Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Cameron Abney and Teemu Hartikainen.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Best of luck Mark Fraser! Sad to see you go, but, you just didn't play well enough this season.

I would have thought that Nonis would have got a draft pick back instead. I think Edmonton just dumped problem players on us. I guess time will tell!

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I bet Hartikainen will be insurance if Kulemin walks. He's basically Komarov 2.0.

He plays a different game to both. Hartikainen doesn't (at least didn't) have Leo's speed nor Komarov's proactive skillset. But he can be an effective possession player and can be effective on the forecheck.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Raymond* - Bolland - Clarkson
Ashton - McClement - Bodie
Orr, Holland

Gunner - Phaneuf
Gleason - Franson*
Gardiner - Rielly
Ranger

Bernier
Reimer *

Not here then they are sent down/traded/waived

* are the ones I think have a chance to be moved.

Raymond because I just don't see him as a good fit on our bottom 6, a guy like Bodie/Holland could do just as good as a job. Could be a chance to get a different asset (a 2nd?).

Franson, because Loiselle stated today that they could trade him right now if they wanted too. If between now and March 5th, Carlyle looks at Franson and says "He can be replaced" or "Not liking his game" "costing us too much" (goal against wise) then we could see him moved. Probably not likely.

Reimer, probably won't happen, but you never know. Don't see him here in September, but doubt he gets moved before the deadline. But who knows, if a team makes the right offer

Both Reimer and Franson are not going anywhere right now unless we get replacements for both positions. Both are RFA anyway so no rush.

I agree with trading Raymond away for an asset at the deadline as he will probably walk anyway and I like the look of either Bodie or Holland with Bolland and Clarkson.

This is what I have in mind:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Holland - Bolland - Clarkson
Smith/Ashton - McClement - Bodie
Orr

Waive McLaren and trade Raymond. I am not sure if one or both of Smith or Ashton need to clear waivers or not. Either way one of the two has to go.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
People have to stop using the Komarov comparison for Hatrikainen.

The two things that separate Komarov from the grinder pack are 1) footspeed and 2) unstoppable internal engine.

Hartikainen has neither of these assets. He's inconsistent, a little lazy, and not very fast.

Fully agree, Komarov is a bad comparison, he was far superior than Harti.

ForSpareParts*

So without reading ever single post in this thread, can someone comment on the bottom line here?

Did the Leafs win this trade? Did we get the better player in the deal?

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
So without reading ever single post in this thread, can someone comment on the bottom line here?

Win/Win. We drop cap space, Oilers get a physical Dman.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Win/Win. We drop cap space, Oilers get a physical Dman.

More like a win/ehhh. We definately win because we dump cap space and Fraser was #8 on our depth chart. Bolland is coming back. Edmonton didn't give up anything significant but didn't gain much either.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Like the trade, frees up cap space. More than likely we get nothing for it but that`s totally cool.

Only problem I have is that we`re now at the 50 contract limit now. Makes it a little difficult to sign a NCAA free agent (if we`re interested in one) or make a deal

only takes a minor deal to do that. Won't even be considered a headline trade if it wasn't for the leafs.

a prospect or two for picksfuture considerations. We also have a few players

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

we got rid of Fraser.

thus we won handily.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Harti's produced a bit better than I thought in the AHL:

2010/11 (20): 66gms, 17gls, 42pts (82gms, 21gls, 52pts) ------- NHL: 12gms, 3gls, 5pts (82gms, 21gls, 34pts)
2011/12 (21): 51gms, 14gls, 32pts (82gms, 23gls, 52pts) ------- NHL: 17gms, 2gls, 5pts (82gms, 10gls, 24pts)
2012/13 (22): 47gms, 14gls, 37pts (82gms, 24gls, 65pts) ------- NHL: 23gms, 1gls, 3pts (82gms, 4gls, 11pts)

Career Totals: 164gms, 45gls, 111pts (82gms, 23gls, 56pts) ---- NHL: 52gms, 6gls, 13pts (82gms, 10gls, 21pts)

He profiles similarly to Carter Ashton, actually - maybe even a touch better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the oilers got a player who couldn't even crack the marlies starting lineup.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I don't think he's better than Nik or Leo, at this point.

He does seem to produce a little bit though.

From the same town as Jokinen (Olli) and Timmonen

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i wonder if Barb Underhill can improve Harti's skating. If so he *might* be a decent bottom six'er. Getting rid of Fraser's contract is a win

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
the oilers got a player who couldn't even crack the marlies starting lineup.

Fraser was a soldier last year. But he's sustained a couple of major injuries since then rendering him ineffective. If he's able to get his legs back he'll be a fine addition to the Oilers weak D group

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Wish him the best.

He was never the same after his injury, which isn't surprising because he fractured his skull. Hope he can regain his form over in Edmonton.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Leafs will win this deal the moment Harikeinen plays his first game for the leafs--he is a good two way FW who left Edmonton for Europe due to the fact he did not like how when his development was going in Edmonton. When the oilers called him up he was on the 4th line playing under 8 minutes a game most nights.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Hope Harti can develop into something for you guys, he's a big boy. He wasn't a fan of playing 3rd-4th line minutes in the NHL as far as his development was concerned, said he didn't mind playing top minutes in the AHL though. I hope he can shake that attitude about needing to play on the top 2 lines, because he would be an extremely effective 3rd liner in the future if he can become consistent .

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I find it hilarious that Abney was drafted in the third round (#82) just 4 years ago and he has never scored more then 7 goals and 20 points per season in the WHL, and he did that career year as an overager. Before that he couldn't muster more then 3 goals and 7 points. Ouuuuuch. And we thought we had it bad with our top 90 picks.

You're telling me he never really panned out. I thought having a 3rd round pick was guaranteed gold?

Isn't that the party line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad