Oilers 3rd Jersey Discussion

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The large arm numbers are completely unnecessary.

I like them. Considering it's a kind of plain jersey, (not that much colour/design), the large numbers give it a bit more colour. Plus it makes the extra orange really stand out against the blue.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jersey looks pretty nice in person, I think I actually prefer it over the current oranges.

Here's Nurse and Archibald visiting some season ticket holders and giving them the new jerseys.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Jersey looks pretty nice in person, I think I actually prefer it over the current oranges.

Here's Nurse and Archibald visiting some season ticket holders and giving them the new jerseys.

I think the current orange jerseys are just too painfully orange.
Still not a fan of that bright orange being the logo colour. I wish they would have gone back to copper. The Navy blue and copper was a great combination. Much easier on the eyes.

I think they should have Navy / copper with a white version and then a classic 80s blue with orange as their 3rd jersey

The bright orange jerseys got to go in my opinion

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Why haven’t they tried actual metallic copper thread? And base a colour scheme off that. Obviously some shade of blue would be involved. And blood.

View media item 5955
These copper pyjamas are antimicrobial and anti-odour which should be great for our training staff, plus they only cost 64.99 which is a lot cheaper than an Adidas jersey. WE could save money and smell better, and, I’m not bragging or anything, but I think it still counts as a visual improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRebuild

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
So has anyone got one yet? They look real good in person and something tells me the hockey world will be eating some delicious crow this evening

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
At least it isn't this
8868596.jpg

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
They look really good in person. I’m sure they will look good with all the gear on as well. The big numbers help take up some space which makes the orange stand out nice. Think I’m gonna get a Draisaitl. Anyone know who wears the A’s in the alternate jerseys ?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
At least it isn't this
8868596.jpg
Good lord these are so horrible. Everywhere you look there is something bad. The "Buffalo" above the logo - pick one. The weird triangle around the nhl emblem, weird, and the colors don't continue to the neck. White stripes along the arms are bad. Why the silver cuffs. This looks like what a 7 year old would make on an NHL jersey creator.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought these Oilers third Jersey depictions were a joke. People playing around with how bad 3rd jerseys are.

This Jersey plays around with every logical color construction possible.

One thing is the contrast. Theres not enough. Watching on even HDTV its harder to see the numbers than a huge contrast. Its striking how much move visible the Wings Numbers were than the Oilers.

Color wise the look is incredibly boring, the colors don't seem to work with each other and the Orange parts looks like some cheap ribbon trim.

In all this looks like a bad ripoff Chinese Jersey manufactured off a printing press with two colors.

Just horrendous. That they market this off as something worth having is pretty incredible. But people will convince themselves to like it, as they often do.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I thought these Oilers third Jersey depictions were a joke. People playing around with how bad 3rd jerseys are.

One thing is the contrast. Theres not enough. Watching on even HDTV its harder to see the numbers than a huge contrast. Its striking how much move visible the Wings Numbers were than the Oilers.

Color wise the look is incredibly boring, the colors don't seem to work with each other and the Orange parts looks like some cheap ribbon trim.

In all this looks like a bad ripoff Chinese Jersey manufactured off a printing press with two colors.

Just horrendous. That they market this off as something worth having is pretty incredible. But people will convince themselves to like it, as they often do.

I agree but a bunch of people here seem to like it. If it was a one-off Halloween jersey i wouldnt complain, but as it is... im complaining. Sucks.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Everyone is different of course, but my 11 year old woke up this morning to watch the highlights and kept going on about how ugly he thought the jerseys were. I agreed with him. But to each their own. In the end it really matters very little.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

So you don't like them. You could have just said that. It's all subjective.

Reactions: AUAIOMRN

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
New Oilers Jersey.jpg

Finally seeing these in action. Here are my takeaways.

Positives -

They look very good up close. Especially the names and numbers on the back. I love how the light gives a ethereal feeling to the orange colour.
They definitely seem to work well in captured stills.
Everything up close works nicely, especially the blue contrast with the orange.

Negatives -

But unfortunately, I don't think the logo is appropriate for this particular jersey. For a minimalist design for the jersey, the oilers logo is too busy and it gets lost without any white to accent it. We still don't have a proper minimalist oiler logo to make it work.

One of the biggest things I noticed was watching them from afar. Everything that makes it work up close, is gone from a distance. It just seemed...off.
Doesn't really inspire much from game camera standpoint, and this is where you think some white would help but that would make it a totally different design.

Overall -
I liked the attempt at something new, and I hope they keep going down that path.
I don't think these jerseys are that bad but they aren't really that great either.
If they can design a jersey that will solve the negatives while keeping the positives that are already working.
We might see the best oiler jersey yet to come, but until then. Not bad.

The orange homes were fine the past few years but it's time to bring back the blue jerseys while they keep experimenting with the thirds.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
As long as they keep winning games while wearing them, I feel like they could grow on me via association. As they are, there's nothing to like or dislike, it's just neutral as all get-out.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So you don't like them. You could have just said that. It's all subjective.

Not really.

The whole point of putting numbers on a Jersey is those numbers being maximally visible. With this poor contrast they are not. Even on a large HDTV screen it was harder to see the numbers than with normative contrasting Jerseys. Numbers on jerseys have the purpose to easily identify players. Its the whole point of having them.

But some colors also don't go together in other ways than just lack of contrast. These two colors don't even work with each other. Not having any white separation in these jerseys maximizes the juxtaposed colors into a stark nightmarish color scheme.

If you painted the outside of your house and fence in these two colors people wouldn't even slow down during an open house. They would drive right by. Some color schemes are so ugly they almost hurt to look at it. That the most common critique comment of these jerseys is "Halloween Colors" is probably not by accident.

There are hue palettes of Orange and Blue that could potentially work OK. These are not apparently the right hues.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Not really.

The whole point of putting numbers on a Jersey is those numbers being maximally visible. With this poor contrast they are not. Even on a large HDTV screen it was harder to see the numbers than with normative contrasting Jerseys. Numbers on jerseys have the purpose to easily identify players. Its the whole point of having them.

But some colors also don't go together in other ways than just lack of contrast. These two colors don't even work with each other. Not having any white separation in these jerseys maximizes the juxtaposed colors into a stark nightmarish color scheme.

If you painted the outside of your house and fence in these two colors people wouldn't even slow down during an open house. They would drive right by. Some color schemes are so ugly they almost hurt to look at it. That the most common critique comment of these jerseys is "Halloween Colors" is probably not by accident.

There are hue palettes of Orange and Blue that could potentially work OK. These are not apparently the right hues.
Personally I had no problems reading the giant orange numbers on the back. Neither did the friends I watched it with. I hated them when they first released pictures, but seeing them for real we found we all liked them. Again it's subjective.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Personally I had no problems reading the giant orange numbers on the back. Neither did the friends I watched it with. I hated them when they first released pictures, but seeing them for real we found we all liked them. Again it's subjective.

Good graphic design is not subjective. I write this while writing on a white screen with black type font with lots of pretty colors around the edging and advertising on screen.

If this board was orange font on a dark blue screen it would give good headache all day long and people would spend one minute trying to read and be gone.

That high contrast in numbers vs jerseys is EASIER to read is Objectively established, it is. It is certainly not subjective, as much as you want to try to make it subjective. ;)

Its just comments. I kind of bring the circus to town in my rant comments. I go a little over the top when I don't like something. That doesn't mean people can't have these in the closet and love them. That people have different tastes in colors or combo's is Subjective. That high level contrast is increasingly easy to read with black font on white being the easiest to read is NOT a subjective interpretation, it is a fact.

That I am too verbose by half is an established fact. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad