Confirmed with Link: Oilers agree to terms with LHD Dillon Simpson on an ELC

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You know krug was undrafted right?

Lol, no I did not. I figured he was a very low draft pick because I had not heard of him till he blasted out of the gate for Boston in the playoffs.

I am unsure how that really fits into the conversation.

Are you saying Simpson is a Krug just waiting to happen?

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Lol, no I did not. I figured he was a very low draft pick because I had not heard of him till he blasted out of the gate for Boston in the playoffs.

I watched Krug in college and tbh he has transferred to the NHL better than I thought he would. Although he was close to winning conference scoring title as a defenceman, which is insane. Some guys will be able to make the jump, and some won't. We will have to see how Simpson does with his transition, but he is tracking well considering he played so well as a very young college player.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Heres other article about Simpson (from March 4, 2014). Hes ranked as the 24th best NHL prospect in the NCAA

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/3/4/5393448/ncaa-top-100-nhl-prospects-21-40-free-agent-nhl-draft

(I did the research on the writer, he doesn't appear to be a Katz crony)

Simpson first came to North Dakota as a 17-year-old, and as a result, got a bit lost in the shuffle as he adjusted to playing against much older competition. But over the course of his career, he’s quietly become one of the most effective two-way defensemen in the NCAA, capable of playing in every situation. He’s got excellent hockey sense which should help lead him to a long NHL career

Hes the 10th ranked D. And most D ahead of him are considered blue chippers by their respective fan bases. Most of the D ahead of him are also 1st or 2nd rounders

Hes ahead of:
Riley Barber (F)
Hudson Fasching (F)
Steve Stantini
Mike Rielly
Stephen Johns

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Heres other article about Simpson (from March 4, 2014). Hes ranked as the 24th best NHL prospect in the NCAA

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/3/4/5393448/ncaa-top-100-nhl-prospects-21-40-free-agent-nhl-draft

(I did the research on the writer, he doesn't appear to be a Katz crony)

Hes the 10th ranked D. And most D ahead of him are considered blue chippers by their respective fan bases. Most of the D ahead of him are also 1st or 2nd rounders

Hes ahead of:
Riley Barber (F)
Hudson Fasching (F)
Steve Stantini
Mike Rielly
Stephen Johns

Impressive, the Esks QB is really multi-talented.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

No just sayin your logic is flawed

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
No just sayin your logic is flawed

Do you want me to list the hundreds of players over the last 10 years who fall into the range of "my logic"?

:shakehead

There are always exceptions. Sure maybe we are lucky and he develops faster than most D-men. Hits the ice running so to speak but that is not how it typically works.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Might allow us to trade one of Klefbom or Marincin and some other depth dmen prospects

Right now we lack a clear top pairing D, or even a guy capable of playing #1 minutes. I would fully support trading one of Klefbom/Marincin for a veteran top pairing D (Boychuk for example).

Simpson is not as good of a prospect, but he is still capable of sliding into the bottom pairing role in the upcoming future (this spot will be occupied by Klefbom/Marincin).

If we keep all the D prospects (Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin) it is unlikely Simpson even gets a sniff in the NHL for a while, and we would still be without a top pairing D for 2-3 years.

Trading Marincin/Klefbom brings us a top pairing D (in a package), and only downgrades us slightly in terms of D prospect. Its gamble, but theres always a chance Simpson turns out to be just as good as the two

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I think Klefbom would be a very good trade chip. His value is fairly high but the guy just seems to always be injured. with our glut of d prospects on the left side I think he would be the ideal piece to send off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad