Oilers 3rd Jersey Discussion

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Not a fan. They are very bland, the logo doesn't look right, just cant get into these. I waited to pass my judgement until I was able to see the whole outfit on the ice but very underwhelming IMO

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
At least it isn't this
8868596.jpg
dat Arial font tho

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I walked by them in southgate and thought they looked decent hanging on the wall. BUT on TVox it was too hard to tell.

It was like not every Sportsnet camera had the same settings.

Sometimes the contrast was jarring, sometimes it almost looked red, sometimes a softer orange, sometimes a bit metallic.

I would see a play and be analyzing the jerseys and then they show a replay and with the corner camera it looks like a fully different shade or orange

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
View attachment 266367

Finally seeing these in action. Here are my takeaways.

Positives -

They look very good up close. Especially the names and numbers on the back. I love how the light gives a ethereal feeling to the orange colour.
They definitely seem to work well in captured stills.
Everything up close works nicely, especially the blue contrast with the orange.

Negatives -

But unfortunately, I don't think the logo is appropriate for this particular jersey. For a minimalist design for the jersey, the oilers logo is too busy and it gets lost without any white to accent it. We still don't have a proper minimalist oiler logo to make it work.

One of the biggest things I noticed was watching them from afar. Everything that makes it work up close, is gone from a distance. It just seemed...off.
Doesn't really inspire much from game camera standpoint, and this is where you think some white would help but that would make it a totally different design.

Overall -
I liked the attempt at something new, and I hope they keep going down that path.
I don't think these jerseys are that bad but they aren't really that great either.
If they can design a jersey that will solve the negatives while keeping the positives that are already working.
We might see the best oiler jersey yet to come, but until then. Not bad.

The orange homes were fine the past few years but it's time to bring back the blue jerseys while they keep experimenting with the thirds.

I agree completely.
Close in shots and stills to me looked fantastic yet watching the game left a bit to be desired. Agree with another poster that said it reminded him of Buffalo.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
@Drivesaitl
Its just comments. I kind of bring the circus to town in my rant comments. I go a little over the top when I don't like something. ;)[/QUOTE]

What?????
No one in here ever noticed!

JK
Your passion is probably why you're so revered here!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Drivesaitl
Its just comments. I kind of bring the circus to town in my rant comments. I go a little over the top when I don't like something. ;)

What?????

JK
Your passion is probably why you're so revered here!
Revered? hah, and I'll this time I tried to be irreverent. ;)

Or my crickets would say Irrelevant.

critics ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
View attachment 266367

Finally seeing these in action. Here are my takeaways.

Positives -

They look very good up close. Especially the names and numbers on the back. I love how the light gives a ethereal feeling to the orange colour.
They definitely seem to work well in captured stills.
Everything up close works nicely, especially the blue contrast with the orange.

Negatives -

But unfortunately, I don't think the logo is appropriate for this particular jersey. For a minimalist design for the jersey, the oilers logo is too busy and it gets lost without any white to accent it. We still don't have a proper minimalist oiler logo to make it work.

One of the biggest things I noticed was watching them from afar. Everything that makes it work up close, is gone from a distance. It just seemed...off.
Doesn't really inspire much from game camera standpoint, and this is where you think some white would help but that would make it a totally different design.

Overall -
I liked the attempt at something new, and I hope they keep going down that path.
I don't think these jerseys are that bad but they aren't really that great either.
If they can design a jersey that will solve the negatives while keeping the positives that are already working.
We might see the best oiler jersey yet to come, but until then. Not bad.

The orange homes were fine the past few years but it's time to bring back the blue jerseys while they keep experimenting with the thirds.
Great post. I think a less busy version of the old Oilers McFarlane Oil Drop would be nice with this jersey.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
1st jersey i've bought since 2015. Absolutely love it, saw them debut it live, and it looked magnificent. They wear it 10 times this season, which should be the norm for alternates because they're expensive yearly purchases for fans, and we should be able to see it in action for more 4-5 games like previous seasons.
Fans all across social media love our alternates. All the top comments on each post is praise, with some going as far as voting it the best jersey of the season

McDavid, Nurse, and Neal have posted multiple pics of the jersey on social media since it was revealed. They probably like it infinitely better than the orange monstrosity that is the current main. I hope they come out with a similar design for next year's alternate

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Wasn't the biggest fan initially but they do look decent on the ice. Still not my favorite jersey by any means. For a third it's fine. Definitely different then any other teams.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I walked by them in southgate and thought they looked decent hanging on the wall. BUT on TVox it was too hard to tell.

It was like not every Sportsnet camera had the same settings.

Sometimes the contrast was jarring, sometimes it almost looked red, sometimes a softer orange, sometimes a bit metallic.

I would see a play and be analyzing the jerseys and then they show a replay and with the corner camera it looks like a fully different shade or orange
Not disagreeing but this effect is way more pronounced on the orange jerseys. In some shots they look pretty good and in others it makes you want to barf.

Sometimes this even happens in the same shot depending on light sources etc.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
@Drivesaitl
Its just comments. I kind of bring the circus to town in my rant comments. I go a little over the top when I don't like something. ;)

What?????

JK
Your passion is probably why you're so revered here![/QUOTE]

I don’t think that word means what you think it does lol

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I didn't them when they were revealed, but seeing them on ice they aren't that bad.

As far as third jerseys go I like them the least out of all the ones we've had.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
When they switched to adidas they really should've used the blue/white set and had the orange jerseys as their 3rd. The blue adidas jerseys are even nicer than the reebok version and some of the best in the league.

I wish they weren't so averse to trying a different logo/crest on their alternates. Teams like the Bruins and Wings with some of the most iconic sweaters in hockey history can do it, no reason the Oilers shouldn't be able to. The Macfarlane jersey was awesome.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think the jersey is great, I love the unique look of it. It's a bold jersey, similar to the original '06 3rds. My only complaint is that the arm stripes are 2 stripes instead of 3

Reactions: RattsSSV

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I think the jersey is great, I love the unique look of it. It's a bold jersey, similar to the original '06 3rds. My only complaint is that the arm stripes are 2 stripes instead of 3

agreed but I think the jersey you are referring to was unveiled in ‘01/02 season and lasted till ‘06.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
First jersey I've bought since my CCM copper and blue. Missed having a midnight blue jersey on the team (pajamas don't count).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad