Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4, Blue Jackets 1

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lol...Benning stabilizing Russell.
Its interesting to me how very few posters recognize the difference between Russell playing on his off side and Russell playing on his proper side.
Russell playing on the left side is a much better dman than Benning.

original.gif

Reactions: npanciroli

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Its interesting to me how very few posters recognize the difference between Russell playing on his off side and Russell playing on his proper side.

I will respectfully disagree on Russell, the only thing that he really does is block shots TBH. I do not see a 4 million dollar a year guy in him. I hope he(and Benning for that matter) are here to buy time for our young guys coming up. Jones, Sammy, Bouchard, Bear, Broberg and Nurse are the future here.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I remember liking Sekera on the right side his first year.

2016-2017 he got to play on the left side and was 10 times better.

The more I watch lefties on their off side the more I think it should be avoided at all costs.

I'm curious if any defenseman plays as well or better on their off side.

Reactions: guymez

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I’m guessing with Persson back Lagesson will be heading back to the Bake? Too bad, would like to see him get some game time.

Reactions: ujju2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I will respectfully disagree on Russell, the only thing that he really does is block shots TBH. I do not see a 4 million dollar a year guy in him. I hope he(and Benning for that matter) are here to buy time for our young guys coming up. Jones, Sammy, Bouchard, Bear, Broberg and Nurse are the future here.

I am not at all a Benning hater but lets be honest here...Benning has never stabilized any other D on this team.
Its always been a question of who is best suited to support Benning.

In terms of Russells salary...thats a completely different discussion.

Reactions: fresh meat

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The more I watch lefties on their off side the more I think it should be avoided at all costs.

Its a tough ask for sure. I cant think of any off the top of my head.

I think this is Russells last year with the team and hopefully he plays on the left side for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Aerchon

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Maybe Caleb Jones? He did play most of last season on his off side in Bako iirc. There's definitely a higher profile NHLer who I'm forgetting here.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I am not at all a Benning hater but lets be honest here...Benning has never stabilized any other D on this team.
Its always been a question of who is best suited to support Benning.

In terms of Russells salary...thats a completely different discussion.

I dunno, Benning has been a plus player every year(yeah I know a flawed stat) but honestly he has done that with so many bad teams here, I am not saying Benning is all world but he is not the dumpster fire many think he is. I just know that with my own eyes that Russell has been a liability out there this year, unless Benning is there with him.

When I say "stabilize" I don't think it is really anything to do with Benning, I think Russell simplifies his game with Benning is all, with Klefbom I had the feeling that Russell felt like he had to try to move the puck like him, not his strength. With Benning his routine is "get the puck out and keep it out of the net". He is far more suited to a bottom pair with the right partner at this stage. I would not be opposed to Larrson playing the bottom pair with Russell when he gets back.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I dunno, Benning has been a plus player every year(yeah I know a flawed stat) but honestly he has done that with so many bad teams here, I am not saying Benning is all world but he is not the dumpster fire many think he is. I just know that with my own eyes that Russell has been a liability out there this year, unless Benning is there with him.

When I say "stabilize" I don't think it is really anything to do with Benning, I think Russell simplifies his game with Benning is all, with Klefbom I had the feeling that Russell felt like he had to try to move the puck like him, not his strength. With Benning his routine is "get the puck out and keep it out of the net". He is far more suited to a bottom pair with the right partner at this stage. I would not be opposed to Larrson playing the bottom pair with Russell when he gets back.

The thing is when Russell plays with Klefbom there are 2 factors in play...first that Russell's quality of competition goes up dramatically. He goes from playing against the other teams 3rd and 4th line players to the other teams best players.
Thats putting Russell in a position to fail.
Secondly he plays on the right side when he plays with Klefbom. So that means that every retrieval from the D zone involves him playing on his backhand.
I think Russell is a bottom pairing dman that can occasionally sub in on the 2nd pairing at best.

Bennings issue is that he doesnt process the game quick enough so that when he doesnt have a vet Dman beside him (who is in the right place) he is overwhelmed and makes massive mistakes.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Russell/Klefbom does not work. Both need someone responsible in their own end. Klef looked 100% better with Pearsson. Russell is dead weight IMO, and Benning is better than many give him credit for, he stabilized Russell IMO.

Icing the puck every time you touch it isn't what I'd really call stability.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Icing the puck every time you touch it isn't what I'd really call stability.

It is better than watching Russell hold on to the puck for too long while second guessing where to pass it and getting locked into his own end.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

He didn't say anything of him being worth 4 million. He said he shelters Benning. I think this much is obvious.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Persson is holding his own really well for a 7 NHL games veteran. 108 games ago he was still in the Swede Div 1 league

Reactions: Oilhawks

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Persson is holding his own really well for a 7 NHL games veteran. 108 games ago he was still in the Swede Div 1 league

To clarify for any Oilers fans not in the know: The (confusingly named) Division 1 is actually the third highest level of Swedish hockey; Trailing the SHL and the Allsvenskan.
It's nearly as incoherent as the naming conventions of English football :laugh:

Reactions: LaGu

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
An interesting thing; Tippett usually starts PK's with Klef and Russel and keeps them out there for 45 seconds to a minute and then brings Nurse + Bear out but usually switches them out after 30ish seconds if they get a clear.

Not sure why. So far this season both Nurse and Bear have been much more effective penalty killers.

Maybe somebody can dig up the stats and see which defensive pair has been on the ice for the goals against on the PK but it feels like almost all of them have come against Klefbom and Russell.

Make sure to keep in mind which defenders are up against PP1 and who is up against PP2.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Problem that I’m seeing with Benning is that he’s a RFA that’s currently making 1.9M and isn’t capable of playing any higher than 3rd pairing minutes. He’s about to be overpaid for what he brings.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I'd argue it's closer to equally bad than better haha.

All I know is that when Benning is on the ice the puck does not go into our net reguardless of his partner(hence the good +/- every year), with Russell on the ice he will inevitably not clear the puck out when he has a chance and spend the rest of the shift playing(or flopping on the ice trying to block shots) in our end.

Fact - Benning puts up as many points or more than Russell and the entire time maintains the better plus/minus and is 2 million cheaper to boot.

Does not matter though as I do not think that either will be here next season, we have cheaper options for our bottom pairing then those two.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
He can move the puck better than anyone not named Bear in our defense, that's why people like him

That makes sense because I know people on here over value breakout passing and under value defensive acumen.

Persson's Achilles heel of not being able to skate backwards nor pivot is going to kill him because teams will start to scout out and exploit it soon. It's barely an issue right now but it's going to become a bigger thing over time, I'm calling this one now for a future atoadasoe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad