Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Really liked the way McLellan handled Yamamoto in this game.
The kid was clearly out of his element. I heard Struds on the radio today say that in the pre-season most of the vet players play at about 50%.
Tough wakeup call for Kailer...this isnt pre-season anymore.
I hope he gets some easy minutes in Vancouver to get some confidence.

I too thought Mclellan handled him well EXCEPT that he didn't give him any PP time. The best way to give a young offensive minded player confidence is by putting them in a position where they can create offense and giving him an opportunity on the PP where he would have had time and space to create could have given him a much needed boost of con

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Noticed that too. Sadly for flames fans he was perhaps their best dman. Brodie looked absolutely horrid.
"Best D in the league" just gave up 45 shots, but talking with flames fan at work the Oilers only won because Mcdavid.
If Smith doesn't stand on his head this year it's gonna be a short season for Flames fans. Not enough high end skill, vastly overrated D and the only people who like the flames bottom six are flames fans.

So if we are only good because of McDavid, that means their team isn't good at anything?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I too thought Mclellan handled him well EXCEPT that he didn't give him any PP time. The best way to give a young offensive minded player confidence is by putting them in a position where they can create offense and giving him an opportunity on the PP where he would have had time and space to create could have given him a much needed boost of con

Pretty much agree. Did same thing with JP last year. Put Yamamoto on the PP2 over Cagguila. Put him in a position to succeed. Hopefully he gets a better opportunity against Vancouver.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
maybe he would have if we'd gotten more PP's and the game weren't so tight

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Loved the Oilers playing this song during the pre-game warmup. Sending a message to the Flames? :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So... this McDavid kid. Is he for real? It seems like he is a puck hog who never passes and is only concerned with goals? Who does he think he is - Stamkos? ;) (do I have to add the ;)?)

Yeah...I am not so sure what to think of this McDavid kid.
I think I need a bigger sample size. :D

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Funny reading the other board and seeing their posters try to come up with different game plans and strategies to contain McDavid.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Loved the Oilers playing this song during the pre-game warmup. Sending a message to the Flames? :laugh:

Hehe. I liked that song for a number of different reasons. Mainly the African rhythmic phrasing and the cool inclusion of the
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/mcdavid-is-just-too-good-man~1225239

Jagr spends an entire interview gloating about McDavid and about how he's "too good, man". Flames PR department must be screaming and running in circles with this.

I like this post, but I'm not certain that gloating is the right word to describe Jagr's feelings there though. Perhaps so incredibly impressed that he wants to make a "church of McDavid" happen! :naughty:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Klefbom with 72 CF%(39-15), 79 SCF%(19-5) and 80 HDCF%(12-3) and people don't think he was by far the best defenseman on the ice?

(CF = Corsi For, SCF = Scoring Chance For, HDCF = High Danger Chance For)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Klefbom with 72 CF%(39-15), 79 SCF%(19-5) and 80 HDCF%(12-3) and people don't think he was by far the best defenseman on the ice?

Most seem to think he was the best D on ice.

Maroon has better CF% and SCF% than McDavid, doesn't mean he was better though.

It was a dominant performance by the 1st line / 1st pair. Separating these guys based on Corsi after one game is not really relevant. I am not against using advstats but many of these numbers are completely dependent on large sample sizes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think that McTrashboat pretty much summed up my thoughts on this. Very tight game and the kid was apparently a bundle of nerves. I have no issue at all with the way McLellan addressed that...he would have a better feel than anybody about how much ice time Yamamoto should get and when he should get it.
I suspect we will see a lot more of Yamamoto in the Vancouver game.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Most seem to think he was the best D on ice.

Maroon has better CF% and SCF% than McDavid, doesn't mean he was better though.

It was a dominant performance by the 1st line / 1st pair. Separating these guys based on Corsi after one game is not really relevant. I am not against using advstats but many of these numbers are completely dependent on large sample sizes.

We're not talking about a small difference between Klefbom and Russel though.

It's blatantly obvious who was better last night, by the numbers.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
We're not talking about a small difference between Klefbom and Russel though.

It's blatantly obvious who was better last night, by the numbers.

I am not arguing Russell was better than Klefbom, I would be arguing that these numbers are not proof he was.

Klefbom most common line mates:
Larsson, Drai, Maroon, McD, RNH, Lucic.

Russell's:
Benning, Strome, Jokinen, Caggiula, Kassian

... and they faced more or less the same level of opposition.

With that in mind I am not really surprised at the numbers and I don't think they are representative of their individual performances.

Still, Klefbom was better. But Russell played a very different role.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Klefbom has rarely been anything but a tier better than Kris Russell, so I'm not sure why that's the discussion.

I'm not a Russell fan, but I think that says more about Klefbom than it does Kris Russell.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Klefbom has rarely been anything but a tier better than Kris Russell, so I'm not sure why that's the discussion.

I'm not a Russell fan, but I think that says more about Klefbom than it does Kris Russell.

My point was not that Russell is better than Klefbom.

The point is that using those numbers to prove it is not the right way. It would be like me saying that Russell was better than Klefbom and Larsson since he had 0 give aways on the night while the others had 2 and 3 respectively. Of course it is not significative, but neither are the corsi numbers after 1 GP and independent of external factors.

Anyhow, I will stop here since I think I am derailing the thread with this and it really is not that important.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I actually thought Russell wasn't that good against Calgary.. well, in some stretches. Klefbom was superb though.. especially in the offensive zone.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Damn the stats! Giordano, Hamonic, Hamilton, Brodie >>> Klefbom :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad