Oilers 9-8-2 under Hitchcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
And you obviously only watched the hilight pack...
100% he watched highlights only lol, 97 was ALL OVER the ice. I like Kassian's game this year. Oil played a great hockey game. Solid forecheck, tight gaps, solid team toughness. Koskinen is unbeatable in EDM. They're playing like a team now. Good for them. It was a back-to-back for CGY but EDM didn't sit back too much and stayed on their toes throughout. The score doesn't tell the entire story.

Reactions: McSpecial Blend

snag

Feb 22, 2014
100% he watched highlights only lol, 97 was ALL OVER the ice. I like Kassian's game this year. Oil played a great hockey game. Solid forecheck, tight gaps, solid team toughness. Koskinen is unbeatable in EDM. They're playing like a team now. Good for them. It was a back-to-back for CGY but EDM didn't sit back too much and stayed on their toes throughout. The score doesn't tell the entire story.

Considering we bought our tickets at a charity auction....naturally overpaying by a substantial margin for the cause....we were quite happy with the game tonight :) If there is a star to be criticized tonight, it is Johnny.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
This shows that if you don't have a team full of superstars like the Peguins or my Leafs, the coach is the most important guy. A good coach can get a team like the Oilers into the playoffs, while the Penguins and my Leafs could be coached by a literal potato and still make the playoffs.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not surprised for the next year and a half this will work. It's after that it will go down in flames but he's teaching the young players that will serve them well in the future

I cant believe it took 20 posts to read this.

We have to assume that hitch will have a solid start to his tenure, because that's what hitch has always done in the beginning.

This coaching move was done by Ciarelli, to try and make the playoffs this year, and perhaps buy himself some time.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Hitch can coach them to a playoff spot, but some serious additions to the blueline need to happen to make the Oilers a real contender. McDavid needs a true offensive defenseman to compliment him.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Will crash down soon. Can’t keep winning 1-0 2-1 while having goals against not count every night. Calgary was tired and banged up. Oilers had 5 pps. When goaltending finally regresses to normal levels they will hit a wall and hard
If any team crashes it will be Calgary. Playing above their heads bigtime.

Reactions: McSavedUs

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
He’s always had a positive impact, but then the inevitable expiry date.

Not trying to rain on the parade, because obviously this is good for the Oil right now.
I agree he does have a expire date. But in the meantime he’s teaching this core how to play defence and win. That is a lesson not to be forgotten.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Good on the Oil here. It's not very fun hockey to watch from a fan perspective, but I think it's necessary for the Oilers to play this way to win. Their lack of skill on lines 2-4 really prevents them from playing with pace for 60 minutes.

I think they could even make playoffs the way they have been going, but it has to be concerning that they could only get one goal on the Flames. McDavid was invisible all night except for the goal.

Flames were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights and a back to back missing their shutdown center and number 1 d man.

Still an uphill battle, but I think they have chance. I don't believe Hitch is a long term solution in Edmonton though.
McDavid was what. Lol. Guess he didn’t have a crossbar. Had dangerous rushes. Played great D. Maybe you were thinking Drai.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
As a Flames fan, I hope the Oilers turn a corner and become a good team. I would love for a heated and relevant rivalry to spark up again.... As long as the Flames come out on top
Ohhh I think the the BOA is alive and well. History will repeat itself and Calgary goes home disappointed

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This shows that if you don't have a team full of superstars like the Peguins or my Leafs, the coach is the most important guy. A good coach can get a team like the Oilers into the playoffs, while the Penguins and my Leafs could be coached by a literal potato and still make the playoffs.

You realize the Penguins are struggling with a potato as coach this year, right?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Pretty sure a lot of the analytics say the Flames are legit. It's not like the 2014-15 Flames.

Pretty sure the Flames aren't going to have 5 players scoring 80+ points at the end of the year.

They are a solid team for sure but they will hit some scoring droughts at some points.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Most teams go on runs with a mid season coaching change, they will probably crash back to earth and not be on the lucky side of 1 goal games within a month. Still think he will be better for them then tmac though.

Evanc23

Nov 20, 2018
Glad the Oilers are doing well. It was getting annoying having everyone rip on them to make themselves feel better about their own teams lack of success

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
I watched the whole game too, I mean mcdavid had 7 min of power play ice time alone and only managed 5 shots all game. For him that is a pretty quiet night. At least the called back goal and amount of power plays should cause some tin foil hats to come off in edmonton. Guess the NHL isn't purposely trying to make edmonton lose anymore :naughty:

All in good fun!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Good for them. Doesn't shock me they are getting better results without McLellan.
McLellan was a terrible coach, McLellan once led the presidents trophy Sharks in 08-09 to a 1st round loss to a 8th seed Randy Carlyle team.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Did I miss something? He really didn't stand out at all like he does in most games. Especially considering he didn't have Backlund glued to his hip or wasn't facing Giordano.

Not that he was bad or anything, Just a very pedestrian game for him from my perspective. What did he do that stood out to you?

Giordano isnt much of a factor against McDavid in the same way Doughty isnt. They stop him sometimes and the majority of the time they just try to keep him to the outside...

No look pass from his knees. Twice he took two flames forward to the blueline allowing a good chance on net. Multiple zone entries right through the middle. He completely went around somebody in the first and Quidditch had a nice poke check. Crossbar from the slot, and he was quite good on the pp but we couldnt get anything past their "backup" in usual fashion. Multiple nice takeaways in the neutral zone.

He was far from invisible, he was a beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad