Confirmed with Link: Oilers agree to terms with LHD Dillon Simpson on an ELC

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That's a ridiculous statement.

What exactly are you basing it on?

Lol, are you serious?

The vast majority of defenseman in this league do not get NHL time until they are at least 22-24 and then it is common knowledge that it takes most defenseman 200+ NHL games before they truly "settle in" and are NHL quality.

Jeff Petry is the perfect example of this and a decent comparable for Simpson.

Hell, Erik Johnson was a first overall pick and is now 26 and been in the league since he was 18-19 and is just finally reaching his potential now.

Defenseman take longer to develop. Noob :-P

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Lol, are you serious?

The vast majority of defenseman in this league do not get NHL time until they are at least 22-24 and then it is common knowledge that it takes most defenseman 200+ NHL games before they truly "settle in" and are NHL quality.

Hell, Erik Johnson was a first overall pick and is now 26 and been in the league since he was 18-19 and is just finally reaching his potential now.

I took a double take at your previous post too. I just misunderstood what you meant by being "nhl worthy." To me that means cracking the line up, to you it seems to mean being an established NHL player.:dunno: If he is any good I see him getting a shot on the Oilers within 2 years, similar to what happened with Petry and Gilbert.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Lol, are you serious?

Ya making grand statements like he is 5 years away makes you the smart one. Everything you said is correct except that he could very well make the team next year and then get his 200 games in less than 3 years. it probably wont happen but just randomly stating it for sure wont makes you look ridiculous.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I have read all the current media literature about Simpson, his recent NCAA success and pros/cons.

I wasn't excited about the draft selection in 2011 and I have yet to find anything exciting here:

Average size,
Average skating,
Not Offensive

....Um.....right.

He led the NCHC in defensive scoring (or was top 2).

You don't got to be a big mean D to be a good defenseman. Almost every one comments on how high his hockey IQ and great his positioning is.

There is a role for these D, so you don't have to be a Schultz (offense) or Fraser (size) to be in the NHL

Maybe I watched his best game and it was a one off thing. But he looked near NHL ready (for call up duty, not regular minutes). He was a work horse on the ice and basically controlled the play in his own end. Breaking up numerous passes, and didn't get beat a rush once. IMO if his ceiling is a bottom pairing D, he is a perfect partner for a river boat gambler like Gernat. But its not like hes only a shut down D either. He put up good points in the NCAA. Using NHLE, he would put up about 19 points over a full 82 game NHL sched at 21.

Brodin would be a great example for Simpson, average size D who uses his hockey IQ and effective positioning to be a good D. The other difference is Brodin is a better skater. But the first person I thought of when watching Simpson was Brodin (not that Simpson will be as good)

His skating also didn't look bad at all, but that's comparing him to other NCAA guys, who admittedly aren't the best skaters (atleast compared to AHL/NHL players). So ill wait to see him in TC before making a call. But his game is pretty much pro ready, its just his skating that will dictate if he gets a call up next year, or needs to spend a few or two in the AHL.

Last edited:

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Lol, are you serious?

This past season 303 separate defensemen took shifts in the NHL. Of those 303 separate defensemen 145 were 25 years old or younger.

Is it your position that 48% of the defensemen who played in the NHL last season weren't NHL worthy?

If so you're ridiculous.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Seems to have done all you could ask from a prospect in College Hockey.

Can the Oilers develop him further and make him an even better hockey player?
I don't have much faith but it sure would be nice to hit pay dirt and get more than what's expected out of a d prospect on this team.

Especially from a former Oiler's son... I could use some former Oiler positivity.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As an aside, Simpson was actually one year younger than a "true" freshman in college (a true freshman comes right out of high school year to college). He finished high school one year early IIRC, making him among the youngest (if not the youngest) player in NCAA Div. 1 during his freshman year. To put that in perspective, many NCAA players play a year or two of junior before they sign in the NCAA, making them 23-24yrs old as seniors, not 21 like Simpson. Just some food for thought.

Yup. Simpson is a 93, and is a pretty rare senior. Here are some other guys on his team

Schmaltz- 93 born- Sophmore this season (2 classes ahead, same age)
O-Donnell- 92- Junior (Class ahead, year younger, so 2 years ahead)
Parker- 92-Junior (2 years ahead)
Grimaldi-93-Junior (Year ahead)
MacMillan-92-Junior ( 2 years ahead)
Gaarder- 91-Junior (3 years ahead, 2 years younger and a class ahead)

Or for comparison
Stecher-94- Freshman (barely a year younger than Simpson)
Tambellini-94-Freshman (a year younger than Simpson)

He is 1 or 2 years ahead of everybody, which is pretty amazing. He was a top pairing guy to start last year, which is when a lot of 20 YOs are just starting to play regular minutes

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Seems to have done all you could ask from a prospect in College Hockey.

Can the Oilers develop him further and make him an even better hockey player?
I don't have much faith but it sure would be nice to hit pay dirt and get more than what's expected out of a d prospect on this team.

Especially from a former Oiler's son... I could use some former Oiler positivity.

Leave him with Nelson :laugh:

Nelson is actually good at developing young players, or so it seems. Marincin and Klefbom both benefited. Don't let Eakins get his hands on the kid till Nelson has had 40+ games with him

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Pretty much sums up some fans knowledge about defenseman. If you assumed I ment that it will be five years before he played I suppose that could just be miscommunication on my part but that really does put your frame of mind on NHL worthy as pretty weak.

Bottom pairing defenseman are often career AHLers who get called up for parts of a year or maybe even a year or two during their peak (25-30) and face only the lowest of quality of forwards who also happen to be career AHLers getting their brief time to shine. Or are older top 4 guys that have lost step or are younger top 4 guys getting their feet wet.

They are sheltered and used sparingly to reduce the negative impact they would have if played against even the leagues average opposition.

Often teams purposely use bottom pairing AHLer type defenseman just for cap/financial management.

Sure those guys play in the NHL but are hardly "NHL worthy". They are stop gags, cap management level scrubs. For a team to be successful they need to draft well so you can look within your organization for those types of players. Players like Simpson.

Edit: Rereading that I can actually see why some might think "NHL worthy" means playing in the NHL. It does kind of read that way. Not sure how else I could have put it tho. NHL worthy of a regular non sheltered shift?

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Pretty much sums up some fans knowledge about defenseman. If you assumed I ment that it will be five years before he played I suppose that could just be miscommunication on my part but that really does put your frame of mind on NHL worthy as pretty weak.

Bottom pairing defenseman are often career AHLers who get called up for parts of a year or maybe even a year or two during their peak (25-30) and face only the lowest of quality of forwards who also happen to be career AHLers getting their brief time to shine. Or are older top 4 guys that have lost step or are younger top 4 guys getting their feet wet.

They are sheltered and used sparingly to reduce the negative impact they would have if played against even the leagues average opposition.

Often teams purposely use bottom pairing AHLer type defenseman just for cap/financial management.

Sure those guys play in the NHL but are hardly "NHL worthy". They are stop gags, cap management level scrubs. For a team to be successful they need to draft well so you can look within your organization for those types of players. Players like Simpson.

Again I say, we can really only hope, because as you say, guys are either NHLers or not, no one develops.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This past season 303 separate defensemen took shifts in the NHL. Of those 303 separate defensemen 145 were 25 years old or younger.

Is it your position that 48% of the defensemen who played in the NHL last season weren't NHL worthy?

If so you're ridiculous.

Proof that stats can be attempted to prove anything if used out of context.

Ill bet you a shinny silver dollar and the title of ridiculous that the total time on ice of those 145 is less than half the time of those 25 or older.

How many of those under 25 who played in the NHL last year played more than 40 games?

Give me a break. You can try to spin it any which way you like but you are clueless if you think Simpson is doing anything respectable in the NHL before he is 25.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
8 post before we talked about trading a guy who just signed--gotta a be a new record for this place

He is a chip whether we trade him this summer or 10 years from now. I don't get how some posters can take offence to this.. he's not saying ship him out, just saying we have gained another asset. People need to take a step back and be a little more open-minded.. or maybe just normal.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
He is a chip whether we trade him this summer or 10 years from now. I don't get how some posters can take offense to this.. he's not saying ship him out, just saying we have gained another asset. People need to take a step back and be a little more open-minded.. or maybe just normal.

Exactly.

If someone wants him and are offering a useful player for him, you consider it.

Well, maybe not. Wouldn't want to piss daddy off.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I go to a lot of Spruce Saints games and watched Dillon as a youngster. He was very good at a very young age and I think he's a great prospect - maybe a Musil-type prospect but I think Simpson may be better. This isn't a knock-our-socks-off signing but Simpson is a top-drawer prospect. If his draft were redone now, he'd go much higher. I think he'll be on our blue line in two years.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

Ill bet you a shinny silver dollar and the title of ridiculous that the total time on ice of those 145 is less than half the time of those 25 or older.

How many of those under 25 who played in the NHL last year played more than 40 games?

Give me a break. You can try to spin it any which way you like but you are clueless if you think Simpson is doing anything respectable in the NHL before he is 25.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Right?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Wow. So much negativity. And quips about cronyism.

You guys are insane. He was a free pick so who cares.

I reckon him coming from a hockey family and the probability of him watching so much of it, if he is as smart as people say, he should be a decent D man down the road. Maybe not top pairing but definitely serviceable

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
Wow. So much negativity. And quips about cronyism.

You guys are insane. He was a free pick so who cares.

I reckon him coming from a hockey family and the probability of him watching so much of it, if he is as smart as people say, he should be a decent D man down the road. Maybe not top pairing but definitely serviceable

Yup only on HF Oil where we complain about a prospect signing :shakehead

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He led the NCHC in defensive scoring (or was top 2).

You don't got to be a big mean D to be a good defenseman. Almost every one comments on how high his hockey IQ and great his positioning is.

There is a role for these D, so you don't have to be a Schultz (offense) or Fraser (size) to be in the NHL

Maybe I watched his best game and it was a one off thing. But he looked near NHL ready (for call up duty, not regular minutes). He was a work horse on the ice and basically controlled the play in his own end. Breaking up numerous passes, and didn't get beat a rush once. IMO if his ceiling is a bottom pairing D, he is a perfect partner for a river boat gambler like Gernat. But its not like hes only a shut down D either. He put up good points in the NCAA. Using NHLE, he would put up about 19 points over a full 82 game NHL sched at 21.

Brodin would be a great example for Simpson, average size D who uses his hockey IQ and effective positioning to be a good D. The other difference is Brodin is a better skater. But the first person I thought of when watching Simpson was Brodin (not that Simpson will be as good)

His skating also didn't look bad at all, but that's comparing him to other NCAA guys, who admittedly aren't the best skaters (atleast compared to AHL/NHL players). So ill wait to see him in TC before making a call. But his game is pretty much pro ready, its just his skating that will dictate if he gets a call up next year, or needs to spend a few or two in the AHL.

Sounds like the games I watched of Gilbert when he was in University. Absolutely dominant, all plays went through him and he was an absolute leader on the ice. I know people like to rag on Gilbert but in his first few seasons his potential appeared through the roof. Unfortunately he never developed the ability to use his size, but that's not to say Simpson won't.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Sounds like the games I watched of Gilbert when he was in University. Absolutely dominant, all plays went through him and he was an absolute leader on the ice. I know people like to rag on Gilbert but in his first few seasons his potential appeared through the roof. Unfortunately he never developed the ability to use his size, but that's not to say Simpson won't.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic.

It's interesting. Is it an issue with the Oilers?

Why does it seem once a defenceman makes the big team he never really improves as a player.

Usually they start off with all this optimism than over time it becomes apparent after a few years he's the same player.

This team has an awful time with defencemen historically. Kevin Lowe did pretty good identifying them via trades actually. but from the draft up.. nope.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

No, those aren't the players teams hope for when they say they want to "draft well". Those are the minor leaguers each team signs in the summer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Ya, because Jones, Krug, Murray, Trouba, Lindholm, Rielly, Hamilton, Brodin, etc are all useless right?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ya, because Jones, Krug, Murray, Trouba, Lindholm, Rielly, Hamilton, Brodin, etc are all useless right?

Ya, because that's what I was saying exactly right? :sarcasm:

We were talking about the average defenseman, the majority of defenseman, Dillion Simpson comparables... You think Dillion Simpson belongs on that list? :help:

Did someone send out the call for this thread? :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad