Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 - Canucks 1 (OT) || Shooter Tutor Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Desjardins is the worst coach in the league.

At some point, or as soon as the Sedins dramatically slow down and Hamhuis/Vrbata leave as UFA's, the 'Nucks are going to have to fully embrace the rebuild.....and there's no way Desjardins will be the coach when that happens....another year to endure WD and then it's on to Travis Green imo.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It doesn't look like a team with a brutal coach, manager and players to me. The record isn't why I say that. Despite having some key players play poorly, the team still looks competitive.

'Brutal' is too strong a word I agree (except for the coach) but its a competitive league and even bad teams are "in" most games. And certainly a few of our players - Miller and Tanev mainly - have been fantastic so that further covers up other flaws and problems with this team. And sure a lot of guys haven't been scoring but that's kinda the problem also. Adam Cracknell and Radim Vrbata 100% arent going to continue their current paces but I suspect Cracknells pace is more inflated than Vrbatas is deflated right now. It's not like Vrbata has been a consistent, reliable 30g player over his career. He's hit it twice but is really more of a 20g guy. And other than Vrbata, nobody (including Daniel) looks like they'll threaten even 20.

So are we a good team that has succeeded despite some slow starts? Or are we a bad team that's gotten great goaltending and a fortunate schedule so far?

Can't say for sure but I can't blame some people for leaning towards the latter.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
no, no. this is just a shit post.

earlier this season - hamhuis had a -22 corsi in one game - forget which one. sbisa was around 0. should we, because of those "25 minutes" because that's clearly a big enough sample size, then start playing sbisa more than hamhuis? no.

it's a small sample size, i don't have any agenda. i wanted virtanen to make this team.

but you won't respond to this post now.

and horvat shouldn't have played the three more minutes at even strength than virtanen/bae. it's not as if i haven't implied or directly said horvat has been awful the past four games

waiting for a proper answer @@@Y2K

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
At some point, or as soon as the Sedins dramatically slow down and Hamhuis/Vrbata leave as UFA's, the 'Nucks are going to have to fully embrace the rebuild.....and there's no way Desjardins will be the coach when that happens....another year to endure WD and then it's on to Travis Green imo.

travis green seems like a fabulous coach

if the canucks miss the playoffs this year - hypothetical ofc - do the sedins ask out?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't like Willie but this roster and ice time distribution has way too much Benning stink on it. No real NHL coach would give Sbisa this much leeway. But the lack of any sort of in-game coaching technique (line-matching, zone starts, sane ice time distribution, etc.) all fall on Willie.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
travis green seems like a fabulous coach

if the canucks miss the playoffs this year - hypothetical ofc - do the sedins ask out?

Wouldn't blame them

If they did, watching the Aqualinis panic would probably be golden

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Havent the sedins said they expect to be a marginal team for a year or two and then be back in the hunt for the cup?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
'Brutal' is too strong a word I agree (except for the coach) but its a competitive league and even bad teams are "in" most games. And certainly a few of our players - Miller and Tanev mainly - have been fantastic so that further covers up other flaws and problems with this team. And sure a lot of guys haven't been scoring but that's kinda the problem also. Adam Cracknell and Radim Vrbata 100% arent going to continue their current paces but I suspect Cracknells pace is more inflated than Vrbatas is deflated right now. It's not like Vrbata has been a consistent, reliable 30g player over his career. He's hit it twice but is really more of a 20g guy. And other than Vrbata, nobody (including Daniel) looks like they'll threaten even 20.

So are we a good team that has succeeded despite some slow starts? Or are we a bad team that's gotten great goaltending and a fortunate schedule so far?

Can't say for sure but I can't blame some people for leaning towards the latter.

Vrbata has two 30+ goal seasons, as well as two more close to 30. It's not unreasonable to expect him to be a sniper for this team.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Sekeras and Price are having a go at Desjardins right now for his line deployment last night. It must be bad when even the pro-Canucks media starts taking you to task for trotting Cracknell out for an O zone face off with rested Sedins sitting on the bench.

meh, they're usually ok in trying to look at game events objectively

if bmac and taylor actually criticize a linden/benning/desjardins decision then let me know because i don't think that's happened yet

Jun 15, 2014
Just wanted to say one thing to WD.

We need more Prust, Dorsett and Cracknell!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Vrbata has two 30+ goal seasons, as well as two more close to 30. It's not unreasonable to expect him to be a sniper for this team.

Going backward to the first lockout his seasons have been:

12 (29 pace)
13 (24 pace)

Lots of variance in there, so I wouldn't be surprised if he finished anywhere between 20 and 30. So far he's looking and playing a lot closer to the 20 goal version than the 30 goal type.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Good article on Prust:

The golf-ball lump on his ankle still looks like a Titleist. And it’s why, upon further review, you can grant Brandon Prust a mulligan for not taking an impressive NHL pre-season swing.

It was more like a shank. Or maybe a slice.

When the Vancouver Canucks’ fourth-line winger noticed his ankle was swollen halfway through the summer from irritation caused by the rubbing of his skate against the bone, Prust required surgery to remove a cyst. It not only curtailed critical off-season conditioning, he wasn’t able to skate until the end of August. And when Prust arrived in Prince George for training camp on Sept. 17 after medicals, his agenda was different than most.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/kuzma+prust+still+finding+stride+with/11450395/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Its crazy to me that people thought the kid line had a good game against the Oilers. What's crazier is that at least one poster thinks they outchanced the Sedins last game. Don't get me wrong, I would like our young players to succeed and not be sent down, but that line wasn't impressive last night. They were below average and I don't really have a problem with Desjardins not playing them more.

arsmaster*

Its crazy to me that people thought the kid line had a good game against the Oilers. What's crazier is that at least one poster thinks they outchanced the Sedins last game. Don't get me wrong, I would like our young players to succeed and not be sent down, but that line wasn't impressive last night. They were below average and I don't really have a problem with Desjardins not playing them more.

They looked more likely to score than sutter's line and cracknell's line in limited minutes.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
meh, they're usually ok in trying to look at game events objectively

if bmac and taylor actually criticize a linden/benning/desjardins decision then let me know because i don't think that's happened yet

Bmac and Donny are too busy discussing cheese and the 70's to even think about speaking negatively about Benning and Co.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Bmac and Donny are too busy discussing cheese and the 70's to even think about speaking negatively about Benning and Co.

why would any of our media even begin to criticize them? they are just cheerleaders with pom poms, nothing more really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad