Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4, Blue Jackets 1

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Eating crow. Mmmmmmmm.

Good game. Glad Khaira got an easy one. See what happens when you go to the net?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hmmm...just this morning we were having a discussion and you stated that Khaira didnt deserve to be on the 2nd line.

Now he is a 2nd liner...you have come a long ways in 12 hours. ;)

Speaking of which I remember a few games ago I suggested that maybe Khaira should get a shot on the second line with Nuge, and everyone wanted him scratched and thought I was crazy... I hate to say "I told you so," but... hell, who am I kidding, I love saying that. ;)

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
The trend here is really good, but it's a little scary that the 2011-12 team was 9-3-2 through the first fourteen. After that, they went 23-37-8 and missed the playoffs by 21 points.

That team started off hot due to insane goaltending by Khabibulin. We all knew it wouldn't last.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Smith was mad at himself for letting the goal in. He felt he should have had it. Had nothing to do with Granlund.

No he was pissed at Granlund. I was at the game and was 3 rows up from Granlund and Smith on that end facing Smith. Smith looked right at him. Granlund completely screened him and also never attempted to block the shot.

Reactions: nally and Aerchon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is this the new reformed Guymez?

Interesting. :D

Great win.

Persson is perfect.

Nothing wrong with your memory. :D

Yes...I was definitely one of the non believers during the dark days back when Tambo was in charge.
Can you blame me? :)

I tried really hard to give Chia a chance... probably over optimistic. No...definitely over optimistic. :nod:

With Holland though there are plenty of reasons to believe that he can turn the team around. Hiring Tippett was huge IMO. The Neal trade...well...that speaks for itself.
Holland is his own man....I like that.

I just call it as I see it and I like the direction this team is going now.
Besides...being a positive fan is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than being a miserable fan. Especially now that we have something to be positive about. :nod:

Last edited:

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
I liked Persson in this game, I thought he was relatively calm and poised with the puck mostly. One thing I did notice was on a play in the third where he had the puck and had the option of passing to McDavid just over the blue line, but turned back around instead. McDavid slapped his stick on the ice 2 or 3 times in frustration over not getting that pass. I hope that doesn't manifest itself into anything more than just that one play during that one game.

Reactions: harpoon

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Didn't get a chance to watch the game last night, but its nice to see some depth guys getting some points. Gotta keep it coming!

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Drai is no doubt a better 200ft player, but McDavid's offense is leaps n bounds ahead of Drai.

The beautie thing of having both though, is they can push eachother to get better in practice.

I remember years ago watching a lil documentary about Gretzky n the early years of the Oilers, n a big topic in it is that Kurri, Gretzky, Messier, Anderson etc all pushed eachother pretty hard in their practices.

Im feeling the same vibes between Drai n McDavid

Some of us older posters will remember arguing who was the better all round player between Gretzky and Messier many years ago. This is starting to play out the same way.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Persson not so good today in my opinion. OK, but not great.

i thought he looked great, but more important is how much better Klef looks with him vs Russel
Also Russel looks wayyyyy better with Benning than with Klef.

I was looking back at some old games for Ethan Bear's PK stats (only 1 GA on the PK in about 20 min)
Pretty much every other PK goal against was Russel Klefbom.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
i thought he looked great, but more important is how much better Klef looks with him vs Russel

I was looking back at some old games for Ethan Bear's PK stats (only 1 GA on the PK in about 20 min)
I like Persson's aggressiveness, hopefully he doesn't get burned with it.

I agree on Russell. Benning pissed me off yesterday though. Some bad decisions with the puck. Usually I rarely notice him, but a couple times he dumped the puck out for no really reason. Had lots of time to make a play and throws it to the other blueline where three Jackets were. I can understand your bottom pairing making poor decision under pressure, but when there is no one near you other than your own guys you need to take a look around.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

An interesting thing; Tippett usually starts PK's with Klef and Russel and keeps them out there for 45 seconds to a minute and then brings Nurse + Bear out but usually switches them out after 30ish seconds if they get a clear.

Not sure why. So far this season both Nurse and Bear have been much more effective penalty killers.

Maybe somebody can dig up the stats and see which defensive pair has been on the ice for the goals against on the PK but it feels like almost all of them have come against Klefbom and Russell.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

Russell/Klefbom does not work. Both need someone responsible in their own end. Klef looked 100% better with Pearsson. Russell is dead weight IMO, and Benning is better than many give him credit for, he stabilized Russell IMO.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Giggling Draisaitl for the main boards.

7HLPjUt.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Russell/Klefbom does not work. Both need someone responsible in their own end. Klef looked 100% better with Pearsson. Russell is dead weight IMO, and Benning is better than many give him credit for, he stabilized Russell IMO.

Lol...Benning stabilizing Russell.
Its interesting to me how very few posters recognize the difference between Russell playing on his off side and Russell playing on his proper side.
Russell playing on the left side is a much better dman than Benning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad