use an upgrade - 2nd line RW, 3rd line C, backup goalie, and top 4 RD (Ceci upgrade). We don't have the assets or the cap space to really go that aggressively after Guentzel. Do I believe that Holland inquired about his availability? Absolutely. Do I think he will pay the price to get him? History suggests that he won't.

Ideal team after deadline:
Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Cheap 2nd line scorer
Foegele - Veteran 3 C - McLeod
Janmark/Ryan - Holloway - Perry
Gagner

Nurse - New RD (upgrade on Ceci)
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Desharnais
Broberg

Skinner
Better backup than Pickard

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lots of trade deadline history to remind how ineffective it is blowing pedigree assets on UFA players. Oilers have greater need to fill at 3C and ideally top 4RD upgrade. With a second year goalie, they are better served to fortify one or ideally both these areas and pick around secondary scoring wingers which are always the most plentiful deadline position available.

Holland's recent model is contract term Ekholm for a 1st, prospect, and NHL roster player (Barrie). The team's premium assets, prospects and draft collateral, are extremely shallow so probability is overwhelming they won't be used this year on a UFA but possibly and quite likely for a player with term to help a multi-year winning window. Edmonton has shown it can score in the playoffs. It's goal suppression and team defending which has been the missing piece to building up a realistic Cup level contending team.

A healthy Guentzel would be fun to watch as a complementary winger to McDavid or Draisaitl. Less fun would be watching this team blow its shot for a one-and-done dice roll on a guy who walks end of season and leaving this organization even more hamstrung to fill in roster areas required for sustaining a winning window.

Reactions: RegDunlop

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Yeah I'm sure everyone with an opinion here dos that. Such a well informed group HF is 🤣 . As I have said earlier I wouldn’t trade Holloway Akey or a 1st for a rental
well I wouldn't trade Guentzel for a pile of crap, rental or not. sounds like we're in agreement.

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
I think the deal is fair value wise but I don't see the oilers doing it.

Holloway's market value doesn't line up with his value to the oilers and he's going to be a stud power forward for us in the playoffs.

On forward the oilers really need to improve their bottom 6 and this trade just creates another hole.

There will be another team willing to pay a lot for Guentzel and it's probably going to be Vegas or the Canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad