Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire C Kellan Lain from Vancouver for Will Acton

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Lain is a decent bottom-six prospect. He owns a massive frame.

He was a sought-after UFA in college (I think the same year that guys like Sustr were signed) and he has played decently with the Canucks.

He got his first NHL fight in that line brawl against Calgary last year.

The acquisition of Shawn Matthias made him expendable, but he has some upside. Template of Brian Boyle, I guess.

I have a tough time calling a 25 year old a prospect.

Meaningless deal, don't care either way.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He was a questionable signing in the first place. Only the people in this organization could fail to see the challenges and possible draw backs of bringing in a bottom end player who is the son of a coach and trying to shoe horn him into the lineup over and over again. It was a recipe for disaster and that's how it played out. It must of been extremely uncomfortable for Will Acton and he's probably thrilled to be gone. Just a dumb signing. Keegan Lowe at least had the sense to ask his dad not to draft him or he may have had to endure it too. These guys just don't see nepotism as any kind of problem.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
No idea what Lain is all about, but the fact that we'll have to look elsewhere for our next C call-up is worth it for me. The fact that Acton was on the last 2 opening day rosters is pretty sad.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Well there you have it fellas, there's our big trade to calm down the masses.

But I ain't complaining, Acton is garbage. Good riddance.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
well, like ma old man always says.....if you can't beat em, join em! Welcome Kevin Lain to your worst nightmare. Prepare to lose if you get called up

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lain is a decent bottom-six prospect. He owns a massive frame.

He was a sought-after UFA in college (I think the same year that guys like Sustr were signed) and he has played decently with the Canucks.

The acquisition of Shawn Matthias made him expendable, but he has some upside. Template of Brian Boyle, I guess.

Lain can't skate. Has the turning radius of a battleship and is a marginal AHL player as a result and has been a healthy scratch this year. He's basically junk.

Edmonton probably gets the worse player but it's still a 'win' for unloading the nepotism situation.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Lain can't skate. Has the turning radius of a battleship and is a marginal AHL player as a result and has been a healthy scratch this year. He's basically junk.

Edmonton probably gets the worse player but it's still a 'win' for unloading the nepotism situation.
Lain is garbage and can't even put up points in the AHL.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Lain is a decent bottom-six prospect.

Not really.

He owns a massive frame.

He does.

He was a sought-after UFA in college (I think the same year that guys like Sustr were signed)

Mildly, yes, there were a few teams interested.

and he has played decently with the Canucks.

He's barely played. He averaged 5mins of ice time in his short stint with the Canucks. He warmed the bench decently I suppose.

It was his first game too. I believe he may have a record for shortest NHL debut, 2 seconds.

The acquisition of Shawn Matthias made him expendable, but he has some upside.

Umm, no, Lain was not that high on the depth chart. Matthias and Lain aren't even in the same planet let alone competing for the same position.

Template of Brian Boyle, I guess.

In your wildest fantasies maybe, he's a bottom 6 AHL player and that's about it. Has little to no finish, isn't a great skater; really shouldn't see NHL ice unless you're absolutely decimated by injuries and I wouldn't want him playing any meaningful minutes. The only thing he has in common with Boyle is size, which is a rather useless attribute on it's own.

This is an AHL trade, at least I hope it is, for your sakes.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
This might have been more about getting Acton away from the Oilers, although if Nelson wanted size, that makes sense. Or something.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Also, apparently we traded Mitch Holmberg to Vancouver...

http://okcbarons.com/index.cfm?fa=p...cle&guid=BC75964F-E4C1-4E1D-A11D-309A9D26AFEA

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@okcbarons 27m27 minutes ago
#OKCBarons trade F Mitch Holmberg to @UticaComets. #EdmontonOilers acquire Kellan Lain from #vancanucks

:facepalm:

Mitch Holmberg wasn't even technically Oilers property. He was OKC property and wasn't even hacking it in the ECHL. He wont be Canucks property now. He'll be Utica Comets property.

freedomisamyth

Nov 10, 2010

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
So the Canucks left town with 2 points AND Acton? I call that a wash then....

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Hes the kid that spent dough getting family and friends to his first nhl game and because of torts..he played two full seconds and got ejected.
Lots of the nucks dressing room were p,o'ed about it.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
p7vsu.jpg

MacT solves #2 Center!!! :laugh:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
This mean that they blame the Actons for all the misery, Senior next to go! The other clowns in the org sits safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad