Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Cameron Abney and Teemu Hartikainen.

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
You guys dont realize it yet but u almost got Komarov vol 2 in Hartikainen. He was one of the last players cut from our olympic squad and is really good bottom line player.

Thanks for the input. I endorsed Scrivens on the Edmonton HF boards when they acquired him...and the rest is history!

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
You guys are going to love Hartikainen oilers missed used him

Exactly !

Every oiler fan I know was so huge on this kid even after his production slipped in the nhl. I hope and believe this was a case of horrible asset management. Much like paajarvi, given time to develop their game it could very well of been a very different story.

I hope Hart stays over in the khl for next season as well and then is ready to giver a go again in the nhl, and has a more rounded game. He is having a good season in the khl, and given time he could be a huge pick up.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I know Harty and i can say that you guys just performed HIGH WAY ROBBERY. Harty and Komarov in the same line will be a amazing...

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Hatikainen was very misused player in Oilers as almost all of them. his speed is very underrated and his strenght is for real. He will be 3/4 liner for toronto for years

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hatikainen was very misused player in Oilers as almost all of them. his speed is very underrated and his strenght is for real. He will be 3/4 liner for toronto for years

He played on a line with RNH/Eberle and was getting #1PP duties for most of his last stint with the Oilers.

He was given every chance to succeed and he managed 3 points in 23 games.

He wasn't misused. He just wasn't an NHLer.

Oct 15, 2008

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but if you REALLY want to know what Hartikainen is like, well, I was a big fan, but the guy never put it together. He had a spot there for the taking but he never elevated his game or played with any intensity. It was like he just didnt care.

He is NOT fast. In fact he is quite slow. He is a big crasher banger type with some offensive skill. He has a knack for scoring goals but rarely if ever showed it at the nhl level. He likely wasnt coming back to NA to play for Edmonton ever, so hopefully he makes the most of his opportunity this time if he gets one with the Leafs.

Abney is junk and will never make it. He is in the ECHL right now in his third or fourth year pro.

This is basically a no risk deal for either team. Fraser gets the rest of the year to try out for the Oilers. If both the team and the player have a positive experience, perhaps they can agree on a new deal going forward. If not, no biggie.

The Leafs get some cap space, perhaps they choose to use it to add at the deadline to make a run in the playoffs, and they get a prospect who could turn into something, but is pretty much a longshot.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Meh, not too high on Hartikainen, and who knows if he even comes back from the KHL, but Fraser was wasted cap space for us. He's a decent bottom pairing dman though for a team with less depth, should do OK in Edmonton.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
Hartikainen did the right thing when he left to KHL. He has seen the AHL and it's difficult to develop in NHL if you play 10 minutes per game in 4th line. In KHL he gets more TOI and it's not just dump&chase. I'm sure that he'll be better player after few years in KHL. It's another question if he wants to return to NHL. I guess he'd want at least a one-way-contract. But does he even want to be an NHL grinder again?

Komarov may return to NHL at some point, but if he feels that he can't make his way to top lines, he'll likely return to Moscow, where he can play bigger minutes on larger ice. He's paid well enough there and the fans love him. Stanley Cup definitely is the ultimate prize for North Americans, but Europeans think a bit differently.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Raymond* - Bolland - Clarkson
Ashton - McClement - Bodie
Orr, Holland

Gunner - Phaneuf
Gleason - Franson*
Gardiner - Rielly
Ranger

Bernier
Reimer *

Not here then they are sent down/traded/waived

* are the ones I think have a chance to be moved.

Raymond because I just don't see him as a good fit on our bottom 6, a guy like Bodie/Holland could do just as good as a job. Could be a chance to get a different asset (a 2nd?).

Franson, because Loiselle stated today that they could trade him right now if they wanted too. If between now and March 5th, Carlyle looks at Franson and says "He can be replaced" or "Not liking his game" "costing us too much" (goal against wise) then we could see him moved. Probably not likely.

Reimer, probably won't happen, but you never know. Don't see him here in September, but doubt he gets moved before the deadline. But who knows, if a team makes the right offer

That would be great, but seems unlikely. Doesn't he have just a one year contract? So a mediocre player with some holes in his game that is a rental for a 2nd?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but if you REALLY want to know what Hartikainen is like, well, I was a big fan, but the guy never put it together. He had a spot there for the taking but he never elevated his game or played with any intensity. It was like he just didnt care.

He is NOT fast. In fact he is quite slow. He is a big crasher banger type with some offensive skill. He has a knack for scoring goals but rarely if ever showed it at the nhl level. He likely wasnt coming back to NA to play for Edmonton ever, so hopefully he makes the most of his opportunity this time if he gets one with the Leafs.

Abney is junk and will never make it. He is in the ECHL right now in his third or fourth year pro.

This is basically a no risk deal for either team. Fraser gets the rest of the year to try out for the Oilers. If both the team and the player have a positive experience, perhaps they can agree on a new deal going forward. If not, no biggie.

The Leafs get some cap space, perhaps they choose to use it to add at the deadline to make a run in the playoffs, and they get a prospect who could turn into something, but is pretty much a longshot.

Pretty much in a nutshell. Neither team gave up anything they couldn't afford to

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
At least I have heard of Hartikainen. Saw him play against the Marlies after his draft year. It was only one game but he stood out. Some good ways, some bad. He was on the puck in the offensive zone, controlled the puck often, dictated play instead of chasing it but couldn't finish. Pretty much what most oiler fans are saying. Unfulfilled Potential.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Really pumped we got Hartikainen. Suprised Edmonton would move him.

Drafted by Edmonton Oilers- round 6 #163 overall 2008 NHL Entry Draft

Oilers have made a lot of draft picks over the past 5 drafts during their rebuilding process and Teemu was a later round pick that had returned to Europe.

What the Oilers need is some instant help.

Leafs traded a prospect Dale Mitchell originally for Mark Fraser and now got one in return here to add back into the prospect pool.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So happy with this trade. We move Fraser, who has become beyond useless and was replaced by the far superior play of Gleason, and we get a possible future bottom 6 player in the Hartikainen. Can't complain about this deal at all. Edmonton gets some toughness, but I really wonder if it's the type they need. They need a guy who can play and fight. They just got the defense version of Colton Orr.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Good luck to Mark, good soldier for the club. Will remember Fraser vs Aulie and the puck to the skull. Tough guy!

Excellent move by Nonis to not take any salary back. I don't really care if either "prospects" play a game for the Leafs, although Teemu is a little intriguing.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Watching the Edmonton game today, he started on the #1 pairing and after the first is...
5th in ice time among D men, and 2nd/3rd among even strength ice time. Looked good so far

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Leafs traded a prospect Dale Mitchell originally for Mark Fraser and now got one in return here to add back into the prospect pool.

Excellent interview with Dale Mitchell on Thursdays "Marek vs Wyshynski" podcast. He was on the San Franscico ECHL team that just folded, said the situation was like something out of "Slapshot". He also said the best organization hes been a part of in his career was the Marlies. Compared to all is jr teams, minor pro North American leagues, and european leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad