Oilers 9-8-2 under Hitchcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
He’s always had a positive impact, but then the inevitable expiry date.

Not trying to rain on the parade, because obviously this is good for the Oil right now.

8LX7psQ

Apr 13, 2010
Will crash down soon. Can’t keep winning 1-0 2-1 while having goals against not count every night. Calgary was tired and banged up. Oilers had 5 pps. When goaltending finally regresses to normal levels they will hit a wall and hard
Oilers should have had 10 pps the way the Tkachuk was playing. Not that they would have helped.

Reactions: ujju2

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Will this thread be posted each time Oil win a game? Gotta update that Hitch record.

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Good on the Oil here. It's not very fun hockey to watch from a fan perspective, but I think it's necessary for the Oilers to play this way to win. Their lack of skill on lines 2-4 really prevents them from playing with pace for 60 minutes.

I think they could even make playoffs the way they have been going, but it has to be concerning that they could only get one goal on the Flames. McDavid was invisible all night except for the goal.

Flames were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights and a back to back missing their shutdown center and number 1 d man.

Still an uphill battle, but I think they have chance. I don't believe Hitch is a long term solution in Edmonton though.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
imo they haven't really looked that good but their goaltending is better and there is more structure .

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Good on the Oil here. It's not very fun hockey to watch from a fan perspective, but I think it's necessary for the Oilers to play this way to win. Their lack of skill on lines 2-4 really prevents them from playing with pace for 60 minutes.

I think they could even make playoffs the way they have been going, but it has to be concerning that they could only get one goal on the Flames. McDavid was invisible all night except for the goal.

Flames were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights and a back to back missing their shutdown center and number 1 d man.

Still an uphill battle, but I think they have chance. I don't believe Hitch is a long term solution in Edmonton though.

Lol invisible. Turn on the TV next time

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Lol invisible. Turn on the TV next time

Did I miss something? He really didn't stand out at all like he does in most games. Especially considering he didn't have Backlund glued to his hip or wasn't facing Giordano.

Not that he was bad or anything, Just a very pedestrian game for him from my perspective. What did he do that stood out to you?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Will crash down soon. Can’t keep winning 1-0 2-1 while having goals against not count every night. Calgary was tired and banged up. Oilers had 5 pps. When goaltending finally regresses to normal levels they will hit a wall and hard

What are you basing that off of though? Their goaltenders have not had to stand on their heads and stop 40+ shots a night. They don't get a lot, but they don't give up a lot either. It's the Hitchcock way. As long as everyone buys in and works hard, they can be in any game they play. A far cry before with their old coach.

Reactions: karnige and ujju2

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
What are you basing that off of though? Their goaltenders have not had to stand on their heads and stop 40+ shots a night. They don't get a lot, but they don't give up a lot either. It's the Hitchcock way. As long as everyone buys in and works hard, they can be in any game they play. A far cry before with their old coach.
Um basing it
Off the oilers goaltenders aren’t gonna shatter records and finish with a .950 save percentage this year. It will regress eventually. And they don’t have the scoring to handle even slight regression

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Um basing it
Off the oilers goaltenders aren’t gonna shatter records and finish with a .950 save percentage this year. It will regress eventually. And they don’t have the scoring to handle even slight regression

no one is saying their goaltending will shatter any records. Right now their play is a bonus. They don't have be vezina like, just good enough to keep the team in games. As for scoring goals it's a struggle for sure with how thin their roster is. But we don't know for sure if that will continue. They are getting chances. A lot actually. More than their opponents every game. They just can't finish.

How much they regress remains to be seen. As long as they continue to work hard, follow the system and play for each other they will stay in hockey games. And that's all you can ask for as a fan.

Reactions: karnige

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s always had a positive impact, but then the inevitable expiry date.

Not trying to rain on the parade, because obviously this is good for the Oil right now.

The inevitable expiry date that happens after 4 or 5 seasons of continued winning? Which is still longer and more successful than most coaches runs in the NHL. I'll take it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Did I miss something? He really didn't stand out at all like he does in most games. Especially considering he didn't have Backlund glued to his hip or wasn't facing Giordano.

Not that he was bad or anything, Just a very pedestrian game for him from my perspective. What did he do that stood out to you?
He looked less Pedestrian than Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk and the crew. It was a tight checking game.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
He looked less Pedestrian than Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk and the crew. It was a tight checking game.

It really was. I don't really think any of the players you mentioned stood out. Gaudreau had a couple of nice moves to open up the ice, but didn't do anything with it. I think they all looked fairly pedestrian, McDavid included.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Didn't he ring one off the bottom section of the cross bar in the third? Very close to a 2 goal night. He was the best forward on the ice for either team.

Reactions: onetweasy

snag

Feb 22, 2014

And you obviously only watched the hilight pack...

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Didn't he ring one off the bottom section of the cross bar in the third? Very close to a 2 goal night. He was the best forward on the ice for either team.

Shit, he coulda score 3 in the first. Drai also rang four feeds off of the iron. McDavid had a very good night, imo. Especially the first period, had a number of 1v5 coast to coast plays that Rittich either robbed him on or he hit the post.

Reactions: onetweasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad