Confirmed with Link: Oilers agree to terms with LHD Dillon Simpson on an ELC

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He's going to have to REALLY improve his skating.

He really wont have to, its not an issue at all (but if it gets better he goes from a bottom pairing guy to a solid top 4 guy). Once again, I fail to find any recent report saying his skating is an issue at all

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
He really wont have to, its not an issue at all (but if it gets better he goes from a bottom pairing guy to a solid top 4 guy). Once again, I fail to find any recent report saying his skating is an issue at all

I'm personally struggling to find recent reports not connected to the Oilers, so some of these are admittedly a couple years old.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I don't know how to be excited about a 4th round draft pick who just dominated in College hockey at 21. Admittedly I've never watched an NCAA hockey game in my life and I don't know how big a deal that is.

I give this signing a "whatever". If I'm wrong I'll be happy when the time comes. He played for Spruce Grove, I'll give him mad props for that.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't know how to be excited about a 4th round draft pick who just dominated in College hockey at 21. Admittedly I've never watched an NCAA hockey game in my life and I don't know how big a deal that is.

I give this signing a "whatever". If I'm wrong I'll be happy when the time comes. He played for Spruce Grove, I'll give him mad props for that.

He is one of the younger NCAA players. Some guys are 23 in NCAA. Simpson went to the NCAA as a 17 YO which is a pretty unheard of thing. He was a top pairing D at age 19-20, which rarely happens

Dominating the NCAA at 20-21 means ALOT more than dominating the CHL at the same age.

In the CHL at 19-20 year old is playing against 16-17 year old 160 pound boys.

Simpson is playing against fellow 20 year olds, who are all developed. A regular NCAA who have their way with good CHL teams. And the best NCAA teams would bend over the best CHL team

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If I want pro development, I pick the CHL ten times out of ten. An NCAA team would be destroyed in a CHL regular season.

If Simpson played in the W, he'd be getting walked by the speed of teams like Portland.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If I want pro development, I pick the CHL ten times out of ten. An NCAA team would be destroyed in a CHL regular season.

wut

NCAA has 20+ year old players. They would pick apart the CHL and have their way with most teams.

The only reason the CHL is better is because it allows young players to play big minutes at 16 or 17, and allows them to play more games. 17 and 18 year olds are buried in the NCAA because their is much better players

But almost 30% of young players coming into the NHL now are NCAA players

The CHL has great high end talent, but the NCAA crushes them in terms of having much better depth. In a head to head battle, the CHL team will have the 2 best NHL prospects, but the NCAA will have 18 other players that are better than anyone on the CHL roster (simply due to age)

And I fail to see how your making these calls. A) youve never seen him play b) you are going off 2 year old reports

Simpson is not the next Lidstrom by any stretch. But you dont rack up accolades like he has by mistake. He is a good, but not great prospect

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
wut

NCAA has 20+ year old players. They would pick apart the CHL and have their way with most teams.

The only reason the CHL is better is because it allows young players to play big minutes at 16 or 17, and allows them to play more games. 17 and 18 year olds are buried in the NCAA because their is much better players

But almost 30% of young players coming into the NHL now are NCAA players

The CHL has great high end talent, but the NCAA crushes them in terms of having much better depth. In a head to head battle, the CHL team will have the 2 best NHL prospects, but the NCAA will have 18 other players that are better than anyone on the CHL roster (simply due to age)

I love that the oilers have quite a few NCAA guys. They are a more polished prospect when they are ready and get more time to develop. This is huge as it doesn't force CHL players into the AHL if they aren't ready. Great for the 50 contracts too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I love that the oilers have quite a few NCAA guys. They are a more polished prospect when they are ready and get more time to develop. This is huge as it doesn't force CHL players into the AHL if they aren't ready. Great for the 50 contracts too.

It is. I really hope they pick another D who plans on going to the NCAA. Instead of going to the AHL at 19 and 20 they can play an additional 1 or 2 years in the NCAA

Its perfect for a guy like Laleggia who wouldnt crack the AHL roster, and still has a lot to work on in the NCAA before being seeing as a legit NHL prospect

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The NCAA only plays a 34 game season. Stick a team into the 72 game WHL and they'd be gassed out of their minds come playoff time.

Hard to be the best when you don't play anywhere close to a pro schedule.

And yes, I'm using older reports until a more recent, non-Oiler clouded report comes out. I'm not interested in Oiler rose colored glasses regarding the guy.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The NCAA only plays a 34 game season. Stick a team into the 72 game WHL and they'd be gassed out of their minds come playoff time.

They could go 40-5 then rest for a couple months for the playoffs and be good to go

To put it into perspective, the Golden Bears normally beat the best Oiler prospects (similarly with the Dinos and Flames prospects), and the Bears wouldnt do well against Div 1 NCAA teams

The NCAA would crush most CHL teams and its crazy to assume otherwise. NCAA prospects have very little trouble adapting to a 82 game schedule

But it doesnt change the fact that doing well in the NCAA at age 20 is much better than doing the same in the CHL at the same age

Last edited:

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Extremely excited for Simpson. Always liked him since the draft. Seems like that type of late round guy that develops into a quiet but solid performer.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
I have read all the current media literature about Simpson, his recent NCAA success and pros/cons.

I wasn't excited about the draft selection in 2011 and I have yet to find anything exciting here:

Average size,
Average skating,
Not Offensive

....Um.....right.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I have read all the current media literature about Simpson, his recent NCAA success and pros/cons.

I wasn't excited about the draft selection in 2011 and I have yet to find anything exciting here:

Average size,
Average skating,
Not Offensive

....Um.....right.

If size, skating ability, and offensive ability was the only thing that made for a good hockey player; scouting and identifying good players would be a trivial matter.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I watched him in Spruce with the Saints, he was 16 and far and away their best defenseman, he was just a treat to watch.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Glad to hear that Simpson seems to be developing well for us. They must have signed him for a reason. If he takes after his Father, he could be a gem.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm personally struggling to find recent reports not connected to the Oilers, so some of these are admittedly a couple years old.

I've watched him play numerous times and I can tell you that his skating isn't bad.
It's not necessarily a strength of his but I would classify it as at least average.
His hockey IQ is top notch and he was one of the best players in college this season so the Oilers didn't sign because of who his daddy is.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

If Simpson played in the W, he'd be getting walked by the speed of teams like Portland.

:laugh: at the comment that CHL teams are better than NCAA teams. So untrue. Not even close.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Just for kicks, I looked up Jeff Petry's college stats to put Simpson's into perspective. Here they are.

Petry
07/08 42GP 3G 21A 24P (Turned 20 December 9)
08/09 38GP 2G 12A 14P (Turned 21 December 9)
09/10 38GP 4G 25A 29P (Turned 22 December 9)

Simpson
10/11 30GP 2G 8A 10P (Turned 18 February 10)
11/12 42GP 2G 18A 20P (Turned 19 February 10)
12/13 42GP 5G 19A 24P (Turned 20 February 10)
13/14 42GP 7G 16A 23P (Turned 21 February 10)

Petry had the single best offensive season, but overall they look in range with one another. I'm not sure what impact age has had, but it is interesting to note if nothing else. Looks like we have a keeper in Simpson. Could be the insurance we need to trade 1 or 2 LHD prospects.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

You don't know much about the NCAA do you? Well one thing I can tell you is that Simpson is MUCH more likely to play against MEN in the NCAA because guys can be 22, 23, 24 or 25+, you can't see that in the WHL.

I fail to see what a "mind set" like this accomplishes. Many players have played both and succeed and failed from both.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He is a decent prospect with the potential to be a NHL player but most likely to play a handful of games at the most. He is a good 5 years out minimum, from being NHL worthy and that is if all goes well for him. The organization still needs these types of prospects so it's good that we got him but lets not start penciling him in our line-up any time soon. The optimism for this player is a bit over the top.

If skating is even remotely a problem area on this kid, his top end will be bottom pairing. At 21 I don't believe a player can drastically improve there skating much more.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He is a decent prospect with the potential to be a NHL player but most likely to play a handful of games at the most. He is a good 5 years out minimum, from being NHL worthy and that is if all goes well for him. The organization still needs these types of prospects so it's good that we got him but lets not start penciling him in our line-up any time soon. The optimism for this player is a bit over the top.

If skating is even remotely a problem area on this kid, his top end will be bottom pairing. At 21 I don't believe a player can drastically improve there skating much more.

Well I guess we can only hope. I mean, what prospects actually develop, they're either NHL players or fodder, no middle ground here.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

That's a ridiculous statement.

What exactly are you basing it on?

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013

And yes, I'm using older reports until a more recent, non-Oiler clouded report comes out. I'm not interested in Oiler rose colored glasses regarding the guy.

I am not sure he ever turns out to be a full-time NHLer, but your comments re: NCAA vs CHL are terribly misinformed. An earlier poster's comparison was pretty spot on. Aside from maybe 1-2 very high end guys on a CHL team, top to bottom NCAA teams would speedbag CHL teams in terms of depth.

As an aside, Simpson was actually one year younger than a "true" freshman in college (a true freshman comes right out of high school year to college). He finished high school one year early IIRC, making him among the youngest (if not the youngest) player in NCAA Div. 1 during his freshman year. To put that in perspective, many NCAA players play a year or two of junior before they sign in the NCAA, making them 23-24yrs old as seniors, not 21 like Simpson. Just some food for thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad