Oilers 4 Avalanche 3

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
Schultz is playing 22 minutes a night. We all agree that he is not a 22 minute d-man. But its not his fault that he's being miscast as a top pairing d-man. Its the goofs upstairs that cant evaluate talent properly.
The scary part is that supposed "forensic" scoff scoff audit that is being done when clearly management and most of the staff will not be affected whatsoever. So in other words things are just going swimmingly as long as Katz keeps up the cash flow. There are times I am frustrated with the players but really has this organization done anything of note to build a successful franchise. The results speak for themselves.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
If you take the one PP out, every dman played close to the same minutes other than Aulie, Klefbom played the most.

With Klefbom, Aulie, Schultz, Marincin, Nikitin...what choices do you really have on minutes.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Would help, if good ol MacT didn't bring out the norris crap.

True, but you can't fault the player just because the GM is a moron.

The Oilers problem on D isn't that Schultz and Klefbom suck. It's that the GM doesn't see that they aren't top pairing guys. Any team in the league that had those two guys would be ecstatic if they could play them behind a legit top pairing.

We don't need to trade Schultz or Klefbom. We need to add players that push them down the depth charts.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
It's funny...if I were to judge Schultz strictly by his stats line without watching the game, I would've thought Schultz had a half decent game; an even +/- after over 25 minutes of icetime, 7 shots directed towards the net with 4 on goal, and 5 blocked shots. At face value, that's a decent night's work.

Then I come on here and it's like he's Toby from The Office.

He made two very obvious mistakes near the end of the game and took a stupid penalty.

He's playing over his head obviously.

We get pissed because MacT said he had Norris potential once and then carry on to anoint Klefbom the next Duncan Keith.

I like Klef, and I used to absolutely hate Schultz but have come around since Nelson got behind the bench. People like that Klef gets a little heavier in board battles but the defensive decision making level on both these guys is equal and neither should be anywhere a top line.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think people are being too hard on on Schultz. He is being asked to do way too much. He didn't have a good game but if the Oilers had an actual top pairing he would be fine in a 3/4 role. The more I see people rag on him the more I am worried we are going to run him out of town. Then where are we? Do we play Nikitin 23+ min a game?

Glad they got the win. I am not super concerned even if they pass TO. The leafs will take Strome because they need a top C. So we are still left with Hanifin.

What if the Kings misses the playoffs and won the lottery and then we picked 5th overall after passing Toronto?

Yeah. I know. I'm just putting it out there. I love to help people lose sleep at night. :D

I wish I'd woken up early enough to watch this game. Always enjoy watching Yak put a point up.

I agree with your comment on Schultz. He's a decent PMD for your 2nd pairing and on some nights he's really good on the PP his only problem is that he's too indecisive when he decides to shoot the puck. I think that part of that comes from the fact that he doesn't like to use the slapshot from the point and those weak wristers he puts on the net are easy for the forward to deflect but also easy for the opposition to block... so he needs to feel he has a ton of space in the shooting lane for the puck to make it close enough to the net... I figure.

Who knows. Maybe he's just afraid to shoot the puck.

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
What also scares me is how they handle Klefbom next year. Defenseman can tend to have a drop off year once they become a regular and teams with good depth can shelter those shortcomings. As we can see with Schultz no one can help hide those hideous giveaways and terrible situational awareness.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
What if the Kings misses the playoffs and won the lottery and then we picked 5th overall after passing Toronto?

Yeah. I know. I'm just putting it out there. I love to help people lose sleep at night. :D

I wish I'd woken up early enough to watch this game. Always enjoy watching Yak put a point up.

I agree with your comment on Schultz. He's a decent PMD for your 2nd pairing and on some nights he's really good on the PP his only problem is that he's too indecisive when he decides to shoot the puck. I think that part of that comes from the fact that he doesn't like to use the slapshot from the point and those weak wristers he puts on the net are easy for the forward to deflect but also easy for the opposition to block... so he needs to feel he has a ton of space in the shooting lane for the puck to make it close enough to the net... I figure.

If the Oilers had a top 4 I don't think Schultz should be playing in it, he doesn't do anything particularly well and is prone to very dumb gaffes.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

If the kings miss the playoffs and win the lottery it won't matter what we do cause they would have the west wrapped up for a long time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Dont' get me wrong, I get what you're saying and his style of play can get on my last nerve sometimes.

I can't stop thinking though of how Tom Poti was similarly looked down upon by many Oiler fans during his latter days here for the exact same things like lacking in intensity and physicality, and it was only after he was gone and putting in 40+ point seasons with the Rangers and got out of the fishbowl that we came to regret it.

I don't know. I'm torn on him. Half of me wants to stuff him in a box without airholes, and the other half chides me for my impatience and wants to give him that 300 NHL games that dmen supposedly need.

:nod:

I get totally get this. That pretty much how I feel as well. Tom Poti is a very good comparison.

If I was in charge I would try surrounding him with better dmen so he could get butter soft minutes and lots of PP time before giving up on him.
He does have offensive talent...he just seems to 'zone out' sometimes and the opposition seems to know that.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Rishaug asking Taylor Hall about scoring tonight, his response

"I thought I showed alot of character with the way I put that in tonight" :laugh:

Is there something behind this? Did someone in the media say something about hall recently or is it just a jab at the cliche hockey interview/question period?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Is there something behind this? Did someone in the media say something about hall recently or is it just a jab at the cliche hockey interview/question period?

Twitter's #TaylorHallCharacterProblems . Not a jab at Hall, but at sportsnet panel. The tweets are sarcastic.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lander with 2 assists, 50%FO and over 20 minutes of ice time, the most of his NHL career.

I'm absolutely loving how he's forced his way back into the Oilers future plans. This quote from him says it all:

"You can work hard and show them they were wrong, or you can be a little kid and go back to Europe. I didn’t want to do that. I’m just not the kind of guy who gives up, and if I want something, I work really hard to get it."

This is a player we can go to war with in the playoffs, IF WE COULD EVER GET THERE. :laugh:

He is a beauty.
Very reliable player with a very high compete level.
One of the reasons I continue to watch the games.

He should be a very solid 3rd line Centre moving forward.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Good read.
Pretty much confirms what my eyes are seeing out there.

I just really wonder what it is the GM is seeing.
I have no idea how he can publically state that Shcultz has Norris potential....or that Nikitin is anywhere near the caliber expected of a top 4 dman.

How can anyone tell what MacT is seeing, the guy is blind obviously. I have no idea why he says such ridiculous things, but maybe its good we hear what he is thinking. After having said that, can you imagine what he is thinking that we haven't heard..heheh

I can't believe he and Lowe can stay around, it would correct so many things if they were sent packing. The Eakins hire was enough to get MacT skidded, and obviously Lowe approved (not to mention Lowe's other 100 mistakes, MacT being one of them).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He is a beauty.
Very reliable player with a very high compete level.
One of the reasons I continue to watch the games.

He should be a very solid 3rd line Centre moving forward.

This. If I'm MacT I lock him up for as long as I can as cheaply as I can this offseason.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How can anyone tell what MacT is seeing, the guy is blind obviously. I have no idea why he says such ridiculous things, but maybe its good we hear what he is thinking. After having said that, can you imagine what he is thinking that we haven't heard..heheh

I can't believe he and Lowe can stay around, it would correct so many things if they were sent packing. The Eakins hire was enough to get MacT skidded, and obviously Lowe approved (not to mention Lowe's other 100 mistakes, MacT being one of them).

Yup.

Dysfunctional right from the owner down through to the GM.

When I read the Willis article you posted I saw another one by Staples which was very telling.

He posted the points totals for every year Katz owned the team...worst in the NHL by a mile.

David Staples said:
Daryl Katz’s Edmonton Oilers in a league of their own when it comes to atrocious

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2015/03/25/daryl-katzs-edmonton-oilers-in-a-league-of-their-own-when-it-comes-to-atrocious/

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Yup.

Dysfunctional right from the owner down through to the GM.

When I read the Willis article you posted I saw another one by Staples which was very telling.

He posted the points totals for every year Katz owned the team...worst in the NHL by a mile.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2015/03/25/daryl-katzs-edmonton-oilers-in-a-league-of-their-own-when-it-comes-to-atrocious/

Yes, read that one this morning. It wasn't shocking to me :) we have lived through it, or in Lowe's words "the cycle".

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
:laugh: comment of the night so far

:D

Lander with 2 assists, 50%FO and over 20 minutes of ice time, the most of his NHL career.

I'm absolutely loving how he's forced his way back into the Oilers future plans. This quote from him says it all:

"You can work hard and show them they were wrong, or you can be a little kid and go back to Europe. I didn’t want to do that. I’m just not the kind of guy who gives up, and if I want something, I work really hard to get it."

This is a player we can go to war with in the playoffs, IF WE COULD EVER GET THERE. :laugh:

****in' eh man, what a boss. If Linus Omark had Lander's heart, he'd be one of the league's elite.

I think people are being too hard on on Schultz. He is being asked to do way too much. He didn't have a good game but if the Oilers had an actual top pairing he would be fine in a 3/4 role. The more I see people rag on him the more I am worried we are going to run him out of town. Then where are we? Do we play Nikitin 23+ min a game?

Glad they got the win. I am not super concerned even if they pass TO. The leafs will take Strome because they need a top C. So we are still left with Hanifin.

I'd much rather have some good defensemen, and push Schultz down the depth chart, and give him lots of PP time. I don't want to run Schultz out of town, but our idiot management thinks he's a top 4, probably top 2 dman. Unfortunately we're going to have to watch Schultz struggle to play consistently because of that.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes, read that one this morning. It wasn't shocking to me :) we have lived through it, or in Lowe's words "the cycle".

I think what surprised me was seeing an article like that in the Journal.

Good to see some of the local media finally calling out this 6 ring circus for what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad