Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3, Bruins 2 (OT)

WhyYouHaveToBeMad

Aug 26, 2018
It’s not about being better but IMO Bear is pretty close to Bouchard right now and can be recalled easily while properly developing Bouchard at the same time. Did Draisaitl have anything to prove in juniors? He was literally the highest scoring player from his draft year. Doesn’t mean you can’t get better and mature physically and mentally. Playing in the world juniors and with his team taking a step Bouchard can learn a lot about playing in high pressure situations while working on his game.
I agree with you on Bear, I think he's almost just as good as Bouchard right now. I guess we are disagreeing on where it is better to develop Bouchard, nhl or junior. My point is we have Mcdavid and should ice the best team possible, I am sick of losing. I would have the following d pairs:
Klef-Larson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russel-Bear
Instead of benning, garrison,

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Bouchard isn't making a difference there, not yet.

You'd think watching Bouchard lose his assignment for 2 GA last night would remind you of that.
Yes and it's why down the stretch he didn't see the ice. However I would like the team to try and put him in more positions for offense.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Bouchard hasn't been close to our worst Dman. He's learning more here than he would in the O. The AHL would be ideal for him but not a 4th year in junior.

Yeah it's dumb, but if the choice is letting him rip up junior or keep him up and lose another good player to expansion down the road, it's a no-brainer.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah it's dumb, but if the choice is letting him rip up junior or keep him up and lose another good player to expansion down the road, it's a no-brainer.

No. No wasting another year of McDavid's contract. Ice the best team possible and deal with the expansion draft when we have to.

For all we know burning a year of Bouchard's ELC will be irrelevant to the entry draft. The proposal for the new/old rink in Seattle just got approved three weeks ago. We still don't know for sure when the Millionaires or whatever they call the team will first play in the league or what the expansion draft rules will be.

The Oilers will be better this season with Bouchard on the team. Keep him on the team.

Under the rules for the Vegas draft Bouchard would have been exempt even if he accrues a season this year. "Only players with more than two years professional experience" were draftable.

Are people thinking Seattle won't start play until 2021-22?

Reactions: WhyYouHaveToBeMad

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Seattle delays their entry by a year, the Oilers are pretty screwed. They will lose one of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi pretty much if they use Bouchard the full season if that's the case because they'll have to protect 4 D even if they buy out Russell.

That leaves McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl having to be protected. Even if you assume they some how get rid of Lucic's deal by then, that still only leaves one more forward you can protect.

I would send him down, it's not worth it. Yes he looks decent, but by the same token it's not like he's scoring or setting up goals and he's been on ice for a few GA. If that's the net result, then basically Ethan Bear can probably give you the same thing this season.

Reactions: mouz135

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

5 more games to see what he'll be like at the end of 9 games before making that call.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Seattle delays their entry by a year, the Oilers are pretty screwed. They will lose one of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi pretty much if they use Bouchard the full season if that's the case because they'll have to protect 4 D even if they buy out Russell.

That leaves McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl having to be protected. Even if you assume they some how get rid of Lucic's deal by then, that still only leaves one more forward you can protect.

I would send him down, it's not worth it. Yes he looks decent, but by the same token it's not like he's scoring or setting up goals and he's been on ice for a few GA. If that's the net result, then basically Ethan Bear can probably give you the same thing this season.

Like how Anaheim lost Manson? We will likely just have to pay a big toll like a 1st and good prospect or we trade someone good away for futures and say F U to Seattle. You can't keep *****ing about not winning and then proceed to put out a weaker roster because of what happens in 2-3 years time (not directed at you specifically, just anyone that wants to win now but also come up roses for the expansion draft). We should be thankful that we got away unscathed from the first expansion draft and accept that we likely will have to pay a toll for the 2nd one.

Reactions: LaGu

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like how Anaheim lost Manson? We will likely just have to pay a big toll like a 1st and good prospect or we trade someone good away for futures and say F U to Seattle. You can't keep *****ing about not winning and then proceed to put out a weaker roster because of what happens in 2-3 years time (not directed at you specifically, just anyone that wants to win now but also come up roses for the expansion draft). We should be thankful that we got away unscathed from the first expansion draft and accept that we likely will have to pay a toll for the 2nd one.

We likely are gonna have to give up picks just to get rid of bad contracts like Sekera and Lucic going forward, do we really want to also spend picks for an expansion draft too?

There's also zero guarantee Seattle will be as nice as Vegas was. They may just flat out take the BPA from each team, I would. Yamamoto is also from up the street in Spokane and has fans in that area, if say he was unprotected, I think Seattle takes that and runs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree, but ideally, he gets his 9 and goes down and bear takes his spot.
Why is that the ideal? From what I've seen, if he continues as he is, I would happy for him to see 39 games, or the whole season.

He's an 18 year old, but he doesn't look over his head or out of place.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No. No wasting another year of McDavid's contract. Ice the best team possible and deal with the expansion draft when we have to.

We're not going anywhere this year, Bouchard or not.

For all we know burning a year of Bouchard's ELC will be irrelevant to the entry draft. The proposal for the new/old rink in Seattle just got approved three weeks ago. We still don't know for sure when the Millionaires or whatever they call the team will first play in the league or what the expansion draft rules will be.

Pretty sure the expansion draft rules for Seattle will be the same or very similar to what Vegas had. Bettman has said as much.

The Oilers will be better this season with Bouchard on the team. Keep him on the team.

Under the rules for the Vegas draft Bouchard would have been exempt even if he accrues a season this year. "Only players with more than two years professional experience" were draftable.

Yeah I suppose you're right but there's still contracts to consider. Why burn a year when we're far from a lock to even make the playoffs?

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
What's the cost of acquiring a no. 5 guy. That's the issue. I'm ok with Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson and Russell as a top 4, but Benning, Garrison, Bear, etc for depth is asking for trouble.

Trade for a no.5 type, could be a lefty to pair with Benning, send down Bouchard and hope there aren't any significant injuries. A no. 5 shouldn't cost more than a 3rd rounder. I think by game 15 some teams like Detroit might be ready for scorched earth. Get on the horn Chia.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What's the cost of acquiring a no. 5 guy. That's the issue. I'm ok with Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson and Russell as a top 4, but Benning, Garrison, Bear, etc for depth is asking for trouble.

Trade for a no.5 type, could be a lefty to pair with Benning, send down Bouchard and hope there aren't any significant injuries. A no. 5 shouldn't cost more than a 3rd rounder. I think by game 15 some teams like Detroit might be ready for scorched earth. Get on the horn Chia.
Well if you are PC and you decide to stay status quo it could be your job.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The latest seems to be that Seattle is pushing for 2020-2021 even with the threat of a lockout. The BoG seems set to vote on this before Christmas. If that happens as you say Bouchard would be exempt. But in fact he would be exempt if he plays 39 games as well so there is still lots of time to worry about that. So for now I fully agree that it makes sense to just play your best line-up.

Reactions: shoop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The latest seems to be that Seattle is pushing for 2020-2021 even with the threat of a lockout. The BoG seems set to vote on this before Christmas. If that happens as you say Bouchard would be exempt. But in fact he would be exempt if he plays 39 games as well so there is still lots of time to worry about that. So for now I fully agree that it makes sense to just play your best line-up.

There is talk the NHL is pushing them to delay by a year. There's also a lot of uncertainty with their arena situation and the whole NBA returning there issue that could easily delay things by a year.

If you're cool with losing a Yamamoto then fine go ahead, bank it all this season. But don't sit there a couple of years from now saying "oh man, I had no idea we could lose Yamamoto or Puljujarvi because of that now meaningless season!". Oilers won't have that excuse.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We likely are gonna have to give up picks just to get rid of bad contracts like Sekera and Lucic going forward, do we really want to also spend picks for an expansion draft too?

There's also zero guarantee Seattle will be as nice as Vegas was. They may just flat out take the BPA from each team, I would. Yamamoto is also from up the street in Spokane and has fans in that area, if say he was unprotected, I think Seattle takes that and runs.

Sekera could be a buyout candidate, Looch is not. We will need some ELC's to come in and help out in the next few years while the cap is tight.

Agreed, I would go BPA from everyone as well unless I like someone better and get a pick as well. We won't know until the time comes and in the meantime need this team to look more like the team 2 seasons ago than the ones from 11 of the last 12 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad