Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
They're great at defending. Not as good at puck moving, especially without Sekera. To me, that should be a priority, but they get the job done.
Best pair in the league might be a stretch but they're very good.
The stats guys are right on Russell and so are his defenders. He does some things well but has serious flaws. Like most players.

The stat guys are never right, Russell was a beast out there.best d men on the blue line.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just noticed on the stat sheet that McDavid didn't take a single faceoff. Makes me wonder if the strategy was to free him up as soon as the puck hits the ice.
Interesting.

I think this makes McDavid harder to neutralize.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Draisaitl is better at faceoffs.

He is but I think there was more to it than that.
These 2 arent going to play together all of the time so McDavid will have to take some draws eventually.
I think that McLellan was trying to free McDavid up along the wall.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He is but I think there was more to it than that.
These 2 arent going to play together all of the time so McDavid will have to take some draws eventually.
I think that McLellan was trying to free McDavid up along the wall.
Most definitely I can see that, having the threat of mcdavid just taking off right as the puck drops could cause for some nervous defencemen

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Anybody know exactly how many breakaways McDavid had this game? I'm thinking of starting a McDavid breakaway counter just out of pure interest. Haven't found any site on internet that keeps track of breakaways.
I counted 4, although the one where he tried going five hole was more of a partial breakaway, but could definitely be counted as one.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Note: The Players grades take into account the player's role on the team!

A+- McDavid, Klefbom

A - Kassian, Larsson, Talbot, Draisaitl, Nurse

B+ - Nugent-hopkins, Maroon,

B - Russel, Strome, Kharia, Yamamoto, Jokien, Lucic, Gryba, rest of the bottom 6

C+ - Benning,

Russel had a great game. I'd give him a A+

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Russell was the only defenseman who I noticed mess up multiple times last night.

Had his penalty and also at one point turned the puck over in the D-zone and then fell over behind the net apropos of nothing, but Talbot made the save.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I love Flames fans. Anytime they lose to us, "they just haven't got going yet". "Wait until the top guys get up to speed". "It's the system"

How about they just flat out are not that good? lol

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Would like to try this next game, although TMac probably wont fiddle with the lines too much:

Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-Draisaitl-Kassian
Jokinen-RNH-Strome
Khaira-Letestu-Caggiula

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I love Flames fans. Anytime they lose to us, "they just haven't got going yet". "Wait until the top guys get up to speed". "It's the system"

How about they just flat out are not that good? lol
Bunch of them are always like "First ten games dont matter, teams are just getting used to stuff", well all teams start the year with zero games played...

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Great team win. The one thing that was real good was the entire team played a good defensive structure. Missing people or not, sure makes a big difference when the forwards help out as opposed to cherry picking like they did a couple years ago. McDavid was god like. Those new oranges, I actually really liked them now once I have seen the team play with them. Now on to HNIC and the canucks. So looking forward to that one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I urge the pro-Hamonic crowd who were rattled when Calgary got him to go watch 1:05-1:15 of the condensed game highlights on the oilers site. In under 10 seconds Hamonic tries to hit Maroon and bounces off onto his ass. Tries to clear him from the crease with 4 or 5 cross checks to no avail. Then gets rag dolled onto his ass again by Maroon. Woof this guy is going to have a rough time trying to play his physical brand of hockey in the Western Conference. I'll be extremely surprised if he plays over 70 games this year.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Against Calgary last night? Not even close. Klefbom was easily the best D of either team and Larsson was a close 2nd.
He was the best.
Russell was the only defenseman who I noticed mess up multiple times last night.

Had his penalty and also at one point turned the puck over in the D-zone and then fell over behind the net apropos of nothing, but Talbot made the save.
no he was good ,you only see the bad with him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He was the best.

no he was good ,you only see the bad with him.
I love Russell, but he really wasn't. Klefbom looked like an elite #1D all night, and Larsson played a flawless shutdown game of a #2. Russell can be my #4D any day of the week, and even when he doesn't have his strongest outings he still provides a lot in the way of puck retrieval and shot blocking. He's a nice reliable guy that I know is not going to get beat wide out there and is going to work his ass off.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really liked the way McLellan handled Yamamoto in this game.
The kid was clearly out of his element. I heard Struds on the radio today say that in the pre-season most of the vet players play at about 50%.
Tough wakeup call for Kailer...this isnt pre-season anymore.
I hope he gets some easy minutes in Vancouver to get some confidence.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Can anyone please tell me if Loud mouth Hemsky fan will be doing post game summaries? I really miss his stuff.

Reactions: Aerrol

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Just noticed on the stat sheet that McDavid didn't take a single faceoff. Makes me wonder if the strategy was to free him up as soon as the puck hits the ice.
Interesting.

I think this makes McDavid harder to neutralize.
So... this McDavid kid. Is he for real? It seems like he is a puck hog who never passes and is only concerned with goals? Who does he think he is - Stamkos? ;) (do I have to add the ;)?)

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I counted 4, although the one where he tried going five hole was more of a partial breakaway, but could definitely be counted as one.

Did you count the one where he went around Hamonic but lost the handle? Another partial break there, but he was basically in alone from the top of the circles and down.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
For the stats it is worth noting that Russel/Benning basically played similar opposition that Klefbom/Larsson did, but with the difference of doing it together with our 3rd/4th liners. No wonder his pair got outshot by a fair margin.

Basically everyone had a good game imo. Yamamoto had a bit of I tough time I think.

Nurse had some issues offensively imo. He has a good shot, but seems that he only used it when Smith had clear view of it. He didn't search for traffic and you need to gave a pretty insane shot to be able to score those goals from afar without screening. Maybe he'll come around though, it is just game 1.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I urge the pro-Hamonic crowd who were rattled when Calgary got him to go watch 1:05-1:15 of the condensed game highlights on the oilers site. In under 10 seconds Hamonic tries to hit Maroon and bounces off onto his ass. Tries to clear him from the crease with 4 or 5 cross checks to no avail. Then gets rag dolled onto his ass again by Maroon. Woof this guy is going to have a rough time trying to play his physical brand of hockey in the Western Conference. I'll be extremely surprised if he plays over 70 games this year.

Noticed that too. Sadly for flames fans he was perhaps their best dman. Brodie looked absolutely horrid.
"Best D in the league" just gave up 45 shots, but talking with flames fan at work the Oilers only won because Mcdavid.
If Smith doesn't stand on his head this year it's gonna be a short season for Flames fans. Not enough high end skill, vastly overrated D and the only people who like the flames bottom six are flames fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00