Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Cameron Abney and Teemu Hartikainen.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
So out of curiosity, when would be the earliest we would see Harti in NA?

Wouldn't be surprised to see him make a case for himself at TC next year, but I think I read somewhere he has another year on his contract in Ufa... not 100% on how the out clauses work

“I think it’s mostly up to me if I want to come back. I want to play in the NHL, but I need to be a little bit better in some areas of my game. My only goal is to get better at playing hockey in Russia, and then after that, we’ll see where I end up.”

http://www.tendthefarm.com/teemu-hartikainen-i-wanna-play-in-the-nhl-other-facts/

Last edited:

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Good trade. I was a big fan of Fraser last season but he was much worse this season and it didn't appear to be getting any better with that knee injury. He also had a cap hit that we could use to have two players at 600/700k instead of just him and he's a UFA at the end of the season and unlikely to be resigned. Maybe Hartikainen will end up being an alright bottom 6 guy in the future as well. Abney just seems like a future goon at best.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
BTW I just realized I have seen Abney before... Devane beat the crap out of him in his short stint in the ECHL last season, guess he isnt even very good at fighting lol

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Would have preferred draft picks.

Me too, but Fraser didnt really have any value at all. This is two teams dumping players they have no use for anymore.

And I really wont be shocked if either of these players never plays a game in Toronto besides maybe training camp. Harti couldnt cut it for the Oilers. Where is he going to fit in our bottom 6?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Me too, but Fraser didnt really have any value at all. This is two teams dumping players they have no use for anymore.

And I really wont be shocked if either of these players never plays a game in Toronto besides maybe training camp. Harti couldnt cut it for the Oilers. Where is he going to fit in our bottom 6?

I don't even think he would go to the AHL, and take the KHL alternative. Abney on the other hand, I don't think he makes the AHL. So we got two scraps for Fraser. I would have preferred to just send Fraser down, or a 6th round pick or something, which always has that outside chance of one day having value.

What picks would you have expected?

Would have been happy with a 6th. At least with draft picks you have a chance they might one day become an NHL player. These 2, I don't think have any chance at all. At least Fraser could have played in the AHL.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't even think he would go to the AHL, and take the KHL alternative. Abney on the other hand, I don't think he makes the AHL. So we got two scraps for Fraser. I would have preferred to just send Fraser down, or a 6th round pick or something, which always has that outside chance of one day having value.

Would have been happy with a 6th. At least with draft picks you have a chance they might one day become an NHL player. These 2, I don't think have any chance at all. At least Fraser could have played in the AHL.

The Marlies D isnt bad really, could he play down there? His game has completely fallen off the map with a skull injury and operations on both knees. For a guy who was slow as it was, thats almost a career killer.

I hope him the best, but he needs to improve his game dramatically.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I like this deal.

Fraser put in a good body of work last year and his toughness was both appreciated and welcome on a team trying to build around that mentality. The fact that he got up after getting hit in the face with a shot tells you all you need to know about his character and resilience. That said, once the league started catching up to him (around 30 games), you could tell he was beginning to get outmatched. By the end of last season and into the playoffs, he was struggling to keep pace, and that continued on into this season. He hasn't played since, what, December? I obviously wish him well, but there was no future for him here in Toronto.

As for the return, I'm fine with it. Glad we just got a return, actually, given that it was a cap dump. Maybe Hartikainen develops into an NHL player. Oilers fans have noted skating and motivational issues, but at the same time, some work with Underhill and some maturity, and we might have an NHL player. Komarov didn't make the jump to the NHL until he was 25, so still a few years left for Hartikainen. We'll see. I wonder if he'd be willing to play in the American Hockey League next year, given that the Marlies are just down the road (as opposed to all the way in OKC).

Mirtle says more moves coming. With a healthy roster we're over the salary cap and the Olympic break does count, meaning we could get two and a half weeks of cap relief by sending some players down to the Marlies.

Indicate

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Great for Fraser, though I would of liked to see him get back to his game like last year as a Leaf. Good that he'll be playing again.

Indicate

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
I like this deal.

Fraser put in a good body of work last year and his toughness was both appreciated and welcome on a team trying to build around that mentality. The fact that he got up after getting hit in the face with a shot tells you all you need to know about his character and resilience. That said, once the league started catching up to him (around 30 games), you could tell he was beginning to get outmatched. By the end of last season and into the playoffs, he was struggling to keep pace, and that continued on into this season. He hasn't played since, what, December? I obviously wish him well, but there was no future for him here in Toronto.

His injuries were likely a factor to his recent performance.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I like the trade; Gleason made Fraser redundant (so did Fraser's poor play) and with Bolland set to come back soon, we need to clear some cap space. Not to mention we add a couple of propects, which never hurts (especially since both are RFAs at the end of the season). Also, I was a big fan of Fraser last year before the injury and hopefully he has a chance to resurrect his career in Edmonton.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
tumblr_m9uyriuKb01qi0d7lo3_250.gif

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
There goes the chance to rekindle the Franson-Fraser bromance on the bottom pair... If Fraser is healthy again (he was playing on bad knees), he could have actually helped make Cody Franson useful to us (on the bottom pair). Franson needs to be on the bottom pairing and needs the right dance partner. Franson-Rielly didn't work out very well if you look at the stats. Rielly can't bail out Franson and Franson can't bail out Rielly. Franson would be a negative influence on Rielly's development as well.

With Fraser gone, does this mean that Franson could get traded? Franson-Gleason sucks (maybe not on a bottom pair). Franson-Gardiner sucks (might work as bottom pair). Franson-Rielly sucks (even as bottom pair). Who else are you going to play him with? Ranger? Brennan? (I'd shudder to think what Franson-Brennan would look like defensively). Phaneuf-Gunnarsson have a set-in-stone pairing.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
You guys dont realize it yet but u almost got Komarov vol 2 in Hartikainen. He was one of the last players cut from our olympic squad and is really good bottom line player.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Komarov - McClement - Hartikainen

What a solid 4th line that would be. With Ashton - Bolland - Clarkson as line 3.

Pest City
That kind of line could significant lessen the defensive role of the shut down line. I'd rather see someone with more offensive upside to take the LW spot. That means, either Holland, or Lupul. I can't see that fourth line providing much depth scoring even if it will be tough to play against.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
His injuries were likely a factor to his recent performance.

Perhaps, but as mentioned, his play was sliding before his injuries.

By late March/early April last year, Fraser was playing poorly and by the playoffs, he was an outright liability.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
No clue who these guys are but Fraser was just sitting in the press box each night so moving him for anything in return is fine by me. Being completely ignorant about the players involved makes me think that perhaps a late rounder would have been better but it doesn't really matter. The trade frees up some cap space and moves a player that no longer fit because he wasn't playing well.

Good luck to him. It's really turning into a mini Marlies reunion down there in Edmonton.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No clue who these guys are but Fraser was just sitting in the press box each night so moving him for anything in return is fine by me. Being completely ignorant about the players involved makes me think that perhaps a late rounder would have been better but it doesn't really matter. The trade frees up some cap space and moves a player that no longer fit because he wasn't playing well.

Good luck to him. It's really turning into a mini Marlies reunion down there in Edmonton.

Reimer to Edmonton - would not surprise me at. all.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Don't even care about the prospects they sound like busts. Can't even make the Oilers roster.

I'm just happy that we got rid of Fraser and freed up a roster spot and cleared up a bit of capspace.

Oilers are probably glad they get a decent 6th stay at home defenseman to help out Sievens.. (not sure if he still deserves that nickname after his 59 saver)

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Reimer to Edmonton - would not surprise me at. all.
Edmonton already have Ben Scrivens (LA traded Scrivens to them just recently because their #3 Marcus Jones was red hot, out-playing even Scrivens. And they have Quick at #1) and Ilya Bryzgalov though. Maybe Reimer goes to hometown Winnipeg. Winnipeg's goalie Pavelec was on a hot streak recently but wasn't doing very well this season overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad