'nother 8 years of McDAVID!

Step 3: !*#()%@&!#*

Step 4: Enjoy

Reactions: Paralyzer

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I actually thought Russell wasn't that good against Calgary.. well, in some stretches. Klefbom was superb though.. especially in the offensive zone.
I Russell was good, he and Benning, though not dominating like Klefbom & Larsson, held their own well and limited Calgary to basically nothing.

Also, Klefbom was a legit #1 defenseman in this game, full stop. Amazing performance.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I actually thought Russell wasn't that good against Calgary.. well, in some stretches. Klefbom was superb though.. especially in the offensive zone.

I am a Russell fan, but I thought he was the worst Oiler that night besides maybe Yama, and he just didn't play that well. Benning had a few minor bad moments that didn't amount to anything against us but otherwise was great. The pairing as a unit inspired confidence as a middle pairing overall but that was mostly Benning on this occasion.

My 2 cents anyways.

As for Klefbom he was amazing both ends for the most part but I thought it was similar to last season where Larsson again did the heavy lifting in the D zone and Klefbom the good work in the O zone. Both looked a little better in their opposite roles but both still held to those roles for the majority of the game.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The main boards are great to read. I'm going to enjoy the plethora of McDavid threads as he reveals more of his magic throughout the season. Some people sure can't stand the attention he rightfully receives, and I find it humorous.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The main boards are great to read. I'm going to enjoy the plethora of McDavid threads as he reveals more of his magic throughout the season. Some people sure can't stand the attention he rightfully receives, and I find it humorous.
Honestly I get a bit of the annoyance out of it. There were three threads started on McDavid in like an hour on the main boards during/after the game on Wednesday and one was a dumb hyperbolic thread about McDavid being the best player since Gretzky.

It's easy to see how that would be annoying.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
"Hit him!"

Brilliant. I'm sure nobody else has thought of that.

I saw a guy on the mains say "skate faster". That particular poster seems to be in denial or something. Probably never laced up a pair of skates (not that you have to to be realistic about something like this anyways). Totally clueless

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Honestly I get a bit of the annoyance out of it. There were three threads started on McDavid in like an hour on the main boards during/after the game on Wednesday and one was a dumb hyperbolic thread about McDavid being the best player since Crosby.

It's easy to see how that would be annoying.
You mean Gretzky...right?

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think that McTrashboat pretty much summed up my thoughts on this. Very tight game and the kid was apparently a bundle of nerves. I have no issue at all with the way McLellan addressed that...he would have a better feel than anybody about how much ice time Yamamoto should get and when he should get it.
I suspect we will see a lot more of Yamamoto in the Vancouver game.

We pretty much see eye to eye on this but I don't think having him on the PP would have harmed the team. It's not like this kid plays a mistake prone game.
In any event, I agree that Mclellan will give him a bigger opportunity if not against Vancouver then soon before they send him down for good. Either way, these are valuable lessons for him.

Reactions: Lord Quas

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I could bath in the tears of CP right now. They are now just coming to the sudden, and very dark, reality that Connor McDavid is a generational player that is going to torch their team for the next decade. They are now trying to scheme up ways of "shutting down" McDavid like how you shut down Gretzky. Hate to say it Calgary, but you could shut down Gretzky in the 80s, and you cant shut down McDavid today. 29 other coaches schemed up ways to shut him down and 29 winded up ripping their game plan up into shreds after the 1st period

Best thing to do is just accept the 2 Mcdavid goals upcoming in a game as a foregone conclusion and start digging out of the hole from there

Edit: And to them, their only hope of shutting down McDavid (Like how Luke Skywalker was the only hope of taking down the Evil Empire).... goes to Sam "26 Point" Bennett. My god haha. Its so easy to shut down Crosby, all we needed to do was use Nail Yakupov in a shutdown role!

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I could bath in the tears of CP right now. They are now just coming to the sudden, and very dark, reality that Connor McDavid is a generational player that is going to torch their team for the next decade. They are now trying to scheme up ways of "shutting down" McDavid like how you shut down Gretzky. Hate to say it Calgary, but you could shut down Gretzky in the 80s, and you cant shut down McDavid today. 29 other coaches schemed up ways to shut him down and 29 winded up ripping their game plan up into shreds after the 1st period

Best thing to do is just accept the 2 Mcdavid goals upcoming in a game as a foregone conclusion and start digging out of the hole from there

Edit: And to them, their only hope of shutting down McDavid (Like how Luke Skywalker was the only hope of taking down the Evil Empire).... goes to Sam "26 Point" Bennett. My god haha. Its so easy to shut down Crosby, all we needed to do was use Nail Yakupov in a shutdown role!
Its definitely not easy to shut down McDavid. But last year... it was Anaheim and Toronto that had the most success... with Kesler and Kadri shadowing him all over the ice. If I was coaching against McDavid, thats probably the game plan I would use.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its definitely not easy to shut down McDavid. But last year... it was Anaheim and Toronto that had the most success... with Kesler and Kadri shadowing him all over the ice. If I was coaching against McDavid, thats probably the game plan I would use.

With Anaheim it took an entire 5 man unit dedicated to shutting him down (with Kesler shadowing him) to effect him in any sort of way (still had 3 goals, 5 point in 7 games). This was also a sophomore player in his 1st ever playoffs with just around 100 games of pro hockey vs a team chalked full of vets. You can bet that Connor has learnt from that an evolved to beat that type of coverage

Reactions: Dorian2

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
It's strange to me how the Oilers seem to always start off really well and Calgary always sucks massively at the start. Seems like this happens every single year.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's strange to me how the Oilers seem to always start off really well and Calgary always sucks massively at the start. Seems like this happens every single year.

Flames only really started to improve once almost every club began to start their backups against them.

Reactions: OilerTyler

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I saw a guy on the mains say "skate faster". That particular poster seems to be in denial or something. Probably never laced up a pair of skates (not that you have to to be realistic about something like this anyways). Totally clueless

Yeah, I wanted to cure cancer. "Be smarter," they said, "be smarter."

Reactions: Dorian2

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
There is a Flame fan on CP talking about their record against the Oilers during their GLORY years .....2009-2012

I just don't know what to say...

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
There is a Flame fan on CP talking about their record against the Oilers during their GLORY years .....2009-2012

You mean the glory years of Rene Bourque, GlenX, Dave Moss and Oli Jokinen?

During those years... everyone had their glory years vs the Oilers.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016

The Cowtown Puck Forums, where you can hate on Edm, and feel better about yourselves.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
That's amazing.

The funny thing about that video is that the rest of the Oilers were just laying back... slowly peeling back and going off on a line change so it was McDavid all alone vs the Goliath of the entire sensational "best in the NHL" Flames D. :)

He made it look so easy that it was effectively THE ONE vs nothing. :)

He went into warp speed, quantum leaped into another dimension and took the puck for a journey and scored an inevitable goal and then skated back into the previous reality to accept the congratulations of his teammates while watching the despair of his opponents who had to watch helplessly from another realm knowing there's absolutely nothing they could have done to alter what just happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad